max rpm ?

tommy s

Established Member
Hi there, just wondering how high you guys rev you gt500 when at the drag stripe? (like at the finishe line in 4th )I've seen some rev them as high as 6600rpm!! I've got a whiple 2.9 3;73 gears and was wondering if it's safe??

DMotorsports

Established Member
Obviously lower is safer. I'd say most would agree that anything above 6500 is rolling the dice on a factory engine. Some say anything above 6200 isn't safe. It also depends on how much boost and power you're making, the quality of your tune, whether or not your engine builder had a hangover the day he put yours together...... There's not a clear cut answer. The bottom line is every time you push it a little further you run the risk of suffering the consequences.

Personally, I try to shift between 6300-6500, but I'm running a stock blower and i realize that if it does let go, it's my own fault.

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
I'd say 6500 is very safe and 6700 is pushing it. 6900 and your on borrowed time wiyh a stock motor......ask me how I know! I'm not conservative though but the motors are very, very strong from the factory that's for sure. So strong that I bought my second from Ford Racing! 9's FTW!

tommy s

Established Member
I'd say 6500 is very safe and 6700 is pushing it. 6900 and your on borrowed time wiyh a stock motor......ask me how I know! I'm not conservative though but the motors are very, very strong from the factory that's for sure. So strong that I bought my second from Ford Racing! 9's FTW!

Man I just finished reading about you're car in mm&ff ,Soooo coooool !! just ordered same size M&H tires you got 4 mine :)) Great looking Shelby !

tommy s

Established Member
Obviously lower is safer. I'd say most would agree that anything above 6500 is rolling the dice on a factory engine. Some say anything above 6200 isn't safe. It also depends on how much boost and power you're making, the quality of your tune, whether or not your engine builder had a hangover the day he put yours together...... There's not a clear cut answer. The bottom line is every time you push it a little further you run the risk of suffering the consequences.

Personally, I try to shift between 6300-6500, but I'm running a stock blower and i realize that if it does let go, it's my own fault.

LOL , I just hope they wheren't hungover when they build mine ! Or at least one of them wheren't ...

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member

+1
6500 here with a very safe tune

Users who are viewing this thread