Mechman alternators for 03-04 Cobras

FastlaneParts

Established Member
Finally got it installed and let it idle for about 10 minutes. It was showing 14.3 volts at the ECU at idle, need to check it again at the battery but very happy to see that. I had some pulley alignment issues that I'm hoping I corrected tonight, so I should have more info on voltage soon. I can't say that the billet tech alternator pulley or alt caused the misalignment because I have the Metco X10 pulley system, and replaced the billet tech pulley with the 10 rib metco version. We'll see what happens this weekend...

I'm OK with customers swapping-on a Metco or another aftermarket pulley. THAT SAID - KEEP AND EYE ON THE FITMENT! I have zero experience with how these pulleys engage with the shaft on the Billet units. The shaft is very different from the Ford 6G that metco designed their pulley to fit. Also, the only reason you need the aftermarket pulley is because a Ford 6g has a max rotor rpm around 10k, the Billet Tech is about 15k. Therefore the alternator doesn't necessarily need to larger pulley to slow it down and keep the rotor from uncoiling. Just letting you know what to keep an eye on! Contact me with any additional questions. :cheers:

TXEnginerd

Established Member
I'm curious to hear more from firsthand users about this alternator. I did some datalogging on my 03 last night, and the max voltage was 13.5. However, I'm not willing to jigger some solution for pulley alignment issues. If anybody has pics of an actual unit, I'd love to see them!

I have one and have no alignment issues whatsoever. Battery voltage PID reports around 14.0-14.5 during normal idling/cruising and dips into the 13s during a WOT pull. I have less than 100 miles on it but I barely drive the car so that's not going to change anytime soon.

pylecobra03

pylecobra
Established Member
I just placed an order for one today. I voiced my concerns regarding this misalignment issue to Matthew from Mechman, and he says those may have been caused by either using a wrong alt pulley or by improperly installing a spacer(s), that they provide with the unit. So, I dunno. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Btw, I have 2.9L Whipple and stock lower, so I am going with the pulley that they ship it with.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I just placed an order for one today. I voiced my concerns regarding this misalignment issue to Matthew from Mechman, and he says those may have been caused by either using a wrong alt pulley or by improperly installing a spacer(s), that they provide with the unit. So, I dunno. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Btw, I have 2.9L Whipple and stock lower, so I am going with the pulley that they ship it with.

Keep us posted, I want to know what the installation and product quality are like.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
still going strong here....quite a few alternator issues this weekend at the track.....MECHMAN

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Im saying 2 or 3 cars were having voltage problems this past weekend at the shootout with oem style units

pylecobra03

pylecobra
Established Member
Finally received mine (170A Billet Alternators) on Friday and managed to install during the weekend. That thing is build flawlessly! The build quality is top notch and it is pretty much identical to the Autozone unit - will try to upload some images later. It fits right in as a stock unit and aligned perfectly.
It read 14.7 - 14.8 on idle and never dipped below 14.5 for me during some intense driving, WOT pulls and my sound system blasting (lights on too).
Now, I think the question is reliability and only time will tell.
BTW, they attached a paper tag with some in house testing notes and it stated 138A at idle and 178 max for my particular unit.

pylecobra03

pylecobra
Established Member
20140524_164154.jpg
20140524_164309.jpg
20140524_164216.jpg

pylecobra03

pylecobra
Established Member
Awesome. Which model and options did you order? That looks pretty tempting right there. How much did it cost?

This one is 170A model with black anodized finish and internal voltage regulator. I originally ordered machined finish (who cares based on where it is located in our cars) but they had them out of stock so, for the same price, they shipped me the black one. I ordered from Mechman directly for $499 for machined ($525 for black and $550 chrome).

Tractionless1

Established Member
badass03svt just had the pulley break on his mechman.

That's vague. Shear off, break in half, break like the OE idler pulley's do? Please explain.

I'll still be taking with a grain of salt considering he run's 8's @ 152 and a 4.0 whipple which puts monstrous torque on the belt system.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
That's vague. Shear off, break in half, break like the OE idler pulley's do? Please explain.

I'll still be taking with a grain of salt considering he run's 8's @ 152 and a 4.0 whipple which puts monstrous torque on the belt system.

I agree it has to do with the Whipple. Ive NEVER had belt slip nor have I ever broken a belt and I always get the belt on by myself with moderate effort, never forced. Mechman has a new pulley on the way under warranty and hopefully a different style nut for it. I'll post some pics by the weekend. Alternator is fine, scratched up, but fine. The aluminum pulley broke.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
I agree it has to do with the Whipple. Ive NEVER had belt slip nor have I ever broken a belt and I always get the belt on by myself with moderate effort, never forced. Mechman has a new pulley on the way under warranty and hopefully a different style nut for it. I'll post some pics by the weekend. Alternator is fine, scratched up, but fine. The aluminum pulley broke.

Sounds like GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Tractionless1

Established Member

Thanks for clearing that up Jake. Looking forward to pics. Did Mechman say they have a fortified pulley for you?

Sounds like GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Heard nothing but good things so far with the warranties.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
This one is 170A model with black anodized finish and internal voltage regulator. I originally ordered machined finish (who cares based on where it is located in our cars) but they had them out of stock so, for the same price, they shipped me the black one. I ordered from Mechman directly for $499 for machined ($525 for black and $550 chrome).

Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like a direct swap, including the wiring, is that right? I might just bite the bullet and go for one of these, my air compressors draw a lot of juice.

Users who are viewing this thread