Midnight Madness racing.....AR meet>>memphis 24June

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Here are the few details I have so far..... There is a big group meeting I will fill in details as I get them :beer:

TCI MIDNIGHT MADNESS
presented by Memphis Auto Repair
Gates open 9:00pm
Racing 10:00pm to 2:00am

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
LightningMedic said:
Hey i started a post about the 24th......Hey evan did you race last nite??

Nah, I'm not a racer...YET. To make a long story short, I sold my 98 v6, of 5 years ownership, and made the jump to a cobra vert. It was more of a showcar (waste of money to mod a 6), so now I've been bitten by the speed/power bug, and I refuse to rub any cream or ointments on this bite. Hopefully if I can find the pump button to my nuts, I'll be hitting the quarter with you guys this weekend instead of being a benchwarmer. Hell, I'll need a crapload of tips or everyone will be pointing and laughing at the slanteye. :dw:

Cheyenne, I might call you before the 24th to talk to you about some things, so give me your digits again. I'm taking off work this entire day to get ready for this shiznit. I'm also thinking about getting a bikini wax that day so I'll look purty for you grease monkeys. :rockon:

I was wondering today if it would be possible to slap on some 4.10s before our trip, I have the money ready to purchase, but don't know where to buy for a good price, or where to get them installed by someone who knows wtf they're doing. This would make my trip more interesting... ANY INFO APPRECIATED! :beer:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I can't wait to move to Fort Campbell. You guys are right dowm the road!

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Hey Evan try using Nair for men......dosent hurt has bad........................anyways try calling superior spring in NLR.....they do a good job...not sure about the price but they can usually do it in one day....also look at getting a set of good tires insted of gears right now.....no point it power mods if you cant get it to the ground.....try a nitto 555r of bfg comp t/a drag radial in a 275/40/17.....but I agree the gears would be alot more fun to drive with....Also there was a recall on all 99 cobras...you need to call ford and make sure that it was done on your car....something with the exhaust......PM sent also...

No problam with it being your first time....I will be easy.....I took Travis and Jake for there first time and didnt damage them.........to much.... :poke: :banana: :pepper: :dw:

Never mind the recall I just rembered that you have the borla.....duh

Last edited:

DSGMach

Mach-oholic
Established Member
AzianStang said:
Nah, I'm not a racer...YET. To make a long story short, I sold my 98 v6, of 5 years ownership, and made the jump to a cobra vert. It was more of a showcar (waste of money to mod a 6), so now I've been bitten by the speed/power bug, and I refuse to rub any cream or ointments on this bite. Hopefully if I can find the pump button to my nuts, I'll be hitting the quarter with you guys this weekend instead of being a benchwarmer. Hell, I'll need a crapload of tips or everyone will be pointing and laughing at the slanteye. :dw:

Cheyenne, I might call you before the 24th to talk to you about some things, so give me your digits again. I'm taking off work this entire day to get ready for this shiznit. I'm also thinking about getting a bikini wax that day so I'll look purty for you grease monkeys. :rockon:

I was wondering today if it would be possible to slap on some 4.10s before our trip, I have the money ready to purchase, but don't know where to buy for a good price, or where to get them installed by someone who knows wtf they're doing. This would make my trip more interesting... ANY INFO APPRECIATED! :beer:

If you plan on going with gears this week you'll definetly be warming the bench this weekend. You have to break those gears in before you start running it hard. Break in is I think about 3000 miles. And its not good to stay at one constant speed while breaking them in.(which you'll be doing if you drive all the way to Memphis) Hope I didn't break your spirits, I just wouldn't want to see ya destroy your rear end.

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Here is a write up that I found about gear break in.....If you do it this week early...you will have plenty of miles of break in.....

New Gear Break-In

Do we really need to break in a new gear set? I have heard many people say "When I bought my new truck, no one ever told me to break in the ring & pinion." Whenever we are blessed enough to afford a new vehicle, we take it easy on the engine for the first few hundred miles. While we are pampering the engine (probably for the last time ever), the ring & pinion set goes along for the ride and gets a chance to break in before we hammer the throttle.

In most stock vehicles with stock tires there is seldom a risk of a burned gear set. For those of us who modify and use our trucks, there many situations that can contribute to burned gear syndrome. Motorhomes, towing, tall tires, and high numeric gear ratios (4.56 & up) can all generate a lot of heat and cause the gear oil to break down. The greatest damage to a new gear set results from running for ten minutes or more during the first 500 miles when the oil is very hot. Any heavy use or overloading while the oil is extremely hot will cause it to break down and allow irreversible damage to the ring & pinion.

In order to make them run cooler and quieter, new gears are lapped at the factory. However, they are not lapped under the same pressures that driving creates. The loads generated while driving force any microscopic high spots on the gear teeth back into the surface of the metal. This is called "work hardening". Work hardening is similar to forging in the way that it compresses the metal molecules into a very compact and hard formation. This can only be accomplished if the metal surfaces are lubricated and the gear temperature stays cool enough that the molecular structure does not change. If the temperature of the metal gets hot enough to change the molecular structure, it will soften the surface instead of hardening it. This may seen like a balancing act, but it all happens easily and passively as long as the oil keeps the gear cool while it is breaking in. Some of the synthetic oils on the market today can help a gear set live longer. I've had great success with Red Line ®, Torco ®, and Richmond Gear ® synthetic gear oils. These oils will continue to lubricate at temperatures where many crude oils break down.

Even with synthetic oils, I still recommend the following procedure for breaking in a new gear set: After driving the first 15 to 20 miles, stop and let the differential cool before proceeding. Keep the vehicle at speeds below 60 mph for the first 100 miles. I also recommend putting at least 500 miles on the new gear set before heavy use or towing. During the first 45 miles of towing, it helps to go about 15 miles at a time before stopping to let the differential cool for 15 minutes before continuing. This is necessary because not all of the gear tooth is making contact until it is heavily loaded. When towing, the teeth flex to contact completely, and cause the previously unloaded portion of the teeth to touch and work harden. It is very easy to damage the ring & pinion by overloading before the teeth are broken-in. If you take it easy on a new ring & pinion and keep it full of high quality oil, it will last a lot longer.

With regards to limited slip additives, I have found that using too much additive can lead to premature gear wear. Use just enough to keep the limited slip from chattering but not more than 4 oz for every 2 qts of oil. It is a good idea to change the gear oil after the first 500 miles in order to remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set. This is cheap insurance and a good time to discover any problems before they grow too big.

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Yeah to tell the truth, I was researching break-in period for a couple hours last night on these forums, and it seemed like no one could get a definite answer, but it seems this info is legit. People were saying no break-in to I think about 500 miles. If I didn't feel as if the gears were broken in, I'd never take a chance at the track. Even if I got the gears installed this weekend, I'd never reach the 500 mark (work is about 16 miles round trip per day), but I'm still gonna go on the trip, no way in hell I'm backing out.

What do you guys think about Motive gears? I was looking up the FRPPs and Motives on MustangTuning.com last night. It seems the Motive are just as durable and are cheaper. But then again, what about the bearing and installation kits? Should I get those too? I'm wanting a perfect, smooth install.

I'm gonna call Superior Spring and see what they say on price. Is that place ghetto or anything?

I'm thinking about buying the gears today, so let me know whatever info you guys can give me. Cheyenne, I'm waiting for a big check to clear the bank and hopefully I can get some tires after that. I want the gear install out of the way.

:p

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Superior is great.....We take all of our ambulances to get any drive line repairs done there.....Christian just ordered motive gears for his stang 3:73...I checked them out when they came. They are a nice set.....I dont know how many miles are on your cobra but I would get the install kit with the bearings to just be on the safe side.....And i think superior gives you a warrenty with there work...might want to ask about that.

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
I went ahead and ordered the FRPP 4.10s plus installation kit from MustangTuning.com, $189 for gear set, $89.00 for the kit with free shipping. I wanted a brand spanking new set of gears. I went ahead and got the installation kit although my car has only 51k on the clock, don't want anything bad to happen, plus I want the set to last a long time. The kit is for the Motive gear set, but the guy said the kit would work with the FRPPs.

So now I'm left with fixing the speedo. Should I get some speedo gear teeth (or whatever they're called) or get a Speedcal? Would it matter and which one should I get?

I also called Superior, they gave me a $325 quote for labor! I dunno, maybe I should look around, but the guys up there were very helpful and seem to know what they're doing, plus they said they could possibly get my car in and out in a day. Whadda ya think?

I'm hoping I don't have driveshaft vibration at high speeds, this seemed to be a problem with some cars after a gear install. I went ahead and got a quote for balancing the driveshaft if necessary, too bad I don't have enough dough to go ahead and get an aluminum.

I'm probably getting the gears middle of next week, I'm going to go ahead and wait until the following week for installation so the set can have adequate time to be broken-in.

So what about that labor price, and what should I do about the speedo?

svtexcelr8

Patiently Waiting
Established Member
i doubt the driveshaft problem will be anything. a for power mods, i agree with cheyenne, learn to drive what you got before you make it any faster/more power. and driving on the street and racing at the track couldnt be any more opposite. the track will take a lot of practice but being comfortable with your car on the street will help you out tremendously. if you need any help or tips or stock exhaust (lol) or whatever let me know, i would be happy to help. and yes dont worry, i will get the stock exhaust back to you asap. if you havent noticed i am in the middle of a move...moving this weekend as a matter of fact for those of you that want to help, but i will get it to you as soon as i can! hope you are still enjoying those borlas. and i would imagine that your car already has the fix for '99s if it has 50000 miles on the od.

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
svtexcelr8 said:
i doubt the driveshaft problem will be anything. a for power mods, i agree with cheyenne, learn to drive what you got before you make it any faster/more power. and driving on the street and racing at the track couldnt be any more opposite. the track will take a lot of practice but being comfortable with your car on the street will help you out tremendously. if you need any help or tips or stock exhaust (lol) or whatever let me know, i would be happy to help. and yes dont worry, i will get the stock exhaust back to you asap. if you havent noticed i am in the middle of a move...moving this weekend as a matter of fact for those of you that want to help, but i will get it to you as soon as i can! hope you are still enjoying those borlas. and i would imagine that your car already has the fix for '99s if it has 50000 miles on the od.

Sup man, are you going to Memphis? I'm asking all my friends if they want to go. Can't wait! I'll go ahead and say that I can drive my car pretty well after only a month. I'm ready for the 4.10s and how crazy they're going to be. Just bought the speedcal from dallas mustang a couple hours ago. My second car was a 97 v6 5-speed and I got the car before I even knew how to drive the damn thing. Boldness runs in my veins.

:rockon:

BTW, My car has to have the fix, first owner was the wife of a Ford dealership owner.

Do you think the labor quote from Superior Springs was too high? :shrug:

Last edited:

2000_LS1

Banned
If I'm up and running I will go...if ya'll don't mind an LS1 following..maybe leading, lol j/k, I have to take it easy for a little while too...all new parts going in now, almost all anyway. I'll let ya know as it gets closer if you don't mind, I'm always game for some cruising/racing, even if I don't participate.

AzianStang...get someone off the board to help you with it...you'll get more satisfaction that way, knowing you did it yourself, and save some $$$$. Just $0.02...if you need help that bad I can come up one day next week...I live in Rison or you can come down here to my shop, doesn't matter to me.

My cell # is 870-413-9304 leave a message if no answer. I work for the railroad and have a screwed up schedule.

OrgasmicSVT

Established Member
AzianStang said:
I went ahead and ordered the FRPP 4.10s plus installation kit from MustangTuning.com, $189 for gear set, $89.00 for the kit with free shipping. I wanted a brand spanking new set of gears. I went ahead and got the installation kit although my car has only 51k on the clock, don't want anything bad to happen, plus I want the set to last a long time. The kit is for the Motive gear set, but the guy said the kit would work with the FRPPs.

So now I'm left with fixing the speedo. Should I get some speedo gear teeth (or whatever they're called) or get a Speedcal? Would it matter and which one should I get?

I also called Superior, they gave me a $325 quote for labor! I dunno, maybe I should look around, but the guys up there were very helpful and seem to know what they're doing, plus they said they could possibly get my car in and out in a day. Whadda ya think?

I'm hoping I don't have driveshaft vibration at high speeds, this seemed to be a problem with some cars after a gear install. I went ahead and got a quote for balancing the driveshaft if necessary, too bad I don't have enough dough to go ahead and get an aluminum.

I'm probably getting the gears middle of next week, I'm going to go ahead and wait until the following week for installation so the set can have adequate time to be broken-in.

So what about that labor price, and what should I do about the speedo?
I'd take the gears to TNC for the install and you will have plenty of break-in driving up here. Someone makes a little speed cal thing for mustangs, and if you have a tunerr you can correct the gear ratio. I'll see you bitches in Memphis and bring your stripper money...

OrgasmicSVT

Established Member
2000_LS1 said:
If I'm up and running I will go...if ya'll don't mind an LS1 following..maybe leading, lol j/k, I have to take it easy for a little while too...all new parts going in now, almost all anyway. I'll let ya know as it gets closer if you don't mind, I'm always game for some cruising/racing, even if I don't participate.

AzianStang...get someone off the board to help you with it...you'll get more satisfaction that way, knowing you did it yourself, and save some $$$$. Just $0.02...if you need help that bad I can come up one day next week...I live in Rison or you can come down here to my shop, doesn't matter to me.

My cell # is 870-413-9304 leave a message if no answer. I work for the railroad and have a screwed up schedule.
Do you know William Boyd? He use to have a silver tt supra.

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Hey Evan go to the LittlerockRacingScene.com for the web site to TNC.....I dont know anything about them......Hey LS1 if you can lead a turbo lightning or a KB lightning then you are the man.......j/k dude you are more than welcome bring as many people as you can.....

2000_LS1

Banned
LightningMedic said:
Hey Evan go to the LittlerockRacingScene.com for the web site to TNC.....I dont know anything about them......Hey LS1 if you can lead a turbo lightning or a KB lightning then you are the man.......j/k dude you are more than welcome bring as many people as you can.....

I will do...and leadign a turbo Lightning or a KB is no prob...for a little cash...I may have a few other LS1's join me...don't want to be the only one that makes it there without breaking down...lol j/k.

And Evan, www.TNCPerformance.com is the website. I don't have the phone # handy right now but I'll post it up tonight. Talk to Jeff or Chris (I think it's Chris) and they will help you out. They are great guys. You get to their shop by coming out of Little Rock, take the Dixon rd. exit off of 530, take a left at the Stop Sign, go past the Exxon Station for about 1/2 mile, maybe a mile...take a right at the church (you'll see it) and they are there on right maybe 1/2 mile down...it's been about a year since I was there so it may be off a little, just how I remembered it anyway.

TTYL

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
I have seen one of the cars that TNC worked on It was a black LS1 camaro.....It sounded good....Im not real sure what time we are meet ing for the 24th but i will find out.....I think @ 600...

Users who are viewing this thread