Made my own in-car GoPro mount today for my Shelby

Poppacapp

Established Member
So I have been looking around online for a decent in-car gopro mount, and although nice, $150.00 just is too much IMO. So today, I took a trip to Home Depot and gathered up some stuff to make my own. I still have to paint everything black to match the interior, but other than that, I have less than $25.00 in the whole thing. Anyone who has two post headrests that can be removed from the seat can make a mount like this.. car does not matter.

The following items are what will be needed for this:

I got the GoPro tripod adaptor, which was $7.99,

Aluminum square tube - 36" x 3/4" x 1/16" - $11.47
Note- depending on the size of your headrest posts, you may need a larger square tube

4 pack of 1/4" wingnuts(they didn't have singles) - $1.18
1 - 1/4"x20 2 1/2" long Hex Bolt - $0.20
2 - 1/4" Hex nuts - $0.12
3 - 1/4" washers - $0.33
2 - 1/4" lockwashers - $0.30

Total parts - $21.59...+tax blah blah blah

Some pics:

First I took my headrest out, and marked the square tube, took a screw and hammer and made a center indent for the drill bit. then used smaller bit first for pilot hole, then the larger bit.

IMG_20130527_155451_860_zps0ac4de18.jpg

Then I test fitted the headrest

IMG_20130527_155517_289_zpse14c119e.jpg

Then test fitted the bar in the car to mark center point for camera mount area:

IMG_20130527_155913_576_zps1d7e52a3.jpg

After cutting the tube to the length I wanted, I drilled the hole for the mounting bolt:

IMG_20130527_160945_496_zps79573be4.jpg

Set the bolt up on the tube... i used a wingnut and flat washer to be able to set the camera rotation where I want it and tighten up to lock it in. The gopro tripod mount lets me tilt the gopro how I need. I used a grinder to clean up all the burrs from cutting/drilling. I will be painting it all black to match interior.

IMG_20130527_163901_270_zpscc645e7c.jpg

Here are a couple videos I made with it today.. the first video I didn't have the thumbscrew tight enough and the camera tilted slightly

These vids are in 1080p high def, so be sure to watch them in 1080..

[youtube_browser]rYfgR601ocs[/youtube_browser]

The next video... yeah I should have probably waited until the cars passed.. I spank my own wrist for that:

[youtube_browser]JV-g-wtPqP0[/youtube_browser]

hyvltge

PSI
Established Member
Very nice. Now, can you help someone tech challenged as myself with getting the GoPro to show the view on my iPhone like in your vid there.....?

Poppacapp

Established Member
Very nice. Now, can you help someone tech challenged as myself with getting the GoPro to show the view on my iPhone like in your vid there.....?

First off, do you have a newer gopro? if so, you just need an update.. if not, I think you have to buy a wifi backpack for it. If you have a newer one:

There's an app for that :) What I had to do was go to the gopro site, and follow the instructions on updating my phone.. I had to put in my phone model/serial # info and tell it what my wifi name and password would be(to connect your phone to the camera).. then you have to download the updated firmware file it creates for you and update the phone. The site has step by step instructions on doing this.. follow them closely.. and make sure wifi is OFF on your phone for the update.

Once you have the update done, download the gopro app from the app store.

Then you will turn on the wifi on your camera, and connect your phone to the camera network(the name you setup on gopro site). Once connected, all you have to do it run the app, and connect to your phone. You can access all the phone menus from the app... like changing point of view, video res, fps, etc.. It's pretty neat actually.

The old cameras, you had to mount them, turn them on and start recording... then they didnt stop until you manually stopped them. The app is nice. Mine can with a wifi remote too, but I dont use it right now.... you can also control up to 50 gopro cameras at once.. I plan on getting more in the future to have multiple views at once.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, just ask.

Users who are viewing this thread