MGW's GT350 Shifter Has Arrived

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The tower base on the FWD tranny shifters make them tough to design an MGW level shifter around.

I wasn't sure about the characteristics of the car and if something could be designed to have the level of execution described here. I was hopeful though.

As I'm sure you've noticed, the fwd/awd segment isn't favored by many of the larger aftermarket shifter companies. I've discussed this with George and cars like the RS don't fall in line with the rest of their product mix. But hey, if you had convinced him otherwise, I'm sure the reward would have been well worth the effort. Beyond that, FRPP will probably come out with a cable variant with 15-20% reduction in throw that may work well for you.

Word has it that FP designed the shifter with the FRPP short throw already installed, reviews suggest that it is already pretty short. I've never really been concerned with the length of the throw (within reason) but the scalpel like precision depicted here is something I would absolutely adore.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Cable actuated shifters can only be so "precise." Ford usually leaves room for FRPP to offer a shorter throw unit but you're wise to the attraction on it's face. Typical short throw shifters usually come at a price - increased notchiness.

I have no doubt George could design a precision unit for one of these cars (the RS, that is). The problem is that the linkage converts to cable actuation at some point.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Cable actuated shifters can only be so "precise." Ford usually leaves room for FRPP to offer a shorter throw unit but you're wise to the attraction on it's face. Typical short throw shifters usually come at a price - increased notchiness.

I have no doubt George could design a precision unit for one of these cars (the RS, that is). The problem is that the linkage converts to cable actuation at some point.

I see.

Thanks Tob and Sid.

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
Another functioning piece of Mechanical Art from MGW.

Great write-up on a great new Shifter.

Last edited:

marc@kentucky

Established Member
Tob,

I saw a comment on another unnamed forum that MGW would install the shifter if you purchased it directly at their facility in GA. I don't see any reference to this on their site, can you confirm if this is true?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It's worth the trip.

I had fun down there with you and George. Glad I missed the flooding!

Imageql00007sa.jpg

Imageql00011sa.jpg

Voodooo413

Established Member
I have my order placed already. Did so on May 26. They are doing a 50 shifter run. I'll let you all know how it goes once I get mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Be prepared for a shit eating grin that won't go away.

Too bad everyone doesn't see what takes place inside this mechanical marvel. Speaking of which, Tony Stark could learn a thing or two from George.

Imageql00003.jpg

marc@kentucky

Established Member
Contemplating a trip to Georgia to get it done?

I'm registered to attend the Track Tour event in Dawsonville in July and after following your thread on this shifter the thought had certainly crossed my mind to take an extra day for a detour to their facility in Augusta. Now I just have to convince the wife to take an extra day off!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Call MGW and see if there is a date available for an install that meshes with your Dawsonville visit. If there is there is no reason not to do it!

Users who are viewing this thread