May have found my next car.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
The main reason I wouldn't get this car is because the seller keeps saying he doesn't know why the car has a rebuilt title. That means he knows but won't tell you. You can't buy a salvage car and not knowing what happened to it and then put a $6k supercharger on it. Something seems fishy.

KYSVT

Banned
Get a carfax or auto check before you go, that way you can really examine the impacted area. I would def go check it out. Good luck.

BladeX10

Established Member
ABORT MISSION! Do you know how easy it is to find out what happened to the car? CARFAX! For this guy to not know how his car got a salvaged title, throws a HUGE red flag.

2. WAY overpriced. I see clean titled 80-100k mile GTs for 4-5k less. A supercharger doesnt mean anything, Hell by what he knows about the salvaged title, i'm willing to bet he doesnt know much about the tune it has to run that supercharger.

3. I owned a salvaged title mustang and it never drove properly. I had a 1994 GT that drove and handled better than the 2001 i had that was salvaged.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Just found out the car is also cat-less which I would need to pass emissions...

Most states require it to pass their inspections, but unless you have to put a sniffer in the exhaust, you can ususally get around that if you find the right place.

Its part of the "visual" inspection.

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
Don't let the title scare you. I've owned numerous cars with rebuilt titles, from wrecked to flooded. If the repair is done right, it's no biggie if you plan on keeping it. If you plan to resale, then the title Scares a lot of people, making it harder to get rid of. Go check it out, if everything on it checks out, drives great, runs great and you want it. go for it and drive the wheels off it:rockon:

Bates TTwins

Established Member
My last car didnt have cats it was a v6 mustang only problem was i didn't have money to get the mil eliminators so it would not throw codes also I didn't know the right place for inspection. Sold the car went to college and now looking for the next one.

One last bit of information I asked if the vehicle threw codes "Only if you dont let it fully warm up before you get on it, it'll throw a code at top of a shift, the code either goes away or you can clear it with the turner, this only happened a couple of times, nothing major, something like misfire detected."

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Hell no! He's asking way too much for that thing. 2v GT's around here go for 5-9K depending on year and options with a clean title. Just because it's supercharged doesn't justify that much extra of an asking price with a salvage title.

I'd pay 5K for that thing if I planned on keeping it.

Bates TTwins

Established Member
Hell no! He's asking way too much for that thing. 2v GT's around here go for 5-9K depending on year and options with a clean title. Just because it's supercharged doesn't justify that much extra of an asking price with a salvage title.

I'd pay 5K for that thing if I planned on keeping it.

I hear yeah the r-title ruined it but i did stumble across the same color car lower miles doesnt have the SC or after market rims but there asking $7799 but you can always haggle on the price. :rolleyes:
2003 Mustang GT

Bates TTwins

Established Member
Update

I went and looked at the car today crawled under the car and looked everywhere for rust, which there was none of. Car had good paint except for a few tiny chips.
The car idled good no ticking or other abstract noises. Took the car out and once you got up to 4th going into 5th it had this weird sound that came from the dash somewhere.

I asked if he ever ran a carfax to see why it had an r-title and he said "I think I did but it did not say why" Wouldn't it be on there as why it was totaled?

Think Im passing this on up and going back to Craigslist and the classified section. :shrug:

10splaya22

Established Member
Update

I went and looked at the car today crawled under the car and looked everywhere for rust, which there was none of. Car had good paint except for a few tiny chips.
The car idled good no ticking or other abstract noises. Took the car out and once you got up to 4th going into 5th it had this weird sound that came from the dash somewhere.

I asked if he ever ran a carfax to see why it had an r-title and he said "I think I did but it did not say why" Wouldn't it be on there as why it was totaled?

Think Im passing this on up and going back to Craigslist and the classified section. :shrug:

Good idea. I don't think Carfax usually says why something has a rebuilt title unless it was in an accident. It depends on how it was reported. But good idea looking at another car. That one was not good.

strongs_2009

Established Member
good choice getting involved in something like that. That you have no idea what was wrong with it that the owner cant even tell you or gives you some shady excuse I feel cant turn out good for you in the end.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The main reason I wouldn't get this car is because the seller keeps saying he doesn't know why the car has a rebuilt title. That means he knows but won't tell you. You can't buy a salvage car and not knowing what happened to it and then put a $6k supercharger on it. Something seems fishy.

^^This

I love these threads.

Stay away, headache, etc.....

All from most who have never touched a salvage.

I've had/built more than I care to count.

Water= no problem as long as it is fresh and not salt and depends on how high.
knowing how to find a water line is a big advantage.

Wreck= body shop welds are better than the tack welds from the factory.

Knowing what you start with is the biggest part. Clearly he has no clue.
And the price is high.
So stay away form this one for these reasons.

Stang Lover

Established Member
There's fully built s/c GT's in the market section for 1-2K more heck even s/c 96-98 cobras for that asking price. Good choice on passing that up. Can't let looks fool you I learned that not once but twice!

Users who are viewing this thread