MGW's GT350 Shifter Has Arrived

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had a discussion with George today after he took a look at some recent posts in this thread. A point of clarification is in order. You can indeed call and ask to be put on the list you just wouldn't be paying at this point. If you are considering the upgrade, get your name in there.

We also talked about price. George hinted that he's working hard to be somewhere close to the Race Spec that he currently sells for MT82 equipped cars. I suspect it'll be a little more than that shifter, simply because there are more parts and labor involved. I wish I could share what's inside this one so that you could see how it works. It's a fascinating and beautiful solution to a challenge imposed by the TR3160 which allowed George to dump the factory pendulum architecture and replace it with a highly engineered, single axis (think bolt-action rifle) design.

Breitling

Established Member
I apologize if I missed it, but about how long does it take to install the shifter for a shade tree mechanic? And, can it be done with jack stands as opposed to a lift?

Thanks for the write-up, Tob.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It can absolutely be installed on a car up on stands. Just as it would be installing a shifter on your GT500, you have to lower the transmission crossmember by pulling the bolts to allow the transmission to tip down at the rear. You don't have to pull the driveshaft nor do you have to disconnect the exhaust system.

The arms which connect the transmission to the body of the shifter get installed under the car as you can't put the entire shifter together and then install it. Fitting the rear bushing as well as the top arm and linkage rod are similar to previous installation requirements as well. George, Travis and I were all together under the car as George tried things a couple of different ways. Travis filmed everything so that as with other MGW shifters, a video will be up to help illustrate the best way to install everything.

As to how long it may take a typical enthusiast that has all the proper tools and has watched MGW's video? My guess would be a relaxed 2.5 hours. As with most anything else, if you were to install a second shifter (such as in a friend's car) your install time would lessen somewhat.

JCSIX13

Established Member
It can absolutely be installed on a car up on stands. Just as it would be installing a shifter on your GT500, you have to lower the transmission crossmember by pulling the bolts to allow the transmission to tip down at the rear. You don't have to pull the driveshaft nor do you have to disconnect the exhaust system.

The arms which connect the transmission to the body of the shifter get installed under the car as you can't put the entire shifter together and then install it. Fitting the rear bushing as well as the top arm and linkage rod are similar to previous installation requirements as well. George, Travis and I were all together under the car as George tried things a couple of different ways. Travis filmed everything so that as with other MGW shifters, a video will be up to help illustrate the best way to install everything.

As to how long it may take a typical enthusiast that has all the proper tools and has watched MGW's video? My guess would be a relaxed 2.5 hours. As with most anything else, if you were to install a second shifter (such as in a friend's car) your install time would lessen somewhat.

Tob,

How close is it to installing a race spec MT-82? I had installed one in my 14 GT track pack car and it was not that hard.

Thanks

Jack

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Similar.

I suppose a good look at the two tells much of the story. What you installed was no doubt similar to this...

MGW%20MT-82%20Compact%20Race-Spec%20Shifter%202.jpg

And here's a shot of the GT350 shifter attached to a stand mounted TR3160...

VIR_MGW_GT350_Shifter_016.jpg

You're doing much of the work in the same general area. You are still connecting to the ears atop the transmission case as well as the transmission shifter rail beneath it. Since the GT350 shifter doesn't use the bridge/etc that the Race Spec uses you don't have to tie into the bolt heads on the side of the transmission like on the MT82. Instead, you are installing the bolts that fasten the red arms on each side of the shifter box to the connecting link that bolts to the case ears as well as the rear mount.

You do have to disassemble the factory GT350 shifter somewhat in order to be able to get it out. It's pretty bare bones however and it is time rather than difficulty that you'll face.

ON EDIT:

Note that you only see one shaft exiting the MT82 Race Spec whereas the GT350 shifter has two. That's where the magic happens with this badboy.

Last edited:

JCSIX13

Established Member
I had the first geration race spec shifter that did not have the arms that go to the transmission. it was supported at the back like the factory shifter.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good to hear. If you're a fan of precise shifts you're absolutely going to love it.

An update of sorts and a rather simple one. Every shift brings a smile especially under "spirited" conditions. This car was ripe for a shifter upgrade as in my opinion the shift quality didn't match the capability of the rest of the car. You can adjust the ride, the steering, and the exhaust, but are stuck with a shifter that would be more at home in a Honda or Toyota. The clutch pedal suffers the same fate but can be addressed (however mildly) with a spring change. Under load and executing shifts quickly and aggressively, this shifter gets it done with a heightened sense of satisfaction.

Now when I approach the car I think about two things - winding the bejeezus out of the 5.2 and banging shifts. With the exhaust in loud mode and the steering/suspension set to match, of course.:rockon:

Last edited:

raiderjatt02

Established Member
Dammit Tob! Stop making me want to keep spending more $$. The more I read about the shifter the more I want it. And I'm prefectly fine with the stock shifter as it is!.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Rowing gears with the factory shifter is like a caveman doing brain surgery with a chisel and a hammer. Everybody was content. Then something better came along.

Let go of the chisel and free your mind.

marc@kentucky

Established Member
Has anyone heard any updates from MGW on when these might be released? I had sent a message a while back that I was going to be in the area at the end of next week so just curious if anyone has been contacted regarding potential availability.

Regards,

-Marc

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I just talked to George and asked about the GT350 shifter. I think it is going to be closer to the end of the month or the beginning of August. Not only is MGW pretty darn busy but I think they were waiting on something that is supplied to them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread