Metco idler broke. Pics inside

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
Has anyone ever heard of this happening. I did a 40mph 2nd gear pull (like I've done countless times) and heard it pop and lost some power (probably due to belt slip) I pull over and found it like this and the belt was missing a rib.

I also noticed that metco has a new solid bracket style now. Do you think they will warranty this.

photo_zpsfa4cbfc8.jpg

photo_zpsab0be0fa.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Regardless of any stated warranty policy they should certainly replace a failed product such as that one, especially if they now sell a revised unit. Note that it failed at the corners, a weak area in that design. What I really don't like is what looks to be an undersized bolt for that slot as well as a washer that offers very little in terms of surface area...

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Ouch. GL, should be replaced, give them a call and refer to this thread for pics.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
Wow! Can you tell from the break if it was a casting or if it was made from aluminum plate? I would not have expected that to fail like that ... would have expected to see it bend some first, maybe some elongation of the material. I bet it had a material defect of sorts, maybe a small crack that just took enough heat cycles to break all the way through.

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm going to call tomorrow. By the time I had time to call, they were closed today. I just never heard of this happening and wanted to show you guys. I also agree. They knew something was wrong with the design or else the wouldn't have made a new one.

Last edited:

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
Regardless of any stated warranty policy they should certainly replace a failed product such as that one, especially if they now sell a revised unit. Note that it failed at the corners, a weak area in that design. What I really don't like is what looks to be an undersized bolt for that slot as well as a washer that offers very little in terms of surface area...

That bolt looks worse then it is. The hub that slides actually fits into this bracket tight and the washer and bolt are pretty much buried. I'll take a picture for you so you can see what I mean.

Last edited:

bFoxGt500

Established Member
When my mechanic was putting my newly built engine back on the car, he advised me to purchase a an upgrade idler. Said he'd seen the OE part fail "more than once". I did not get the Metco, but I can't recall off hand where I did get it (mechanic advised the brand).

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I considered that but what I like about this one is the amount of wrap on the blower pulley it gives you. The more it's wrapped, the less chance it's going to slip.

I've got VMP's 90mm idler and a 2.4 upper. Mine never slips. Just something to think about. I'm hesitant about putting the same part back on my car after it breaks.

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
Good point Cody. I'm going to call tomorrow. I'm going to tell them I don't want this junk one and I want it replaced with the beefier one that they sell now. I'm sure after people see this, they are all going to start to worry about the old model

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Metco's original solid bracket design installed on my car. Recently painted it flat black to match everything else under the hood. I like the extra belt wrap around my 3" pulley. If this one breaks, I have serious issues. Just glanced at their new design, it does look beefier than the one you just broke.

Metco Idler.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Wow! Can you tell from the break if it was a casting or if it was made from aluminum plate? I would not have expected that to fail like that ... would have expected to see it bend some first, maybe some elongation of the material. I bet it had a material defect of sorts, maybe a small crack that just took enough heat cycles to break all the way through.

Metco uses 6061 T-6 for these. The failure mode is indicative of the brittleness of the material along with a design that failed at a nearby weak point(s). Unless this case was an anomaly or some kind of an exception (excessive tension, abnormal tension spikes from acceleration/deceleration of the belt, defective material, etc), the design is flawed for this application. The redesign bolsters the argument.

That bolt looks worse then it is. The hub that slides actually fits into this bracket tight and the washer and bolt are pretty much buried. I'll take a picture for you so you can see what I mean.

I'd really like to see that. Again, that washer doesn't inspire much confidence.

BlueEyedSnake

Banned
I had their Pulley itself seize and brake off at the bearing. I was driving from California to Florida and it stranded me in the middle of Texas. It shredded my SC belt all to shit and no one had one anywhere. I had to pay $70 to have one shipped next day to my hotel. When I called Metco the guy said he couldn't do anything for me and recommended I buy their double bearing heavy duty idler Pulley to avoid that happening again in the future. I'm not going to lie, I was a little pissed. It seemed like it was normal and he didn't even offer me a discount on a new pulley. I had to pay for a tow, hotel room, belt plus shipping, and the install of the belt. I like the extra wrap as well, but it's always at the back of my mind when I get on it hard. Hope they can help you out.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I had their Pulley itself seize and brake off at the bearing. I was driving from California to Florida and it stranded me in the middle of Texas. It shredded my SC belt all to shit and no one had one anywhere. I had to pay $70 to have one shipped next day to my hotel. When I called Metco the guy said he couldn't do anything for me and recommended I buy their double bearing heavy duty idler Pulley to avoid that happening again in the future. I'm not going to lie, I was a little pissed. It seemed like it was normal and he didn't even offer me a discount on a new pulley. I had to pay for a tow, hotel room, belt plus shipping, and the install of the belt. I like the extra wrap as well, but it's always at the back of my mind when I get on it hard. Hope they can help you out.
is it possibly just put too much stress on the belt?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread