Mods planned for '97

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Manning screwed up my buddies clutch in his blue 351 pwrd 89 lx . He was not happy when they told him "it's alright" then his clutch went out shortly thereafter. I ended up doing it for him...no problems yet. You may see him around...he lives near Camp Pen. car is sick fast. Works satellite imagery. Good luck....get the 4.10's and spec clutch. just my .02

Fullserve

Established Member
Originally posted by venomous
Manning screwed up my buddies clutch in his blue 351 pwrd 89 lx . He was not happy when they told him "it's alright" then his clutch went out shortly thereafter. I ended up doing it for him...no problems yet. You may see him around...he lives near Camp Pen. car is sick fast. Works satellite imagery. Good luck....get the 4.10's and spec clutch. just my .02

Thanks again for the advice. I called up JBA and had them put in the 4.10s, thanks to all the encouragement. Sorry to all of the 4.30 guys, but you still influenced me in the right direction! I can't wait to get my car back with all of this work done.

Now my next step is new tires. I certainly want pretty sticky tires, although I want to avoid as much road noise as possible as well. I'm considering Yoko AVS ES100's because of my good experience with them on my 328i (sold for the Cobra!), but this is a very different car. I could toss my 328 through the turns with the Yoko's and was VERY impressed with their stick and stability. How are the Nitto 555s (not the drag radials) in terms of noise and wear? I'm sure they perform very well, but since I drive on the freeway so much I don't want to hear them singing all day long.

Venemous, I'll be sure to look out for him. Don't mind getting spanked by other Snakes, but an '89 lx? Ouch. I guess it would be fun to see just how fast he is...

Thanks,
Fullserve

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Don't know if you can still get them, but I really liked my Yoko A520's on the front of my car. Worked great on the curvy back roads up towards Palomar Mtn and off the 76 up north, but were a tad noisier than my bfg's. I drove all over up there w/ my rio red 94' . I run Nitto nt555 R2 (road race) tires on the back now and love them. I've heard good and bad from the 555's, but have heard really good things fron the Kuhmo ecsta MX tire....worth looking into. My buddies lx is faaasst....it really surprised me. steep gears+good tune+built351=quick.

Fullserve

Established Member
Originally posted by venomous
Who is doing the gear install? I had PRO-GEAR do my rear-end install when I was stationed out there. I have had no problems with the diff. and gears in three years. JBA is very good too, but they are always busy and sometimes overpriced IMO. Go with the 4.10's....trust me. Also get the SPEC stage 2 clutch over the king cobra unit. Although I had no problems w/ my king cobra clutch, I simply love my SPEC stage 3.

Well I picked up the car today. I am extremely happy that I went with the 4.10s. :beer: They are very drivable on the street and highway and the power is RIGHT THERE when I need it. Too bad I have to wait for a few hundred miles to pound on it. :nono:

The Magnaflows are a huge improvement over the stupid dumps and the subframe makes a big difference.

The only thing left is the CAI. I decided to hold off on the K&N FIPK until I do more research. It seems that Densecharger and WMS are the leading CAIs for the 96-98's. Anyone have problems running too rich without changing or recalibrating the MAF?

Fullserve

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
this is from experience:

tires
spray
(and gears, if you wan to)

that is ALL you need. Don't worry with this pullies/TA poop. tires, and spray.

as far as pipes. I would get o/r hpipes. It evens out the powerband whereas an xpipe peaks it. You want more under the curve.

get some Nittos, or ET Streets, and a 125 shot. You'll be pretty friggen quick.

Forget about the king cobra clutch. Get a good Spec or Ram (puck disk) Forget about the CAI - just get a KN filter and stick it in the airbox...your lying to yourself if you think it "feels" faster. Get some new plugs, and be ready to start replacing stuff on the driveline. It will be breaking soon, but you will be beating just about everyone.

gears, tires, spray. in that order. Really, just tires and spray, but gears are nice too. With tires and spray, you'll be able to stay in your power band longer. You can pick up a used nitrous kit for like 250$ and some tires for a bout 300$.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
guess I should have read the whole post.

You got ripped on the gears. I paid 190 for the gears, and 100$ for the install....

anyway...get tires next, then spray and an el cheapo o/r hpipe. You'll be set for a while.

few hundred miles?? dude....more like 20...lol! drive, get the gear oil warm, shut it off, change the fluid and your set!

I got it sideways pulling out of the shop and stomped on it and haven't had a single prob with it over the last few months.

Last edited:

Fullserve

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
guess I should have read the whole post.

You got ripped on the gears. I paid 190 for the gears, and 100$ for the install....

anyway...get tires next, then spray and an el cheapo o/r hpipe. You'll be set for a while.

few hundred miles?? dude....more like 20...lol! drive, get the gear oil warm, shut it off, change the fluid and your set!

I got it sideways pulling out of the shop and stomped on it and haven't had a single prob with it over the last few months.

Insteresting thoughts, Doug. The gears are not a ripoff in Southern CA, unfortunately. Just a cost of living here...

Not sure about the sauce. For pure speed and cost per HP there's no doubt that you're right. I'm just totally ignorant as to how to use N20, so I've haven't even considered it. I sort of like my power to be "always on" as I like cruising the canyons as much as the strip. That's why I have the subs and the springs.

I am considering Nittos for better grip. Just don't have the $$ to replace them every 10K miles...

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Fullserve
Well I picked up the car today. I am extremely happy that I went with the 4.10s. :beer: They are very drivable on the street and highway and the power is RIGHT THERE when I need it.....
Not that there's anything wrong with your choice but the same goes for the 4.30's.:) Glad you didn't go with the 3.73's.:beer: Don't fear the gear. :burnout:

Fullserve

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Not that there's anything wrong with your choice but the same goes for the 4.30's.:) Glad you didn't go with the 3.73's.:beer: Don't fear the gear. :burnout:

I think my choice will be a good one in the end. I'm sure the 4.30s have that more punch, but remember that you have the .62 6th (I think?) gear where I only have a .68 5th. 3K on the freeway at 80 seems about right for me. Any more and I'd be a bit stressed. Despite Doug's comments, I think I'll break in the gears for a couple hundred miles as recommended by JBA.

How necessary is it to change the gear oil after break-in? JBA seemed to think it was a bit of overkill. :shrug:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Fullserve
I think my choice will be a good one in the end. I'm sure the 4.30s have that more punch, but remember that you have the .62 6th (I think?) gear where I only have a .68 5th. 3K on the freeway at 80 seems about right for me. Any more and I'd be a bit stressed. Despite Doug's comments, I think I'll break in the gears for a couple hundred miles as recommended by JBA.

How necessary is it to change the gear oil after break-in? JBA seemed to think it was a bit of overkill. :shrug:
I used to have a 97 Cobra w/4.30's that was my daily driver. I'm sure you'll have fun with your car. I bet she pulls real nice now compared to the 3.27's.:)

Users who are viewing this thread