Mechman alternators for 03-04 Cobras

Got a great email response from Mechman regarding their alternators. I know recently that a handful of guys have had a problem with the Ebay 160amp ones. Wanted to pass this along to you guys.

I hoard a lot of parts now because quite frankly these oem parts for our cars are getting quite ridiculous. But a replacement alternator seems to be a growing concern for some of us. Still deciding which Mechman alternator I'm going to buy and I'll add pics of the unit to this thread when I purchase mine and it shows up. Right now, my oem replacement alternator that I purchased back in '07 continues to run strong with nearly 50k on it.

Ok enough of that. Hopefully this is helpful to someone in the future. Here's what Mechman emailed me today after I asked about alternator options for our cars:

"We offer a 200 amp G series unit in the OEM housing for $299. Idle output will vary depending on what the pulley ratio is, and what exact speed the vehicle idles at, as these cars are frequently heavily modified with larger crank pulleys, custom engine tunes, etc…. This unit comes with a 2 year warranty.

We also offer a 6 phase Billet-Tech race unit for that vehicle. It features 6 phase hairpin stator technology, and a much higher RPM threshold than the stock housing can provide. These units are available in 170, 240, and 320 amp configurations, and have incredible output at idle. This is especially useful if you use your vehicle for high RPM use, or have an out of the norm pulley ratio. These units range $599 - $699 depending on options. I have attached a picture for your reference. Billet-Tech units come with a 10 year warranty. You can read the specifics on this unit on our S series page here"

S Series

Matthew Young
(865)522-6166 ext 204
[email protected]

Here's the image of the Billet-tech race alternator they provided.

B812711320M_zps40355602.png

Tractionless1

Established Member
So they are trying to sell you a $600+ alternator in a billet housing rather than a larger pulley to slow the other one down? Now that's customer service!! The alt. RPM has nothing to do with the housing. Wanna up your idle output get a smaller alt. pulley or bigger crank.

Last edited:

ITL Cobra

Established Member
they offer this after i replaced my alt at the beginning of this season with a 300 amp alternator they offer...

I have to say great company to deal with... Very professional and they make sure you are getting exactly what you need.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Looks nice, if my ebay one fails then I'll grab one of these G series

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
I'm in need of an alternator now so this looks like a great option. Still waiting to hear from Start N' Charge so I'll keep doing a little reading.

gabe1530

Banned
Very interesting. I have one of the eBay alternators but it has been working great thus far. I'll keep this sub'd just in case.

ttk53

Established Member
Got a great email response from Mechman regarding their alternators. I know recently that a handful of guys have had a problem with the Ebay 160amp ones. Wanted to pass this along to you guys.

I hoard a lot of parts now because quite frankly these oem parts for our cars are getting quite ridiculous. But a replacement alternator seems to be a growing concern for some of us. Still deciding which Mechman alternator I'm going to buy and I'll add pics of the unit to this thread when I purchase mine and it shows up. Right now, my oem replacement alternator that I purchased back in '07 continues to run strong with nearly 50k on it.

Ok enough of that. Hopefully this is helpful to someone in the future. Here's what Mechman emailed me today after I asked about alternator options for our cars:

"We offer a 200 amp G series unit in the OEM housing for $299. Idle output will vary depending on what the pulley ratio is, and what exact speed the vehicle idles at, as these cars are frequently heavily modified with larger crank pulleys, custom engine tunes, etc…. This unit comes with a 2 year warranty.

We also offer a 6 phase Billet-Tech race unit for that vehicle. It features 6 phase hairpin stator technology, and a much higher RPM threshold than the stock housing can provide. These units are available in 170, 240, and 320 amp configurations, and have incredible output at idle. This is especially useful if you use your vehicle for high RPM use, or have an out of the norm pulley ratio. These units range $599 - $699 depending on options. I have attached a picture for your reference. Billet-Tech units come with a 10 year warranty. You can read the specifics on this unit on our S series page here"

S Series

Matthew Young
(865)522-6166 ext 204
[email protected]

Here's the image of the Billet-tech race alternator they provided.

B812711320M_zps40355602.png

So they are trying to sell you a $600+ alternator in a billet housing rather than a larger pulley to slow the other one down? Now that's customer service!! The alt. RPM has nothing to do with the housing. Wanna up your idle output get a smaller alt. pulley or bigger crank.

There is nothing stock about the $600 dollar alt. I have been working with them and I'm sending them my 3.5 inch pulley so they cant see if they can make it work on the billet alt. $600 is well worth the price if it the last time I have to change my alt.

Here is the email he sent me.

Tony-

That is a common problem with the Terminator cars, especially with oversized aftermarket crank pulleys. We have a specially designed billet housing 6 phase racing unit that is totally stable to 20,000 RPM shaft speed. Also, because it features 6 phase hairpin stator technology, it also almost makes full output at engine idle speeds, so you do not very much output at idle, even when the alternator is under driven with a large alternator pulley. The 170 amp unit is $549, and is built with twin internal rectifiers with 12 diodes for outstanding durability. We give the Billet-Tech racing units a 10 year performance guaranty, and will repair any defects during that time

Tractionless1

Established Member
There is nothing stock about the $600 dollar alt. I have been working with them and I'm sending them my 3.5 inch pulley so they cant see if they can make it work on the billet alt. $600 is well worth the price if it the last time I have to change my alt.

Tony-

That is a common problem with the Terminator cars, especially with oversized aftermarket crank pulleys. We have a specially designed billet housing 6 phase racing unit that is totally stable to 20,000 RPM shaft speed. Also, because it features 6 phase hairpin stator technology, it also almost makes full output at engine idle speeds, so you do not very much output at idle, even when the alternator is under driven with a large alternator pulley. The 170 amp unit is $549, and is built with twin internal rectifiers with 12 diodes for outstanding durability. We give the Billet-Tech racing units a 10 year performance guaranty, and will repair any defects during that time

When did I say it was stock?:nonono: The case lets less cooling air in and they are stuffing more crap inside the housing creating even more air flow problem. Our problem isn't the alternator it's the position of it, which they aren't changing for $600+ :rollseyes

jazz05

Established Member
Mechman has a solid reputation in the car audio field , I think you guys will surprised at how good a well built alt can hold up !

When did I say it was stock?:nonono: The case lets less cooling air in and they are stuffing more crap inside the housing creating even more air flow problem. Our problem isn't the alternator it's the position of it, which they aren't changing for $600+ :rollseyes

'Cooling' has always been the suggested problem but why is it then that some of those oem alternators lasted 30k while others I've seen up to 80k or more if it was indeed a matter of 'cooling.' I'm on my 2nd oem alternator. My first last 39k. The one I'm on now has 48k and shows no voltage isues. Just trying to understand this.

Tony-

Thanks for adding that update. :beer:

SVTDice

Established Member
Its a nice piece, But I don't think I could ever justify spending that much on an alternator. Sorry to say. But that alt looks sick none the less. I'm curious to hear what people report back.

Its a nice piece, But I don't think I could ever justify spending that much on an alternator. Sorry to say. But that alt looks sick none the less. I'm curious to hear what people report back.

Out of curiosity, which one would you go with at this time if you needed a replacement? I mean there a few fellas now reporting some failures and customer service issues with the Ebay ones. And guys updating that thread and saying that the alternator is working doesn't really help that much as we need to see some miles put on these things. I mean I'm talking about at least 40k out of a alternator at minimum. Your thoughts?

Ponyman460

Established Member
I dont know. That is a lot of money for an alternator, BUT if it could solve my LACK of voltage at idle (especially when the lights, fan, etc are on at night) AND not take a shit when over spun it might be a great option. If the one on the car fails I will be definately looking at this more closely.

I am having charging issues at idle...and at night is the worst. I have the larger alt pulley on due to a 4lb lower. Maybe a 6lb lower would work better lol

getblowd

FTMFW
Established Member
hmmm very interesting
I also have major idle charging issues
Have had every alternator known
And have had all of them fail
I'm on like number seven or eight some lasted less then 10 miles...
so if this would solve that issue forever it is well worth the 600$
having an alt go out when your 100 miles from home is a pita and it's happened twice!!!
I can change these bitches in 5 minutes!!!

Ponyman460

Established Member
hmmm very interesting
I also have major idle charging issues
Have had every alternator known
And have had all of them fail
I'm on like number seven or eight some lasted less then 10 miles...
so if this would solve that issue forever it is well worth the 600$
having an alt go out when your 100 miles from home is a pita and it's happened twice!!!
I can change these bitches in 5 minutes!!!

for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread