Mach 460 Dismantle

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
The day has come for the whole Mach 460 to come out. My question is...the rear huge plastic speaker/amplifier holder...did you reuse it or toss it? Thanks

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Re doing the whole sound system. I ordered all speakers that will fit. I can put them back in the mach 460 case, or mount them from top or bottom of rear steel. I'm thinking they'll rattle without the mach 460 case. I wasn't trying to go all out dyna mat, or sound deadening.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So if you're thinking using the 460 case will help ensure the speakers don't rattle, why not just use it?

srdigital

Established Member
reusing the plastic enclosure will increase the bass response of the speakers in the package tray considerably. most speakers work best inside some sort of enclosure (door speakers use the door cavity, subs a box, etc). the trunk is much too large to be an effective 'box' for a smaller driver pushing less sub-bass frequencies.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I ditched it but I also put put 2 12"s in the trunk so the rear speakers were just filler, the boxes wouldn't clear the tray

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I ditched it but I also put put 2 12"s in the trunk so the rear speakers were just filler, the boxes wouldn't clear the tray
The day has come for the whole Mach 460 to come out. My question is...the rear huge plastic speaker/amplifier holder...did you reuse it or toss it? Thanks

Fun fact, I had a Mach 1000 with stock subs that I had to move to another car, anyway the way the subs mount is nuts. Long story short the way the factory ones mount is, there are two plugs that you can pull out on each side that go through the trunk floor and correspond with TWO HOLES IN THE REAR FRAME RAILS! Takes a stupid long bolt someone lost mine and I had to get new ones I think they were like 130mm and 150mm can't remember. The secret to the factory subs, the hit is a lot cleaner cause the boxes are literally bolt to the frame not the body. You're not just feeling the air, you feel the subs shaking the actual car. I'd utilize those mounting options if I ever went after market. Impressed Ford went that far. Holes are in all models AFAIK, were in my Cobra, GT and V6 spanning 00-04.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Ive dismantled the rear seats back so far, still need to take out the lower panels...I don't keep a spare, so the cardboard in the trunk mat has warped, separated the felt, cardboard, top carpet? Washed them, threw the cardboard out. I'm thinking...3m adhesive the felt one side of thin plywood, top to other side for strength over spare tire well...throw a lloyd carpet over it. Im putting 2 10's back there @ 4 ohms 700 rms inside 4 6x8, @ 2.5 ohms 480 rms. With the inside being so low in ohms I'm not expecting any bass from them...so if keeping the mach 460 plastic box in the rear is for added bass from the rear 6x8s I don't see the benefit. I do see the need for sound deadening if I don't use them...Im starting to see the need for sound deadening no matter what I do...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not seeing why you need sound deadening if you keep/use the box.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
I'm not seeing why you need sound deadening if you keep/use the box.
Ive not made my mind up on using the 460 box. A short drive to the store last night with the back gutted convinced me it needs sound deadening, everything, every panel was resonating...the borla stingers sounded like an organ playing.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I reused it for the same reasons you've mentioned. Worked out well. Alpine Type-R 6x8 coaxials at each corner getting ~75w from a 5-channel Pioneer amp. I left the factory tweeters in the enclosure so I didn't have to find a way to seal their holes. I had every intention of adding a small (8" or maybe 6.5") sub to round it all out, but discovered that the upgraded speakers along with fair power was plenty adequate. My days of driving around with a trunk full of audio gear are long gone. I'll take SQ over SPL all day long in most cases. I get my fix for "ridiculously loud and excessive" from my home audio setup nowadays.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Friend of mine still has the 460 box with aftermarket speakers. The shop trimmed up the areas where the amps mounted. The box with 2 12's cleared that way.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Friend of mine still has the 460 box with aftermarket speakers. The shop trimmed up the areas where the amps mounted. The box with 2 12's cleared that way.
I'm assuming the factory amps were removed as well and the aftermarket speakers ran from a new amp?
Trying to figure out what I want to do with mine also!
Thanks
Ken

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm assuming the factory amps were removed as well and the aftermarket speakers ran from a new amp?
Trying to figure out what I want to do with mine also!
Thanks
Ken
Correct. He has one of those small aftermarket amps behind the head unit. It's something I'm looking into for when I change out my rear speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread