Making the swap from GT500 to 5.0L with 67mm turbo...!

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
Right now I own a 2010 GT500 and have some mods but I'm not happy with the shifting problem and extra weight that the iron 5.4L has over the 5.0L... I want a efficient car and am leaning towards the 5.0L... What I need from you guys is what problems will I expect once over 650rwhp? I will have the hellion single 67mm precision turbo, 52lbs injectors, Kenne Bell BAP, SCT tuner, headers, h-pipe and catback... Also I was thing a twin disc clutch would go nice too... So let me know what you think and any advice... Blow By Racing has this setup on one of their customer's cars and at 15psi they made 653rwhp and 730lbs-tq... I know 15psi might be a bit much but I plan for forged internals in the future... I wanna run 10's and down the road 9's...

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Right now I own a 2010 GT500 and have some mods but I'm not happy with the shifting problem and extra weight that the iron 5.4L has over the 5.0L... I want a efficient car and am leaning towards the 5.0L... What I need from you guys is what problems will I expect once over 650rwhp? I will have the hellion single 67mm precision turbo, 52lbs injectors, Kenne Bell BAP, SCT tuner, headers, h-pipe and catback... Also I was thing a twin disc clutch would go nice too... So let me know what you think and any advice... Blow By Racing has this setup on one of their customer's cars and at 15psi they made 653rwhp and 730lbs-tq... I know 15psi might be a bit much but I plan for forged internals in the future... I wanna run 10's and down the road 9's...

If you go with that turbo kit you want need headers or a H pipe.... they would be useless.

cababah

Established Member
so you want to move from a car that already has FI to a car that will need FI added?

that seems like a step backwards to me but to each his own. the platform you have right now will handle 650whp better.

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
My rods and pistons aren't forged... The 5.4L is good until 750rwhp then rods start letting go... The reason for me wanting a 5.0 is cause I want a street/strip car... The 5.0L is lighter and more efficient ... Have you ever driven a GT500? If you have you would know about the shifting problem... Plus I don't wanna put a cage in the car but with the 5.0L I won't care... The only car with real FI is the Boss 302... I just need to know what are the common problems with the 5.0... I heard the clutch is no good pass 550rwhp and the oil pump needs to be upgrade but I'll do both right away... A good twin disc will help and upgraded oil pump... Anything else I should worry about?

cmsnake

Established Member
If you are worried about the shifting issue in your GT500, then you probably wont be happy with the mt82 6 speed in the 5.0L. Several issues so far with no real fix yet it seems. The automatic would definately handle the power better and be better suited for a street/strip drag car than the manual. Before the 2011 cars you wouldnt catch me dead in an auto stang, but times have changed, I made the switch and havnt looked back. There also seem to be several autos in the 550-600whp (blowers, turbos on 6-10psi) range running high 10's all day on stock suspension and drag radials, not sure you need to make 650 if you want a 10 sec true street car with the 5.0.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
ummm there is no issues with our oil pumps..... where are you getting this info at anyways? i know the GT500s will make more than 750 w/o issues. look at the supersnakes with upgraded goodies making 750 w/o issues and even some that make more than that with no issues. boss being the only one FI?? i think you need to read around some more b/c i think you are mislead really bad between these 2 cars.

cmsnake

Established Member
Thanx for the input... I was thinking about a auto with the turbo but it kinda takes the fun outta everyday driving...

Yea I hear ya. I was kinda worried about that too, but I have no regrets. The auto has a real steep first gear which makes it a lot of fun around town, plus traffic jams dont piss me off anymore lol. But if your looking for a street/strip car and dont plan to road course it then the auto is probably the better choice for durability, consistancy, and daily driving. You will definately get better gas mileage in the 5.0 than the shelby, and im sure insurance will be cheaper too lol.

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
Boostaholic- I get all my info from shops, magazines, forums such as this one and my own experiences... Quiet a few shops have ran into oil pump problems after 550rwhp and when i talk about power im talking about rear wheel horsepower... Ive seen 3 GT500's pop from pushing past 750rwhp... I don't put stuff on forums without researching first... No the GT500 doesnt have forged internals maybe you need to read more bro... The crank is forged but not the rods or pistons... If anyone has input great but dont tell me what i dont know about my car... CMSNAKE- I pay $230 a month for full coverage so if it got cheaper than that well that would be amazing...

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Also, insurance should be a LOT cheaper. I am 22 paying $107 per month for full coverage with $250 deductibles.

kevinp

Established Member
I went from a 2010 GT500 to a 2011 5.0 with a TVS and I have zero regrets, except taking a beating money-wise on the Shelby.

I just wasnt into whole Shelby thing, plus mine had shifting issues since it was new. It was an awesome garage heater though, I have never seen a car emit so many BTUs when parked lol. I wasnt really impressed with anything about it and when it got to the point I would rather drive my pickup truck than the GT500 it was time to get rid of it.

I went the completely opposite route and bought a base auto GT (after trying an E92 M3 in between), bolted a TVS on it and I have been more than happy with it. It reminds me of what a muscle car should be, unassuming looking and can run 10s. I was originally going to go manual trans but I'm glad I didnt, if the car had a giant rubber band connecting the engine to the rear an 200 extra hp makes it fun to drive IMO.

cmsnake

Established Member
I went from a 2010 GT500 to a 2011 5.0 with a TVS and I have zero regrets, except taking a beating money-wise on the Shelby.

I just wasnt into whole Shelby thing, plus mine had shifting issues since it was new. It was an awesome garage heater though, I have never seen a car emit so many BTUs when parked lol. I wasnt really impressed with anything about it and when it got to the point I would rather drive my pickup truck than the GT500 it was time to get rid of it.

I went the completely opposite route and bought a base auto GT (after trying an E92 M3 in between), bolted a TVS on it and I have been more than happy with it. It reminds me of what a muscle car should be, unassuming looking and can run 10s. I was originally going to go manual trans but I'm glad I didnt, if the car had a giant rubber band connecting the engine to the rear an 200 extra hp makes it fun to drive IMO.
I considered an e92 m3 as well before I picked up my 2011. Afterall I was ready to trade my 545i/6 for something more sporty and really love bmw's. But in the end the stang won me over. For what I got new I woudlve had to by an 08 m3 with some miles on it to keep the price the same and there is no such thing as modding an M car on a budget. How did you like your M? What made you make the switch to the stang? Just curious...

kevinp

Established Member
I considered an e92 m3 as well before I picked up my 2011. Afterall I was ready to trade my 545i/6 for something more sporty and really love bmw's. But in the end the stang won me over. For what I got new I woudlve had to by an 08 m3 with some miles on it to keep the price the same and there is no such thing as modding an M car on a budget. How did you like your M? What made you make the switch to the stang? Just curious...

I had the 2010 GT500 before the M3 and I liked the car itself. The M3 was a great car, was a new 2011, but the lack of torque at lower RPM was sort of like an S2000, unless you revved it to the moon even in normal traffic it was just a slug. At 8000rpm its fun for sure but at those RPM stealth its not. Plus the clunky drivetrain and trans just didnt make me feel like I was driving a 70K car, I should have got the DCT but wanted a manual to be a purist. The BMW is a beautifully engineered car, but not for my big American V8 loving self. Even the underside is a work of art. Not something you want to own when the warranty runs out though. I bought the car right lost little on the deal so I have no regrets on trying it, just wasnt for me.

The 2011 GT is just a fun car and has surprising build quality, they really stiffened up the 2011 body and except for road/tire noise its a really sold car. I've kept it for 7 months now and thats almost a record for a daily driver for me lol.

Sorry for the hijack.

cmsnake

Established Member
I had the 2010 GT500 before the M3 and I liked the car itself. The M3 was a great car, was a new 2011, but the lack of torque at lower RPM was sort of like an S2000, unless you revved it to the moon even in normal traffic it was just a slug. At 8000rpm its fun for sure but at those RPM stealth its not. Plus the clunky drivetrain and trans just didnt make me feel like I was driving a 70K car, I should have got the DCT but wanted a manual to be a purist. The BMW is a beautifully engineered car, but not for my big American V8 loving self. Even the underside is a work of art. Not something you want to own when the warranty runs out though. I bought the car right lost little on the deal so I have no regrets on trying it, just wasnt for me.

The 2011 GT is just a fun car and has surprising build quality, they really stiffened up the 2011 body and except for road/tire noise its a really sold car. I've kept it for 7 months now and thats almost a record for a daily driver for me lol.

Sorry for the hijack.

Yes there is no low end on those cars. I test drove one not long ago. Same as the e60 M5. Dogs down low, but absolute beasts up top. Im also impressed with the mustangs build quality, honestly this made the jump easier from a bmw. Its still has its flaws, but has come a long, long way. Anyways glad to see someone else chose the new mustang instead of its german competitor. I thought I might have been one of the few lol. Ok sorry for the hi-jack as well!

DonEverett

Established Member
The only car with real FI is the Boss 302...

I thought in the recent 5.0 magazine (article "inside the boss") they said the boss engine wasn't truely forged, and wasn't much different from the 5.0? Either way I would think you would need to upgrade the internals for serious power...

Users who are viewing this thread