Mechman alternators for 03-04 Cobras

TRBO VNM

That's vague. Shear off, break in half, break like the OE idler pulley's do? Please explain.

I'll still be taking with a grain of salt considering he run's 8's @ 152 and a 4.0 whipple which puts monstrous torque on the belt system.

I had no doubt they would take care of Jake and honor the warranty. I posted because it needed to be documented and Jake didn't have a chance to get in here yet. Vague or not, bottom line is the pulley broke and there will be or may be others with large blowers as well. We all know his setup and like I said, it needs to be documented.

Jake, did they ask for the old pulley back?

A63342DE-C513-4E7F-A91D-822858AC1C1A_zps2agkh2n1.gif

Last edited:

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Holy hell..that mother sheared right off....yeah...4.0L whipple...what a beast...awesome of mechman to warranty it! Im really leaning towards one of these...hard to beat a 10yr no questions asked warranty.

pylecobra03

pylecobra
Established Member
Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like a direct swap, including the wiring, is that right? I might just bite the bullet and go for one of these, my air compressors draw a lot of juice.
It is a direct fit in terms on how it bolts on. However, you need to upgrade your positive and ground alternator wires to at least 4 gauge for 170A unit. Stock is a 10 gauge positive wire. I routed a new 4 gauge cable in parallel to the old one. I left the old one sitting there since it is intertwined with starter cable and also uses interesting fuse link with voltage regulator wires.
I inserted a 200A fuse in between battery junction fuse box and that 4 gauge wire coming from the alternator. By keeping the old 10 gauge wire I made sure entire voltage regulator and alternator surge protection logic was intact. For the alternator ground, I just wired it directly to the battery negative post and attached the other end to the 15mm bolt (I needed that since my alternator is anodized and does not provide enough grounding).

Tractionless1

Established Member
It is a direct fit in terms on how it bolts on. However, you need to upgrade your positive and ground alternator wires to at least 4 gauge for 170A unit.

As you do with every other high amperage replacement, it's not just a trait of the Mechman. :nono:

I had no doubt they would take care of Jake and honor the warranty. I posted because it needed to be documented and Jake didn't have a chance to get in here yet. Vague or not, bottom line is the pulley broke and there will be or may be others with large blowers as well. We all know his setup and like I said, it needs to be documented.

What's the rush? It's not like he's not an upstanding member of the Terminator community. I'm sure he would have divulged all of the info in due time, maybe even after requesting warranty. I'd much rather that than, "BADAS03SVT just had a pulley break on his Mechman" as I doubt everyone out there is at the same enthusiast level as you and I and knows the in's an outs of even "the player's" setups. That's a hell of an assumption.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

As you do with every other high amperage replacement, it's not just a trait of the Mechman. :nono:

What's the rush? It's not like he's not an upstanding member of the Terminator community. I'm sure he would have divulged all of the info in due time, maybe even after requesting warranty. I'd much rather that than, "BADAS03SVT just had a pulley break on his Mechman" as I doubt everyone out there is at the same enthusiast level as you and I and knows the in's an outs of even "the player's" setups. That's a hell of an assumption.

The thread was back to the top of the page, I knew Jake had an issue and before crashing for the night I threw it out there that he had an issue. Hell, even jake didn't post all the info. All he commented on is that they were honoring the warranty and already had a new one sent out to him. So technically he didn't even clear anything up as you mentioned. I ended up posting the picture. The thread was active, I was about to go to bed and saw it, so I posted that someone did have an issue. Get over it already. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Users who are viewing this thread