Mickey Thompson Street SS - Need Highway Opinion

Necrosuit

Established Member
Hello folks,
I will be buying a set of Drag Radials for my 2k11 GT500 with about 650 HP to the wheels. I was going to buy the MT Street S/S tires but I have been reading that people say they have lots of sway on highway use and are way better suited for the track etc. Do any of you have these tires and if so what is your experience on the highway with them? thank you!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Nt05r are more stable at speed by far.

However they don't hook as good as the mickeys.

I can feel the ass end move around wih the mickeys. Not enough to make me pucker, but you feel it.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I had the Mickeys on coming back from Spokane this weekend and ran into some rain. It was pretty scary, the ass end slips around a lot. In dry weather it's not as bad but you can feel it.

Slow Five-O

Established Member
Nt05r are more stable at speed by far.

However they don't hook as good as the mickeys.

I can feel the ass end move around wih the mickeys. Not enough to make me pucker, but you feel it.

Agreed. The nt05r will be better for highway use and will last longer. But won't hook as good.

I would not recommend the m/T's for daily driving. If you're putting them on to head to the track or get together then caution is all that's needed.

And yes they are very dangerous in the rain.

Edit. I wouldn't recommend the nt05r for rain either btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PC03GT

Established Member
I have the et streets, the driving experience is different, but you get used to it. Like gimmie11s said it's not bad enough to make you puckered up

Torchy

Established Member
Their about to go on my DD so we'll see. It also doesn't rain here though.

GBCoyote

Established Member
I recently had a run in with some white cars that weren't huge fans of some highway pulls I did...long story short I had to hit a bunch of windy roads to get gone and these tires did great. I recently put these on stepping up in power from my prior NT01's (corner carvers) and the mickeys treated me very well when I needed them to. I'm not sure where everyone's speculation that these tires sway and what not. My sidewall is only 45 though, so that may make a difference. But I hook up with them pretty well and I'm over 650hp.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we run the crap out of them on the highway

if they are good enough for 180 at the strip, i ain't worried about 75 on the highway :)

rustang1

Established Member
I could tell no difference between 555R's, NT05R's and ET S/S except for hooking.

There is a difference between the 285/40/18's and the 275/60/15's.

20lbbooster

Established Member
The sway is gonna be more of an issue depending on what size tire you run. A 275/60/15 will move much more than a 305/40/18 no matter what tire you run.

I run the SS in 305/40/18 and on dry land they are perfectly fine. I try to avoid the rain. This is my street setup. My car is making north of 850whp.

Necrosuit

Established Member
The sway is gonna be more of an issue depending on what size tire you run. A 275/60/15 will move much more than a 305/40/18 no matter what tire you run.

I run the SS in 305/40/18 and on dry land they are perfectly fine. I try to avoid the rain. This is my street setup. My car is making north of 850whp.

I will be running the P305/35R20 size.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I honestly have never noticed sway on my car. I've ran 19" 05R's up to 130ish on the street with no sway. I've had the QTP's up to around there with no sway. The 05R's were a decent tire. With heat, they hooked up really well with my bolt on/3.73 setup from a dig. I traded them to a buddy who has them on his Paxton car now and he dead hooks first in them.

If I were doing a DR though, the S/S would hands down be the tire I bought. They flat out work. If a 1100whp Hellcat on a 175 shot can hook them, so can I lol.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
So you guys running 275/60 can easily get to and from the track on the highway with just a little swaying?

Users who are viewing this thread