Make your own Oil Seperator for $21

Status
Not open for further replies.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
same size fittings as OP?

yes!

i bought 3' of 3/8" fuel line (i only used about 2-1/4' of it total)

also the hose repair kit and a packet of 2 additional 3/8" hose ends just like the OP stated

works pretty good too ... in the pic you can see the loofah i threw in there to help catch it

edit: i took out that light brown colored filter

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
yes!

i bought 3' of 3/8" fuel line (i only used about 2-1/4' of it total)

also the hose repair kit and a packet of 2 additional 3/8" hose ends just like the OP stated

works pretty good too ... in the pic you can see the loofah i threw in there to help catch it

edit: i took out that light brown colored filter
\
awesome, thanks :beer:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
just finished mine...

IMG_0550.jpg

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
i have mine the way its designed. in the in and out the out

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
i have mine the way its designed. in the in and out the out

Does your separator move around a bit, or is it pretty snug? I like the rubber clip type thing thats attached to your hose holding it in place. I will be heading to home depot tomorrow.

I also have Motorcraft 3/8 fuel line hose, will that work?

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
It can move a little but it's pretty secure. I did a complete how to write up on mustang forums

csilvers1984

Established Member
anyone ever checked intake valves before and after this mod? 06 and newer vw 2.0t engines have a bad rep for intake valve build up bc of pcv issues,just thinking maybe it would have same affect on engines.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
You are pressurizing your crankcase under boost. You need to be going to the blower inlet with your hose.

I don't think anyone has taken heed of your very intelligent advice.

No one listens huh? :shrug:

Guys, he's trying to tell ya that with the way you are running the lines, you are sending boost into your crankcase. You do not want this.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member

Guys, he's trying to tell ya that with the way you are running the lines, you are sending boost into your crankcase. You do not want this.

The way we are running our lines? how should they be ran? :shrug:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

From what I gathered, the way the lines are set up now, its sucking from the crankcase to the blower, no different than stock, except theres a separator there. Nothing else is different, otherwise its exactly like oem.:shrug:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
From what I gathered, the way the lines are set up now, its sucking from the crankcase to the blower, no different than stock, except theres a separator there. Nothing else is different, otherwise its exactly like oem.:shrug:

With the oil separator system outlined in this thread, the factory PCV system remains relatively unchanged. Fresh air through the passenger side valve cover from the intake tube, PCV valve regulated and vented crankcase through the driver side valve cover, factory separator tube to the lower manifold. The pressure drop from the volume change in the added separator (aka air line water separator in its native function) allows vented oil vapors to condense and collect in the reservoir, that's it.

hardcore35th is referring to handsomerob's thread I believe.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
With the oil separator system outlined in this thread, the factory PCV system remains relatively unchanged. Fresh air through the passenger side valve cover from the intake tube, PCV valve regulated and vented crankcase through the driver side valve cover, factory separator tube to the lower manifold. The pressure drop from the volume change in the added separator (aka air line water separator in its native function) allows vented oil vapors to condense and collect in the reservoir, that's it.

hardcore35th is referring to handsomerob's thread I believe.

k, yeah I figured not much was altered just the added separator to gather some of the oil trying to make its way to the intake. Everything else is stil routed basically the same.

tonydahose

Established Member
hey guys, i just bought a 03 cobra vert with 15K miles on it. one thing i noticed on the ride home that i didnt before is the smell of oil in the car with the heat is on. i missed the pcv delete when i looked over the engine:mad:. it has a little filter instead of the pcv.
100_3131.jpg

i want to make an oil seperator with the pcv back in. i just cant figure out where the heck i am supposed to hook it up. does anyone have a pic of where the the hose goes to. i spent a while reading this thread. i should get some quality hose along with some 3/8" copper tubing inside of it so it wont crush under the vacuum, correct? do i just yank that air filter off of the engine? and then get a pcv valve and hose and get to work right? i really need to get this done quickly because one of my kids has asthma and he loves rides in the cobra. for now i just keep the A/C on max and it recirculates the air and keeps the smell/fumes out. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
what happened to most of the pics here ?

i just took my motor apart,while there i took the blower off the intake .it had alot of oil down there where the fitting is. does this fix this problem ? my EGR is deleted so i dont have any soot .BTW i only had about 2000 miles on my KB. when i took off and seen all this oil , i was like whoa!

TorchRedSVT

Established Member
My Oil Separator

Just thought I would throw up a pic of my setup. It is a Kobalt oil separator from Lowes. The Kobalt has 4 tapped screw bosses in the top so I was able to fabricate a mounting bracket out of 1/8" steel. It was originally an ugly blue so I painted it, and then removed the filter. This setup catches just as much or probably even more oil then my buddies Steeda setup (and in my opinion looks better too). I probably spent a grand total of ~$25.

28552_793291151129_11821449_43324101_4365007_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread