Modification (aftermarket) Development?

speedrx

Established Member
Add performance mods is fine but with all that power, you better start looking for mods that add TRACTION! :burnout:

91svtbird

Established Member
yea, with all this HP, sticky tires and a C&R heat exchanger from van should be #1 and #2!

Sticky tires yes but it already comes with a new upgraded heat ex-changer so I will wait and see just how improved it is. The improvements Ford made look to be substantial.

I will change the IC reservoir tank out to the 3qt matching plastic tank (matches the existing Rad tank).

The 13' improvements are:

(1) larger cooling fan,

(2) fan shroud with high-speed pressure-relief doors,

(3) a more efficient charge air cooler, (4" taller)

(4) a higher-flow intercooler pump , 7gpm up from the 3gpm previous pump

(5)an intercooler heat exchanger with a 36 percent increase in volume.

the larger 3-row intercooler, up from a 2-row.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
definitely some huge improvements in cooling, but that heat exchanger will still heat soak without fans, right? maybe we just need someone to release a fan kit for it(if possible) instead of replacing the entire heat exchanger.

91svtbird

Established Member
definitely some huge improvements in cooling, but that heat exchanger will still heat soak without fans, right? maybe we just need someone to release a fan kit for it(if possible) instead of replacing the entire heat exchanger.

Maybe not with the way Ford designed the grille inlet to catch and draw air into and through the IC as well as the radiator above it. Ford's testing on IC design showed that a taller IC is more effective in heat transfer than a shorter thicker design thus the added 4" height. It is most likely also benefiting from the larger engine fan because of this so it probably doesn't need it's own fans.

At least I hope so....

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
good points, i hope your right!
i think it's pretty safe to say that the '13 won't have the crazy heat soak issues that the ZL1 is showing, GM really ****ed that one up!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
So we assume most things will fit from the 2012?

Will need a pulley for the TVS and a tune from someone like hopefully Mr Lund

91svtbird

Established Member
So we assume most things will fit from the 2012?

Will need a pulley for the TVS and a tune from someone like hopefully Mr Lund

The TVS on the 13' already comes with a 2.7 pulley on it (older 500's had a larger 2.95). I believe that is the smallest pulley you can put on it also judging from the way it fits (tight tolerances).

As far as the computer tuning parameters being accessible don't count on it for a while ......I would look to Ford Racing possibly coming out with some kind of a "performance upgrade kit" or something like that.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i would imagine that the TVS is beginning to run out of steam much past the factory 15PSI as well. i bet the standard CAI/tune/cat-back combo on this car will unleash a mountain of power that will please most of the guys that would otherwise go with a smaller pulley. the blower swap/turbo guys on the other hand, i don't see much changing with them:burnout:

acrbill

Established Member
I am thinking that swapping out the factory cast manifolds for some large primary long tubes should make for a very nice bump in HP.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I am thinking that swapping out the factory cast manifolds for some large primary long tubes should make for a very nice bump in HP.

I'm considering buying a 13gt500 rather than a 13 GT later this year or early next year, if so I'm sure Ill leave it stock(power wise) for at least a year, I would want to enjoy the warranty. But I would probably be changing the mufflers, deff getting some tint and DR's on the factory wheels. Other than that I would just want to sit back and enjoy it. But once I'm ready to mod it I think full exhaust, intake, TB, tune, and E85 would make for a pretty nasty set up.

Does anyone know if they are using better internals for the new 5.8L? Would love to see some forged H-beams from the factory.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Does anyone know if they are using better internals for the new 5.8L? Would love to see some forged H-beams from the factory.
basically the same as we've had since the '07 GT500, with upsized pistons to match the new bore of course. the rods have been slightly change, but are basically be the same powdered metal rods as before.

Users who are viewing this thread