• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

MGW shifter, yes, SHIFTER in the works

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by Corner-Carver, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Corner-Carver

Corner-Carver The Voice of Reason Established Member

I'll be selling my Pro 5.0 with the MGW handle here shortly.:thumbsup:

I've been beta testing the T-56 version of MGW's new shifter, yes, I said shifter, not shifter handle. I've been pestering George about making a shifter that would outperform every shifter on the market and, get this, be almost DEAD SILENT. We met a few times discussing ideas, do's and don'ts, and the version I have in my car now is by far the best shifter I've ever used. This includes my past Hurst, Tri-Ax, and Pro 5.0 shifters.

It's got the shortest throw of any shifter I've ever used. It is noticably shorter than my Pro 5.0. The first time I hammered it, I was literally waiting on the clutch to come back up.;-) It's a super fast shift. :burnout: It doesn't have the "SNICK SNICK TICK TACK" sound of any other shifter, it's got a very quiet "thuck" sound. No gear whine, no ringing, nada. The handle position is infinitly adjustable for it's location and the knob stays almost perfectly parallel in any gear. No more having to reach UNDER the knob for a 2-3 shift for us long legged guys. It feels great!:rockon:

Short, precise, and QUIET. And as many of you already know, MGW does not turn out inferior quality products. Their fit and finish sets the benchmark. So will this shifter. :coolman:

2. fubu795

fubu795 Banned

When will it be available?

3. Corner-Carver

I was over there at lunch today. There are shifter parts all over the place. He should be getting the 3650 bases back from the anodizer shortly. The T-56's will follow behind.

4. RedCobraFire

RedCobraFire New Member Established Member

Any idea as far as price?

5. Corner-Carver

George mentioned that it should be inline with the Pro 5.0 and Tri-Ax.

6. 03gobluecobra

03gobluecobra torque steer sucks Established Member

I just bought the MGW handle. I love it. It would be nice if this shifter was available without the handle, for those of us who already own the handle.

7. sam

sam New Member Established Member

i don't even need to see it. when it's available i'm all in.

8. Corner-Carver

03goblue,

It's a COMPLETELY different design. It's not like anything on the market. Just sell the handle to someone else.;-)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  9. RedCobraFire

RedCobraFire New Member Established Member

Im all for it. I know my buddy will buy my handle. Guess i'll hold off my pro 5.0 purchase.

10. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

I'm sure it will be a great shifter but the noise comes from the transmission, not the shifter. You can minimize the noise, but you won't eliminate it with a shifter. The shifter can be designed to minimize the transferring of tranny noise, but that's about it. My shifter gaskets do the same thing. But "dead quiet". It would be nice, but it's not going to happen with a shifter.

Whether or not it is better than a Pro 5.0 or Tri-Ax will remain to be seen after an impartial comparison (hopefully). :)

11. ChicagoMike

ChicagoMike Modification Addict Established Member

Subscribing.

12. 2kbill

2kbill Member Established Member

MGW takes a lot of pride in their work. I have no doubt that it will be a quality product. I will likely try it, and compare against my current Triax.

13. hdsupercrewf150

hdsupercrewf150 New Member Established Member

Could we get a group buy on this;-)

14. vbguy01

vbguy01 New Member Established Member

Same deal here... Just bought the handle and it is much better than stock (IMHO).

15. Corner-Carver

You are correct, and wrong. I said the shifter should be DEAD SILENT.

Explain why adding an aftermarket shifter seemingly adds noise? Simple, lack of isolation, incorrect mass for noise transmission dampening. There are numerous ways to minimize noise: isolation and mass loading are just a couple. There are better ways than simply adding a gasket to the base.

FWIW, the only noise I hear is coming thru the POS rubber dust boot from the tranny, NOT the shifter, unlike my Pro 5.0. A simple downshift and you could hear the synchros like they were in the car with you. Not so anymore, not by a long shot.

As you very well now, isolation is only one way to damping any noise from an aftermarket shifter. How much noise do you think the shifter will add if it is COMPLETELY isolated from the tranny? Here's a hint, the idea is being patented. :idea:

If MGW's track record of craftsmanship is any indication... there will be TONS of "impartial comparisons".

16. SVTdubs

SVTdubs have you seen my baseball Established Member

subscribing, I will buy one and compare it to my pro 5.0 with a mgw knob and handle

17. ChicagoMike

ChicagoMike Modification Addict Established Member

If it were to be shorter throw .. I'm thinking that the shifter itself would have to sit higher than the pro 5.0 or stock. Am I right? This would also isolate the vibration/noise with all the space inbetween.

18. 03gobluecobra

03gobluecobra torque steer sucks Established Member

damn it, i love that MGW handle. I just got and already it's gonna have to go.

19. dgussin1

dgussin1 If I offend you, IDGAF Established Member

Does this mean that the market will be flooded with tri-ax's and pro 5.0's? I will wait and hear more results before I commit to anything. Remember the "brisk plugs, 10hp" yeah, right.

20. sjw985

sjw985 New Member Established Member

Subscribing...