Mach1 vs 99/01 Cobra

QU!CK

Bite The Bullitt...
Established Member
On the road again...just can't wait to get on the
I'm looking at getting either a Mach1 or 99/01 Cobra sometime very soon. I've done my homework on the New Edge Cobra's but don't know much about the Mach1. I know that it shares the same DOHC 4v (slightly retuned?) but that's about it...

The car will be my daily driver and I drive at least 70-75mi a day so gas mileage is somewhat important to me. I had an 02 GT and typically got 22-23mpg. Would this be obtainable with the Cobra or Mach1?

Thanks!

-J

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Yes. Off course it depends on yoru drving habits and traffic. But 23-27 is a good avg for hwy mach miles. It is amazing how good of MPG these 4Vs get.

The mach has 3.55 gears (instead of 3.27s) better Tranny gears, and better low end TQ, because of the Manifolds. Those are the main differences. Outside of that, it really comes down to looks.

Shade04

Established Member
The Machs have different heads (the better flowing 03 design) and different intake cams.

I will tell you this: I have known two people with 99 Cobras, and both of them have sat in my Mach and said the seats were awesome. They are pretty good seats for a Mustang. Might take that into consideration since it will be a daily :)

And yes I got pretty good mileage when I was stock. At least low 20's. I get 20 mpg right now and that's with 4.10's and cruising at 2600rpm on the highway.

2k1cobra

Established Member
IMO 99/01 cobra look too plain stock they need a cobra r hood and some better rims to look good. Machs look badass even stock.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
So whats the difference with the motors?? I know Mach's share 03 cobra heads, diff intake cams as stated befor, alumn block, don't they have a diff crank and compression?

GtownMACH

smoke tires, not drugs
Established Member
yeah the intake cams and heads are different. I know the heads flow a good deal better than 99,01's. Not sure about the crank... i know 5 speed machs have a forged steel crank but i think the 99,01 5 speeds did too.
Basically here it is... get a mach. Ive ran 3 99,01's that were modded and made it look easy. You cant beat a plenty powerful 4 valve with a solid axle behind it. Plus, machs just looks better!

Mine is also a daily driver and i check my mileage every time i refill gas. I get about an average of 22 or 23 mpg and thats with a little getting on it and lots of stop and go.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Mach has slightly higher compression, better 03 heads, low end intake cams and of course the solid axle. Block, rods, pistons and crank are the same (except the auto mach's, which have the cast crank with results in a lower redline).

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
QU!CK said:
The car will be my daily driver and I drive at least 70-75mi a day so gas mileage is somewhat important to me.

How about a Toyota Corolla? I'm about to buy one for my point A to point B car.

:-D

its back

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Auto's have a cast irn crank, lower redline. Both of them have 10.3:1 compression.
The c/r is actually 10.1:1. As far as the MPG my highest stock was 26.7 with the stock 3.55s when I swapped to my 4.10s, nothing else, I got 27.3. A couple of wot on ramps will kill the average though.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
its back said:
The c/r is actually 10.1:1.

I guess it depends on where you read it. I have read 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.5. I just picked 10.3 because it was an avg. LOL

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
The C/R of a 01 cobra is 9.85:1.

I love my 01 cobra, but as you can tell I junked the IRS and put a Solid axle with 4.30's in it. The Machs are fast with minor bolt-ons. If you plan on Drag racing at all just get the mach1.

almach

Established Member
I loved both cars for different reasons, 01 Cobra: better seats, better ride, it's a Cobra. Mach 1: I love the torque down low, it is faster than my Cobra, it looks bad aZZ. Both cars very similar mileage, they both were my daily drivers, I got more action in the cobra, I think people are scared of the mach. The biggest problem I had with the Mach is trying to take easy when it was new, due to the fact I could see the shaker out the windshield, screaming Hit it hard!!

shame302

I Love Your Mom...
Established Member
the mach has 03 cobra heads? no kidding. i didnt know that. so there basically a 01 + WOP aluminum blocked cobra engine with 03 heads? do they still have garbage pistons?

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
Either car is great. I would shop and find the most bang for the buck. Having said that, a newer, lower mileage, Mach 1 might be right for you.

The Cobra's are the top end Mustangs for the particular year they're produced, and perhaps more collectable. Get an '03 or '04 Cobra to end the "which is faster" debate.

'99 and '01 Cobra's have 320 hp and claim 13.8 in the 1/4 mile. The Mach 1 has 305 hp. Think the time is about the same.

I see Modded GT's, Mach 1's, and Cobra's all getting respect around St. Louis. You'll love a fast, clean Mustang, Mach 1 or Cobra :)

Good luck

Last edited:

Angus

Established Member
SVTRocket said:
'99 and '01 Cobra's have 320 hp and claim 13.8 in the 1/4 mile. The Mach 1 has 305 hp. Think the time is about the same.

'03/'04 Mach's - while factory-rated @ 305 & 310 crank hp respectively - regularly put out equal or better rwhp numbers than the higher factory-rated '99/'01 Cobras.
My '03 Mach made ~ 10 rwhp higher than my '01 Cobra did on the same dyno with about the same mileage.

1/4-mile times are better with the Mach as well (average owner can hit low 13's with practice & great drivers have hit 12.9 - 13.0 under great conditions), although there is some overlap in ET's due to driver experience/track conditions.

32VMACH1

Established Member
almach said:
I loved both cars for different reasons, 01 Cobra: better seats, better ride, it's a Cobra.

I have to dissagree with you on the seats. Even the 03-04 Cobras with the suede leather seats say the Machs seats are more comfortable.

I love both cars (Cobra & Mach) tough decision either way. The 01 Cobras are gonna be a rarity as well as the Machs.

Users who are viewing this thread