MGW handle only vs. Pro 5.0/Triax

jguerrero

Established Member
(did a search but could not find any solid answers)

I want to get rid of the the stock shifter as it is getting a bit rough shifting with the added hp and trq.

I have heard good things about the MGW shifter handle, but is it meant to just go with the stock shifter and make a difference? Will it be comparable to getting a Pro 5.0 or Triax?

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
I have the Tri-ax shifter and when I installed it, I noticed very quickly that the shifting distance was much shorter because of the shorter handle, so I bought the MGW handle and it helped tremendously. I can adjust the throw or length and direction of bend to what I want and also it took some of the whine out of the shifter because the MGW handle has rubber grommets. I also used some rubber gasket material and made me a gasket to go in between the shifter base of the steeda and to the trans base in order for them not to touch together. When metal to metal touches, it increases the whine noise. Now I have little whine now. I hope this helps?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you'll want both the MGW handle and TriAx or Pro 5.0 shifter. But you could order the MGW handle first and try it out with your stock shifter. I know a couple of folks here have done that and were happy. Then if you still not happy with the shifter you can order it. It is very easy to replacel the handle and just as simple to replace the shifter so you're not going to lose much time if you experiment per my above suggestion.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
MGW handle and Triax has been great for me as well. Even with the seat extenders, I have no problem with 3rd or 5th.

trey193

Established Member
MGW handle here with stock shifter and the UPR Quad. and Firewall Adj. I think this is the best combo out there, several friends have aftermarket shifters, they just arent for me!

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I have the MGW handle w/ stock shifter. I like it best. I'd at least try it first as CobraBob suggested. I can't remember the link, but George at MGW had a promotion going on another site where you could get a Pro-5.0, MGW handle, and MGW knob shipped for like $220.00. Great deal, but I already had the knob and handle and am plenty happy w/ that set-up. The only thing was you DID NOT get the Pro 5.0 handle. Still a great deal if you don't have any of the components! Try the MGW handle first, you may save yourself $200.00.

jguerrero

Established Member
thanks for the replies. I guess the smart thing would be to try the MGW first and see how that goes.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
mgw first and loved the reach. bought the triax to shorten the throws. Did Iron Terps gasket mod and the triax mgw combo is quieter than stock. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread