Mods planned for '97

Fullserve

Established Member
I have the following plans for mods to be done at a reputable shop in San Diego to my '97 Coupe with 84K miles.

Any opinions or suggestions on both the mods and the prices quoted would be appreciated:

FRPP 3.73 gears - total install with 23-tooth speedo gear $625
Magnaflow stainless cat-back (considering Magnapacks) $460 parts, $140 install
Maximum Motorsports sub-frame $120 parts, $120 labor
King Cobra clutch (have a bad throwout bearing)- $645 total
K&N cold air intake - $164 (I'll install myself)

What would you do after this to gain (n/a) power - pulleys, catted H or X pipe?:

Thanks,
Fullserve

myblk32v

Established Member
What made u decide on the 3.73's.........Oh wait i dont wanna start another gear debate. LOL forget that question. The next thing i would do is pullies and a good H pipe to go along with the FLows.

Fullserve

Established Member
Yeah, yeah. I know all of the debate about the gears. I'm still not sold and may go 4.10s, but I'll have to see how I feel when I take the car in.

Why an H-pipe and not X? Are X-pipes better for S/C applications and H better for N/A?

Thanks again.

Cobro

Banned
I had my gears done at Performance Motorsports in Ontario

I brought my gears and speedometer gear to the shop
3,73's $170.00 speedo $12.00
Labor to install $325,,,,THIS IS THE MOST YOU SHOULD PAY FOR LABOR. Now I wish I would have gone with min. 4.10's or 4.30's

Xtreme Mustang Performance in Aliso Viejo did my Clutch

FRPP M-7550-A302 King Cobra kit 199.99
Ford Pilot bearing 16.99
Turn Flywheel 50.00
Labor for Clutch install 300.00

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
In addition to your list I would add:

- UD pullies
- Aluminum flywheel (while you are replacing the clutch-go with and 11")
- Chip
- O/R X

I had these mods on my '97 Snake and they were perfect. As for gears, go with 3.73s or 4.10s if this is a daily driver; anything more will render the 3.36 first gear useless. IMO

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by §ilver§nake
As for gears, go with 3.73s or 4.10s if this is a daily driver; anything more will render the 3.36 first gear useless. IMO

First gear is not useless in my car with 4.30's. Of course if I hammer the pedal it will spin pretty easily, but that is just stupid, so I just feather it out if I need to. It redlines at about 35-40 or so mph in first.

Cobro

Banned
Originally posted by Fullserve
I have the following plans for mods to be done at a reputable shop in San Diego to my '97 Coupe with 84K miles.

Any opinions or suggestions on both the mods and the prices quoted would be appreciated:

FRPP 3.73 gears - total install with 23-tooth speedo gear $Fullserve

For 3.73 gears you need 21 tooth speedo gear

23 tooth are for 4.10 gears!!!!!!!Trust Me

myblk32v

Established Member
Originally posted by Fullserve
Why an H-pipe and not X? Are X-pipes better for S/C applications and H better for N/A?

Thanks again.

The reason i say H pipe is becuase i personally have noticed that flows sound alot better with an H-Pipe than an X. JMO. X pipe for strait through mufflers and H pipe for chambered.:)

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I would suggest 4.10's if it is a daily driver and 4.30's if it is not. Id also recommend a Spec Stage II clutch over the King Cobra. Is the $600 instal include the price of the gears? If so then its not a bad deal, considering the gears and speedo prolly cost about $200, so a $400 install correct?

03DOHC

Established Member
I have a 31 spline FRPP truck trac-lok with FRPP 4.30's mounted on it. Gears have about 500 miles on them. Of course you'll need 31 spline axles too. I'll sell the gears and carrier for $240. I live in San Francisco, so however much the shipping is.:shrug:

myblk32v

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I have a 31 spline FRPP truck trac-lok with FRPP 4.30's mounted on it. Gears have about 500 miles on them. Of course you'll need 31 spline axles too. I'll sell the gears and carrier for $240. I live in San Francisco, so however much the shipping is.:shrug:

Dude where did u get that AVATAR, thats mine over on SWS and stangnet. LOL

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Who is doing the gear install? I had PRO-GEAR do my rear-end install when I was stationed out there. I have had no problems with the diff. and gears in three years. JBA is very good too, but they are always busy and sometimes overpriced IMO. Go with the 4.10's....trust me. Also get the SPEC stage 2 clutch over the king cobra unit. Although I had no problems w/ my king cobra clutch, I simply love my SPEC stage 3.

Fullserve

Established Member
Originally posted by venomous
Who is doing the gear install? I had PRO-GEAR do my rear-end install when I was stationed out there. I have had no problems with the diff. and gears in three years. JBA is very good too, but they are always busy and sometimes overpriced IMO. Go with the 4.10's....trust me. Also get the SPEC stage 2 clutch over the king cobra unit. Although I had no problems w/ my king cobra clutch, I simply love my SPEC stage 3.

First of all, thanks to all for the advice.

JBA is doing it. I'm very happy with their customer service (compared to Manning Motorsports in San Marcos!) I'm paying basically full price for all of the parts, but I think the labor charges are reasonable, considering that they come highly recommended.

I got the written estimate today: It's going to be $320 for the labor on the gears, $230 for gears, speedo gear and lubes, so it's actually about $550 in the end. Seems very fair. They are trying very hard to talk me into 3.73s. I still have time to change my mind, but I have to admit that they are getting to me. Living in SD with the constant traffic they way it is 4.10s just might not make sense. JBA says that first gear is very hard to keep from jerking around in bad traffic. Pretty much everyone in the shop agrees...but I'm still tempted...

Magnaflow catback is $450 + $120 labor. Subframe $100 + $120 labor. FIPK is $164. I'm going to live with the throwout bearing for now as the clutch seems to be fine for now. Considering adding underdrive pullys $179 + $120 labor and throttle body $300 + $80 labor. Hoping to have a n/a with 300 at the wheels, but I'm probably being optimistic.

Fullserve

Wicked4.6DOHC

Rattle Snake
Established Member
4.30s daily 4.56 if not
also sticky tires of some sort

next alum fly wheel and NO king cobra but spec II

then h pipe and cat back

last pullys, and for a intake try WMSracing.com their stuff is mint

97whitesvt

Established Member
go with the 4.10 i dont hjave any problem with mine and i am in traffic like crazy out here. everyone who goes with 3.73 ends up regreting it.

Users who are viewing this thread