Modded '11+ GT vs C5-Z

SCalla1384

Established Member
Hmm, my experience has been quite the opposite. Never saw the huge deal with the "touch of god" LS motors. They make decent power and are simple to work on and fix. Lots of parts available but I still don't get the fascination :shrug:

Oh well, long live government motors, brah

ROFLcopter!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Hmm, my experience has been quite the opposite. Never saw the huge deal with the "touch of god" LS motors. They make decent power and are simple to work on and fix. Lots of parts available but I still don't get the fascination :shrug:

:shrug: i guess that you have never taken a ride on an ls7

ccd_1606

Established Member

Own an ls and maybe you would see the hype. They respond to mods very well and parts a mass produced and readily available and better priced then ford performance parts. Like I said the coyote is nice for a 2011 engine but the ls1 has been making coyote power for 10 years.

ccd_1606

Established Member
Keep trying to convince yourself you had a car that was like a vette. In all reality, you had a hideous Sebring look alike.

Lmfao it's nothing like a vette I said power to weight and power plants. Can you people not wrap your head around the concept?

And that Sebring look alike would kill most the 30,000$ mustangs.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
A car is HUGELY DEPENDENT ON ITS OWNER. You guys have no idea how important driver mod is and ALSO driver knowledge/smarts. Although 5.0's are great cars, the c5z06 is ahead of it in the speed game. Im sure OP could surprise some c5z owners but run into the wrong c5z/owner and he will send even the most competent of 5.0 drivers with his tail between bis legs.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i also did some quick math and a c5 z006 has about 7.6 lbs per hp and a gt has around 8.4lbs per hp. by the way i calculated the gt with 425bhp and the z06 with 405. considering the gt to be as aerodynamic as a school bus i dont see how it can beat a c5 z06 by car lengths unless it has a lot more than 425 bhp.

cababah

Established Member
Own an ls and maybe you would see the hype. They respond to mods very well and parts a mass produced and readily available and better priced then ford performance parts. Like I said the coyote is nice for a 2011 engine but the ls1 has been making coyote power for 10 years.

Never owned a LS. driven, ridden in, and raced against them though. Still was not that impressed. Most of my experience has been in an LS3 via C6 base vette i got to drive for a weekend and 2010 Camaro SS (with full bolt ons that by buddy owns).

ccd_1606

Established Member
i also did some quick math and a c5 z006 has about 7.6 lbs per hp and a gt has around 8.4lbs per hp. by the way i calculated the gt with 425bhp and the z06 with 405. considering the gt to be as aerodynamic as a school bus i dont see how it can beat a c5 z06 by car lengths unless it has a lot more than 425 bhp.

Exactly. But don't bring up power to weight or aerodynamics I don't think this crowd knows about that. They just see that the mustang owns all and nothing can beat it.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I'm sorry your to incompetent to understand that a 98 camaro comes with an ls1 and weights 3600 pounds. A c5z06 weights 3100 pounds and comes with a ls6 which is a ls1 block with updates and obviously better heads. My car had mods to increase the power a little over what a c5 z06 has and the weight reduction made it weight the same as a z06. So basically I had a camaro with the same specs as a c5z06 but a little more power.

I no longer own the camaro it is long gone and nothing to brag about. Your just not wanting to see my point of view. They are different platforms I understand but had similar power to weight ratios. And same cubic in power plants. I'm just going to drop it. But you should study up on vehicles before you make comments. I can't take someone serious who doesn't know that a turbo 350 is a
transmissiom

I thought you said it was turbo'd i didnt read turbo 350. I know a lot about the chevy platform since the lt1 and above. But with everything you said you finally said it yourself " different platform."

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Ah, yes because an LS7 encompasses ALL "LS" motors. Oh and the Ford GT's 5.4L mod V8 is the staple Ford "mod" motor :rollseyes

no but the ls3 is also am impressive power plant. by the way i am more impressed by an ls7 than by the 5.4 of a ford gt. also this is my opinion and im sure that alot of people wont agree. i just think that the best power adder is good old atmospheric pressure.

ccd_1606

Established Member
Never owned a LS. driven, ridden in, and raced against them though. Still was not that impressed. Most of my experience has been in an LS3 via C6 base vette i got to drive for a weekend and 2010 Camaro SS (with full bolt ons that by buddy owns).

Did you not like the c6? My buddy had one with full bolt ons and tune and it was impressive. I think he also had a fast 102 intake which helped a lot on that car.

ccd_1606

Established Member
I thought you said it was turbo'd i didnt read turbo 350. I know a lot about the chevy platform since the lt1 and above. But with everything you said you finally said it yourself " different platform."

Yes I wasn't saying it was a vette I know it isn't trust me. I was just saying the power to weight was similar and being that they have very similar engines it was a decent comparison.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
my girlfriends mom has a 2006 c6 auto and its 100% stock and it is very impressive. i have never raced it against my car when my car was stock but i dont think that i was going to be able to keep up.

Poppacapp

Established Member
GM power will walk on alot of coyotes all day. I had a 98 camaro that was gutted out with a stalled turbo 350 it had hand ported factory heads, hot cam full bolt ons and I beat the shit out of a 13 gt with bolt ons an a 100 shot. You can't really compare the 2 because mine didn't have a/c but it was still street legal. My best 1/8 mile pass was a 6.98 on a 100 shot. I'm not bad mouthing the coyotes because I obviously own one but LS power is hard to beat.

6.98 was the best you could do with a full bolt on H/C/I 100 shot LS? You go boy

cababah

Established Member
Did you not like the c6? My buddy had one with full bolt ons and tune and it was impressive. I think he also had a fast 102 intake which helped a lot on that car.

I liked some things about it. It was mostly stock except for NPP exhaust (which sounded amazing btw) and maybe an intake. It was fast, don't get wrong but I was expecting it to pull a little better than it did. Might have been those long gears that diminished that. I can acknowledge it is a good engine but some GM fanboys praise it like some unbeatable engine platform that god himself helped design.

ccd_1606

Established Member
6.98 was the best you could do with a full bolt on H/C/I 100 shot LS? You go boy

Hand ported factory 98 heads which aren't shit a baby hot cam . 100 shot but couldn't spray out of the hole. I ran a 7.11 on just motor. Never could get the nitrous to hit right. Also just to add I got rid of the car before I figured out the nitrous bug. Got tired of it and moved on to something new.

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
Exactly I love gm but I really love my mustang they are two different animals. I was just trying to give a comparison and got jumped on because of it.

These new 5.0's are impressive but people have to give credit where it is due. Ls1 was the raining champ for a long time.

It's a back and forth thing with Chevy and Ford... 1986-1992 Ford ruled, 1993-2002 Chevy Ruled, 2003- Ford Ruled/s. The new Camaro's are pathetic and should even be considering the same league now.. lots of changes needed on those turds.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
While were still off subject: I've owned 2 LS2 powered cars- 05 GTO and C6 corvette. The Coyote just feels like a much better engine-Pulls harder to redline, makes better sounds. If the my Corvette had the 5.0 Coyote in it, I would have probably kept it. And the LS1(yeah great back in the day), there is no comparison to the 5.0.

ccd_1606

Established Member
It's a back and forth thing with Chevy and Ford... 1986-1992 Ford ruled, 1993-2002 Chevy Ruled, 2003- Ford Ruled/s. The new Camaro's are pathetic and should even be considering the same league now.. lots of changes needed on those turds.

There is no arguing that the new Camaro needs some help. Idk how they put an ls3 in that thing and it runs how it does. Something doesn't seem right.

Users who are viewing this thread