Make your own Oil Seperator for $21

Status
Not open for further replies.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
okay, just installed mine today. The hose collapses when under full vacuum....I'm assuming this is okay, right? It doesn't collapse all the way, but close to it.

Is this an issue?

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
This is a great mod,but there is something in the parts list that needs to be addressed, the fuel line will create a problem over time. The oil will attack the rubber in the fuel line and it will deteriorate to the point that small pieces will end up sucking thru the line. I highly recomend usind trans cooler hose, It is firmer line and will not be affected by the oil.

SN_95

this hobby cost too much
Established Member
bump for this thread. yeah i can understand the hose collapsing. and it should be fine for now. but should be addressed in the near future. but post up pics for the sole fact that we can see how good a job you did.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
It's really important to have a hose that doesn't collapse in on it's self. Most vacuum and emission hoses will collapse as soon as you start the car. Try to get a reinforced fuel line that is compatible with oil. If the hose is closed, your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation system) will not work properly. You'll notice an increase in engine noise when the hose is collapsed...doesn't sound too cool in my book.

What I did was use silicon hose with copper tubing installed through out the length of the hose. It works for me.

I installed this mod over a year/10,000 miles ago and hardly any oil makes it back into the intake/sc. When I first got the car, it had so much oil in the intake, the intake tube from the MAF to the TB was coatedl!!!

I've used this mod on a turbo, N/A and S/C application with no problems.

Just empty the catch on a regular basis and keep the seperator away from extreme heat. Because the catch is made of plastic, it's easy to melt...the last thing you want is oil spraying out onto hot engine parts like exhaust.

That could ruin your day for sure. :fm:

LOL

Later...Dave

Last edited:

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
This is a great mod,but there is something in the parts list that needs to be addressed, the fuel line will create a problem over time. The oil will attack the rubber in the fuel line and it will deteriorate to the point that small pieces will end up sucking thru the line. I highly recomend usind trans cooler hose, It is firmer line and will not be affected by the oil.

I used the trans cooler line about a year ago for the same reasons stated above, no issues.

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
I just literally went to 6 different stores, autostores and home improvent stores both and nothing.....where else can I the water seperator?

I had the same problem, no one had the smaller seperators so I ordered mine from some on-line store, cost more than the OP posted but beats driving around getting pissed off.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Just about any auto parts store should have that, just call ahead.

Pontisteve

Engine Scientist Wannabe
Established Member
I put a Campbell Hausfield oil separator (the small one, not the huge one) on my car, and cut out the white filter. The separator didn't seem to catch more than a little bit in the bottom. The rest seemed to pass the separator and head right into my intake.

Next, I bought the JLT Prefilter. Installing it didn't seem to make any difference. Nice looking part though.

In my judgement, the separator just isn't big enough to work right, and the only solution is to eliminate the PCV system and run a real catch can.

Oh, and once I recently pulled my upper intake off, I found the reason why my fuel pressure was hard to set, and my a/f ratio went from 12:1 to 10.5:1... the oil that passed these 2 filters went into the intake anyway, made the usual mess, and also made it's way up to the fuel pressure regulator, apparently damaging the diaphram. Oil was dripping out of my adjustable fuel pressure regulator (stock rail type BBK regulator). This whacked out my fuel pressure at random, made the car impossible to tune, made fuel pressure hard to set, and explains a lot. I'm done screwing with this oil situation.

javierrflores

svt
Established Member
100_0651.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0649.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0646.jpg
[/IMG]

04cobra13

Established Member
I just did mine today, i used the husky one, got it rfom home depot along with the fittings and hose from kragen, ill let you all knoe how it works!

Jefe

Established Member
Javier any more info on your setup? I like!

javierrflores

svt
Established Member
Thanks Guys

I got it from E-Bay for 20 bucks or so shipped and purchased my own hoses from Autozone
OCTTN.jpg
[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread