Mechman alternators for 03-04 Cobras

FastlaneParts

Established Member
ttk53, I sent you a PM. Feel free to contact me with any issues.

Hello everyone, Hopefully most of you are not having any issues with your Billet-Tech alternator. If you do, remember - you have a TEN YEAR warranty, so I encourage you to take advantage of it. Contact Mechman: 1888-MECHMAN or send me a PM and I will try to connect you to someone there (I am a retailer, not the manufacturer).

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
If you haven't experienced what TTK53 above did I wouldn't sweat it. You'll see feathering of the belt edge first from it riding on the edge of the pulley. I have 0 issues with mine while running a 6 lb. caged lower.

TTK53, At any point did you put the OE alternator back on and run it to see what effect it has on the belt? What I'm getting at is the alternator bracket or hardware possibly contributing to the issue.

Thing is I do have belt feathering and it started squealing so I replaced belt with new and have yet to check on any more feathering since I don't drive it much around this time.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
why did you move it back 1/8" looks like if it was moved forward it would line up?

i haven't put a straight edge on mine, does look slightly off by eye but has not fallen off @ WOT up to 7200rpms or while on the 2 step which makes the belt tensioner go crazy.

Tractionless1

Established Member
why did you move it back 1/8" looks like if it was moved forward it would line up?

i haven't put a straight edge on mine, does look slightly off by eye but has not fallen off @ WOT up to 7200rpms or while on the 2 step which makes the belt tensioner go crazy.

I think the real world abuse you put it through far outweighs a straightedge. :lol:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I'd like to see someone with a stock or other than Mechman unit post a pi of the alternator alignment for comparison.

ttk53

Established Member

The belt kept ripping the back two ribs off

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
For those who are not having issues, did you purchase yours with an external regulator?

tuscani66

Established Member
Interested in this alternator though still leaning on the OEM replacement; I have 36k miles on my 2004 and I'm seeing signs that my alternator is going.

At start, I'm not producing amps, multimeter starts at 12.8 prior to start, after start it drops to 11.4 and continues to drop slowly. If I rev the motor once or twice I can see the battery jump up and multimeter shows a steady 13.3 to 13.5v for 5 minutes than shut down car. Either I never really noticed it before but last week I started the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes and car died. Had to jump start it, gauge of batt was on 8v (dash gauge) and rev'd and quickly jumped to the normal/middle position.

This weekend I'm going to check the connections to make sure nothing got loose, was wondering if this is common.

--edit--

reading the horror stories of the alternators and people with less than 50k already on their 4th; I also read about pulley or higher amp increasing life but for some, no change. I'm holding steady at 13.3/13.5 after rev, should I just replace the alt or if its holding there I should be okay for a while??

Last edited:

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Any updates from those that have purchased a Mechman? Been hitting the track a lot more and my reman unit is taking a beating.

Bought a 170 amp which is sitting in my garage. Should have it installed in the next week or two and will follow up with feedback.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Interested in this alternator though still leaning on the OEM replacement; I have 36k miles on my 2004 and I'm seeing signs that my alternator is going.

At start, I'm not producing amps, multimeter starts at 12.8 prior to start, after start it drops to 11.4 and continues to drop slowly. If I rev the motor once or twice I can see the battery jump up and multimeter shows a steady 13.3 to 13.5v for 5 minutes than shut down car. Either I never really noticed it before but last week I started the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes and car died. Had to jump start it, gauge of batt was on 8v (dash gauge) and rev'd and quickly jumped to the normal/middle position.

This weekend I'm going to check the connections to make sure nothing got loose, was wondering if this is common.

--edit--

reading the horror stories of the alternators and people with less than 50k already on their 4th; I also read about pulley or higher amp increasing life but for some, no change. I'm holding steady at 13.3/13.5 after rev, should I just replace the alt or if its holding there I should be okay for a while??

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1005245-Charging-System-Test-Procedures

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Please do! Ready to pull the trigger on one.

Finally got it installed and let it idle for about 10 minutes. It was showing 14.3 volts at the ECU at idle, need to check it again at the battery but very happy to see that. I had some pulley alignment issues that I'm hoping I corrected tonight, so I should have more info on voltage soon. I can't say that the billet tech alternator pulley or alt caused the misalignment because I have the Metco X10 pulley system, and replaced the billet tech pulley with the 10 rib metco version. We'll see what happens this weekend...

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I'm curious to hear more from firsthand users about this alternator. I did some datalogging on my 03 last night, and the max voltage was 13.5. However, I'm not willing to jigger some solution for pulley alignment issues. If anybody has pics of an actual unit, I'd love to see them!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
best part about this alternator....NO PULLEY CHANGES!

Ive had a 4#, 6# and a stock ring on this bad boy and it still pumps out over 14v

Users who are viewing this thread