Meguiar's

GIDIEUP

Established Member
What type of Wax do you recommend?

I have been a pretty big fan of Zymbol and used it regulary. I tried eagle one wax (Joke) and wasn't very impressed by it. After about 6 hours of waxing the last couple of days I have to say that Meguiar's 3 step process did a pretty good job. Of course it did a good job if you don't mind waxing your car three times. The first treatment is for bug/tar/ swirl remover. The second is for the deep glossy wet look. And FINALLY the third is a protective covering. So they say. I was pretty impressed!

Has anyone used Meguiar's? Have you actually been that patient? What type of waxes do you recommend? I want something that is going to help with those little annoying swirl marks as well as protect. I'm sure a lot of you don't have to worry about swirl marks yet since you have 03 Cobras. I figured I would post in this thread to hopefully get some responses since this category is about 9 times bigger than the new edge form.

Cheers:beer:
Ryan

03DOHC

Established Member
I used Gold Class and was happy with it. I'll probably continue to use it. I never tried that 3 step thing. I love my car and dust it every day, but I'm lazy as hell.:)

CobraTone

Established Member
I have used the Meguiar's three step process as well, and it is a decent system. However I was amazed by Zaino (although it takes a lot more patience than even Meguiars.) But if you do it right, with claybar, swirl remover, polish, etc, your car will truly shine and look amazing. The best part of it is you just keep adding coats as you please, and you can switch between swirl remover and polish any time. Great stuff, most of this board will agree although there is some controversey whether or not it is worth the price (I got everything for about 80 bucks). :shrug: JMO, it's good damn stuff. :beer:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I used Meguiars for 8 years, the last 4 being Gold Class. It's an excellent product.

However, I recently decided to check out the Zaino thing for myself....

I'll never go back.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
My uncle owns a body shop in seattle and he has always used meguires since the 70s. So, of course, I use it too. Has worked great on all of my cars and have been using it since 88.

In fact, I've been asked if my 89 Jeep wrangler had a custom paint job when I took it to my off-road mechanic recently. with 160,000+ miles it still looks good as new.

And that is with the Texas and Phoenix sun beating down on it :)

:beer:

Infra-Red SVT

Established Member
I think they are all good products. At this time i'm using Eagle One. I've only used the 3 step thing when i had my black car. Black is so hard to keep clean. But it looks the best when it's clean. Nothing in my opinion comes close.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I've used Meguires and I agree with most on this board, that for polish, Zaino can't be beat. For gloss enhancement, Race Glaze is #1. 2 coats of Z2 and a final rub on with Race Glaze Gloss Enhancer, is truely amazing........

SNCBOOM

Established Member
03DOHC what were you using when you took the picture in your sig? That thing is perfect!

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My buddy got some of the gold class the other day, i dont think he's used it yet, hopefully it'll turn out good

Orange Poison

Established Member
I've used the Gold Class, doesn't last very long though. It gives good shine.

My next wax job will be the Mother's 3 phase system. It was given to me so I'll think I'll try it. It's supposed to take away or hide light scratches and swirls.

If it doesn't work, I'll try the clay bar and then Blitz's One Grand. My dad used it on his new Sonic Blue Ranger truck and it looks great. Good, good protection too.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Wanta03L
03DOHC what were you using when you took the picture in your sig? That thing is perfect!
Thanks, I haven't waxed her in at least 4 months. I washed it the day before that pic. The last thing I used on her was something called Dri-wash. It's easy to apply and easy to remove. Unfortunately, it attracts dust like a friggin magnet. I guess it must hold some kind of charge, so I stopped using it, but it does seem to work very well. Before that stuff, by a few months, is about 3 coats of Gold Class. I'll probably stick with the Gold Class. I'm not paying 80 bucks for wax.:rolleyes:

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
it seems that zaino wears off very quickly , and whats the difference between a polish such as zaino or a meguiars wax, wouldnt a carnuba wax protect the paint more from scratches??

SuperSonic

Established Member
I agree with 03DOHC, the Gold Class works fine and I can get it at Wal-Mart cheap. Been using Meguairs for many years on my 91', and people can't believe it's still the factory paint. The $70 I save can be used to buy a new set of plugs, or entry fee to an open track event.

Matt03

Established Member
I use meguiar's liquid gold and it work's great. I usually put on one coat, but occasionally I put on two and it looks amazing!

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Thanks for your replys. Looks like I'll be trying Meguiar's Gold Class as well as Zaino. The the step process worked great for me, but 6-8 hours of hand polishing can be a pain after a while. Now I don't want to drive it :) **BLING BLING **

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Corvette owners love Zaino. Need I say more?

80 bucks? Bah. I got 4 bottles of Z2, 1 bottle of Z5, 2 bottles of Z6, a bottle of Z12, and 2 bottles of Z16. Plus some ZXF.

Well over $100 and glad to spend it. I love that stuff!

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I have used both, I like both. But, as has been stated before, Meguires is considerably less expensive and looks just as nice. You do have to put two coats of the gold class for the best effect, but then again, I hear most Zaino nuts put 4 or 5 coats on their rides, so...

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Dem03SonicSnake
it seems that zaino wears off very quickly , and whats the difference between a polish such as zaino or a meguiars wax, wouldnt a carnuba wax protect the paint more from scratches??

Zaino wear off quickly??

Where on earth are you getting that info. Zaino is the longest lasting product I've ever used.

In fact, that's one of it's major advantages.

Dman512

Hey guys,

Mequairs has a product line above the gold class. The Mirror glaze and premium line are much better. Most of the mirror glaze line can be found at Autozone and the like, but the Premium line can only be gotten straight from Meguairs or centain auto paint suppliers. The stuff isn't cheap but it works better and last longer than the gold class. Check out their website. It's full of useful info on taking care of auto paint.

Users who are viewing this thread