MGW shifter?

Rich-C

Established Member
I was told they expect to have the next batch out before xmas. I hope so :D Sooo pumped to get mine

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
i got mine installed yesterday. honestly it was not what i expected. i had a MGW with my 3650 and the T56 and they felt a LOT stiffer and had a more positive engagement than the new shifter. i know it is a completely different design with the remote mount shifter in the 5.0. i guess it will just take some getting use to. it is an improvement over the stock shifter but i was expecting it to feel more like what the barton shifter is like

yellowrubiu

Established Member
I never had the barton so I can't comment on that but I can say that to me the MGW feels a thousand times better than stock from a positive engagement perspective. I felt the stock shifter almost had a double click type of feel to it when going into 1st or 2nd. What I mean by that is that I felt a click that would lead me to believe it was engaged but there was still room to push further until the gear was fully engaged. A couple of times I fell for this after taking off from a full stop and the shifter would pop out and grind. I've always wondered if this is what some people were referring to when they've complained about their transmission popping out of gear but I think it has more to do with a lazy/sloppy shift and not pushing until fully engaged. With the MGW you don't get this at all, it is in or out of gear and no in between.

NASCAR5.0

Established Member
i got mine installed yesterday. honestly it was not what i expected. i had a MGW with my 3650 and the T56 and they felt a LOT stiffer and had a more positive engagement than the new shifter. i know it is a completely different design with the remote mount shifter in the 5.0. i guess it will just take some getting use to. it is an improvement over the stock shifter but i was expecting it to feel more like what the barton shifter is like

Can you compare the barton and the MGW a little more please. Such as what you liked better about each one.

So far I have tried the Barton, which I really liked. Due to its very solid and firm gear engagement and short throw.
I tried the Steeda, which imo feels almost like stock.
I was considering the MGW because it looks like the best built shifter on the market and all the hype surrounding it, and its priced almost the same as the Barton. And the fact that it replaces more than just the upper assembly.

11BLK5.0

Established Member
Is it me but after the install of mgw shifter I can hear the whine of the gears more and alot more noise. I know you should here something but thought it would be a little less

yellowrubiu

Established Member
Is it me but after the install of mgw shifter I can hear the whine of the gears more and alot more noise. I know you should here something but thought it would be a little less

I have a bit of a whine but mine started before I installed the MGW shifter. I first noticed it after installing the the JHR bracket and when it got cold and I started driving around with the windows up. Then I had the TSB for the fluid swap done and noticed an increase in the noise level. Now that I've swapped to the MGW shifter it is still there at about the same noise level. I'm considering switching to MLT in the spring when I get the car on the road again.

BRNG ITT

Established Member

Just curious, what day did you get your name on the waiting list?

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

i totally understand what you are referring to and unfortunately the years of top loader trannies are behind us so nothing is gonna quite feel like that.

but some things to consider...

we get a few of people trying the barton in cars that are parked and love the way they feel when not moving because the throw is a lot shorter but when they actually try gear changing on the fly in motion the gears are too notchy. i played around with a BUNCH of throw variations over months and months and its in my opinion the BEST combination of gear engagement. i too would like that feel when parked or sitting at a light when playing with the shifter to feel a little more stiff but when running hard on the track or shifting fast it just feels SOOOOOO perfect that i would not change a thing.

give it some seat time and you will see.

george

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

make sure that inner boot is perfectly sealed . we are working AGAIN :dw: on a better boot design and will be sending it out. it is just a few weeks away. its softer to make it easier to install and as a result of being softer will also absorb more noise.

george

hand-filer

Established Member

Take it from someone that has had both shifters. The Barton is not even close to the MGW. If you want that top loader feel you will need to install a top loader.

Users who are viewing this thread