McLeod RXT and New Flywheel problems on 2013 GT

Wills5.0Reaper

Established Member
So me and a few other friends of mine installed the RXT clutch and flywheel from McLeod and after driving it for a day or so my Check engine light came on and then went away and a few minutes later it was back and my engine bogged down until the check light stopped flashing and then i would get the power back, now it says #2 and 8 cylinder misfire and i heard about doing a Crank relearn and i called ford and they said if the car is tuned then they cant do anything for me, but i dont think thats the case, so do i need a new slave cylinder or what i really dont want to take it apart again and try and guess what the issue is and then take it apart again cause it wasnt fixed i guess what im saying i hate doing re-work and its already looking that way.

ATTFighter

Established Member
Yea I guess you need the crank relearn... Some people have this problem some don't. I have an exedy mach 600 and flywheel in my car for over a year now and never had any check engine lights seems like a hit or miss..

D.T.R

Established Member
Yep, you need a crank relearn. Which dealership you went to? i would try different one.

86merc

Established Member
My car had a new clutch put in a few weeks ago. The dealership was able to do the crank relearn with my AED installed. It took about a half hour for them to do it.

I bet they could even do it under a TSB for random misfire. It that included adding an 0-ring to the sensor and doing the relearn. Might not cost you anything.

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
Are these crank relearn issues only present with the 5.0s? I am fixing to install an RST with stock flywheel in my built 3v.

86merc

Established Member
How come some cars have this problem and others never do

Issue or not, if I replace a clutch I would recommend a relearn anyways. Just to confirm everything is synced up and in good working order.

Mine showed a missfire once. Then nothing for the rest of the weekend. Monday it went to the dealer just for a piece of mind.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
My car had a new clutch put in a few weeks ago. The dealership was able to do the crank relearn with my AED installed. It took about a half hour for them to do it.

I bet they could even do it under a TSB for random misfire. It that included adding an 0-ring to the sensor and doing the relearn. Might not cost you anything.

That's exactly what I did after my T56 swap and mcleod install. I brought the car to them with the CEL on and said it was showing a misfire but the car drove fine. I showed them the TSB and I had my car back within 2 hours(on a Saturday morning no less) with the TSB performed and my car running good as new.

86merc

Established Member
^ worth a little effort. With the time and money we have in these cars & parts already, what is a couple hours (if that) at a dealership to confirm all is good?

ATTFighter

Established Member
Well I had mine in for a year now with no check engine lights and car runs fine and I know others who also changed clutch and flywheel with no issues and no crank relearn..... What kind of issues could be going on or happen after a year with it alrdy working fine? Is it still worth doing?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
for the love of god please dont call a dealer and say "i need a crank relearn" they will act like you are smoking crack and have no idea what you are talking about. make sure you tell them you need a neutral profile relearn. i called 3 different dealers and they were clueless so you might wanna find the TSB for the p0300 code and take that in there too so they will know what you are talking about. i think its tsb 13-6.

86merc

Established Member
My dealer knew exactly what I meant. :shrug:

But if the "neutral profile relearn" is the correct name, then yes, it would be a good idea to say that instead. Having a TSB number is always a good idea too.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member

But if the "neutral profile relearn" is the correct name, then yes, it would be a good idea to say that instead. Having a TSB number is always a good idea too.

Exactly. The crank position relearn is also called for in the ford repair manual so if the dealer is replacing a clutch, they should be performing the same procedure. If they're not sure what 'crank position relearn' you're asking for, have them open the repair manual for a clutch replacement and it'll be in the book.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member

Guess the dealers around me haven't done it before.

BUCKET

Established Member
I didn't t56 swap and no issues. I took great care in not removing the reluctor ring or messing with the sensor. I wonder if this is what causes the relearn issue

Users who are viewing this thread