*Made my First Pass ever With the Cobra*

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Went out to the Midnights last night for the first time ever with my Cobra. It was also my first time ever using slicks.

I think it went good, but nothing incredible and definitely room to improve. I wish they were giving out slips, so I could see my 60'. My burnout kinda sucked lol, wish I would have heated them up more.

I feel like I can be trapping 129-130+ with more practice?

My set up (main things)
- Kenne Bell 2.2 (seeing 20lbs last night)
- All the Fuel mods
- Solid Rear axle
- 3.73s
- Bassani o/r X
- Borla Stingers

Anyway, here is the video.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjcmIpKAeI8"]YouTube- '03 Kenne Bell Cobra at Tulsa Raceway Park[/nomedia]

11.5 @ 125

For it being my very first pass ever, along with first pass in any car with slicks, I didn't think it was too bad.

Comments / criticism / tips are welcome

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Decent for the 1st time out, but I won't blow smoke up your ass and tell you what I saw.

2nd gear burnout? Definitely needs more smoke. You should hold your burnout at least 4-5 seconds AFTER you begin to see smoke. Need more brake (will stop you from rolling forward) and more gas. Shifting needs work, I saw you hit the brakes on the 1-2 shift. Granny shifting will not get you the traps you want to see out of a KB 2.2 @ 20lbs. Tires spun out the hole, probably due to burnout. You should definitely be trapping 130+.

You should not have run a pro tree being your first time out. Forget the green light for now, gets the RPMs where you want them and dump the clutch and work on getting out the hole.

Oh and you look like you were all over the track in the video, try to stay in the groove next time.

Last edited:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Decent for the 1st time out, but I won't blow smoke up your ass and tell you what I saw.

2nd gear burnout? Definitely needs more smoke. You should hold your burnout at least 4-5 seconds AFTER you begin to see smoke. Need more brake (will stop you from rolling forward) and more gas. Shifting needs work, I saw you hit the brakes on the 1-2 shift. Granny shifting will not get you the traps you want to see out of a KB 2.2 @ 20lbs. Tires spun out the hole, probably due to burnout. You should definitely be trapping 130+.

You should not have run a pro tree being your first time out. Forget the green light for now, gets the RPMs where you want them and dump the clutch and work on getting out the hole.

Oh and you look like you were all over the track in the video, try to stay in the groove next time.

Thanks for the tips.

The burnout was in 1st gear, should I be burning out in 2nd? Tires were right around 14-15psi as well. My second pass I made, I held it longer and got a great start but hit the damn rev limiter in 3rd so I backed out of it.

As far as the tree being how it was, it is like that for the Midnights every Saturday night. Test-N-Tune on Friday nights is yellow, yellow, yellow, green I believe.

Finally, yes I felt like I was all over the track too. I was getting alot of sway and felt the car all over the place. I wasn't used to running with the slicks on it.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Thanks for the tips.

The burnout was in 1st gear, should I be burning out in 2nd? Tires were right around 14-15psi as well. My second pass I made, I held it longer and got a great start but hit the damn rev limiter in 3rd so I backed out of it.

As far as the tree being how it was, it is like that for the Midnights every Saturday night. Test-N-Tune on Friday nights is yellow, yellow, yellow, green I believe.

Finally, yes I felt like I was all over the track too. I was getting alot of sway and felt the car all over the place. I wasn't used to running with the slicks on it.

Definitely do 2nd gear burnouts. The higher wheel speed will get more heat in the tires and prevent you from sliding while doing a burnout. Wet tires will have no problem turning over for a 2nd gear burnout. I'd drop the pressure in the tires to 12-13psi, maybe even 11. I saw you were running spare tires for front skinnys, so you will probably feel some sway, but as long as you don't try to correct the car you should stay straight.

And the tree that drops 3 yellows and then a green is called a sportsman tree. As I said before, while you are trying to learn how to launch the car, forget the damn green light, meaning it is okay to leave 1-3 seconds after it turns green. The clock doesn't start until you start moving. What RPM were you launching at?

Oh and if you are looking for better weight transfer, you should remove the front sway bar. It can be done by removing 6 nuts, 1 on each endlink connecting the sway bar to the control arm, and 2 on each side holding the sway bar to the frame.

Last edited:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Definitely do 2nd gear burnouts. The higher wheel speed will get more heat in the tires and prevent you from sliding while doing a burnout. Wet tires will have no problem turning over for a 2nd gear burnout. I'd drop the pressure in the tires to 12-13psi, maybe even 11. I saw you were running spare tires for front skinnys, so you will probably feel some sway, but as long as you don't try to correct the car you should stay straight.

And the tree that drops 3 yellows and then a green is called a sportsman tree. As I said before, while you are trying to learn how to launch the car, forget the damn green light, meaning it is okay to leave 1-3 seconds after it turns green. The clock doesn't start until you start moving. What RPM were you launching at?

Oh and if you are looking for better weight transfer, you should remove the front sway bar. It can be done by removing 6 nuts, 1 on each endlink connecting the sway bar to the control arm, and 2 on each side holding the sway bar to the frame.

Thanks man.

Next time, I'll do 2nd gear burnouts along with dropping the tire pressure even a little more.

I was launching at 3,000 RPMs.

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
First time it looked good. I would just be glad you didn't break anything. Each time I went to the track I seemed to find a new weak point in my car haha but I loved it anyways.

mustangtw

Established Member
Op, just curious if you are still running the temporary spare tires on those front wheels or did u swap them out for front runners?

19984V

Established Member
Saw you out there last night, looked pretty good however way too much wheelspin for those tires!!

Should have ran after the jet car, water box was probably like 200* lol.

Last edited:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
great run... is ur sra built with axles and a diff etc? if it is try launching at 4500

drop ur front sway bar

and 2nd gear burnout ftmfw

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
nice runs bro, your mph will get a lot higher with more practice. my first few trips to the 1/4 i was trapping around 123. then after i decided to get a little more serious and try harder they jumped to 129-130. you have a 10 second ride for sure just keep at it!

fyi +1 on the 2nd gear burnouts. seems like our setups are pretty close. ive tried dropping the clutch 3,000-5,000. my best pass so far was dropping at 5,500 but for now 4,600 seems to be working for me perfect and i can pull off 10.80-10.90s all day granny shifting!

Last edited:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys.

Op, just curious if you are still running the temporary spare tires on those front wheels or did u swap them out for front runners?

Just ran them for the track. I will eventually get a good set of front runners.

great run... is ur sra built with axles and a diff etc? if it is try launching at 4500

drop ur front sway bar

and 2nd gear burnout ftmfw

Yes, it is built. I will drop my front sway bar next time.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
was this on your race tune? with like 617hp? if so not bad for the first time. But i would take Smacked In AtL's advice to the T, and i feel you could eventually drop almost a second with your power, and built rear on slicks. it just takes practice!

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
was this on your race tune? with like 617hp? if so not bad for the first time. But i would take Smacked In AtL's advice to the T, and i feel you could eventually drop almost a second with your power, and built rear on slicks. it just takes practice!

Yes it was. Definitely will take his advice and practice alot more. Thanks.

crazy8smokey

Established Member
Looks good man. just more seat time and you'll be fine. But I did hear the guy say something like" its almost cage time" LOL

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
more burnout time, launch higher and you'll do incredible.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Looks good man. just more seat time and you'll be fine. But I did hear the guy say something like" its almost cage time" LOL

LOL yeah. 11.49 or faster and you have to have a cage here. Looks like next time, I'll be kicked out for not having a cage :thumbsup:

jemorgan

Established Member
nice job , last time I was out the best I did was 11.85 at 122mph with a 2.2 60ft on MT et streets and the IRS , we have almost the exact same setup , my motor is .020 over and KB with 22lbs with methanol , I am in Tulsa also , I just got mine retuned last week and I am ready to go back to TNT and try again .......last time my car was pig rich , now its tuned with the meth , Im hoping for high 10's , you are there with that solid....

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
nice job , last time I was out the best I did was 11.85 at 122mph with a 2.2 60ft on MT et streets and the IRS , we have almost the exact same setup , my motor is .020 over and KB with 22lbs with methanol , I am in Tulsa also , I just got mine retuned last week and I am ready to go back to TNT and try again .......last time my car was pig rich , now its tuned with the meth , Im hoping for high 10's , you are there with that solid....

Retuned by who? :smmon:

Chris,

Get back out the track dude and get that seat time. When you are hot rodding around town really concentrate on how fast you are shifting and working on speed shifts. I assume the Cobra is your DD so I wouldn't recommend power shifting. You will get it down. Just get back to the track and represent that KB to its full potential!!

jemorgan

Established Member
Retuned by who? :smmon:

Chris,

Get back out the track dude and get that seat time. When you are hot rodding around town really concentrate on how fast you are shifting and working on speed shifts. I assume the Cobra is your DD so I wouldn't recommend power shifting. You will get it down. Just get back to the track and represent that KB to its full potential!!
S@G peformance here in Tulsa

Users who are viewing this thread