Monster Surge Protectors....

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
just dont buy monster stuff its nothing but overpriced stuff that looks fancy. It does nothing picture wise or anything. I work with TV's everyday and everything I have seen from the company is nothing special.

vjay88

Too little to late
Established Member
do you have a link to that? sounds interesting!

LOL @ $230 cables! wow!

I also would like to see this article. The only thing I could even think of something like that working is in speaker wire which I buy the cheapest stuff I can find only thing that matters in that is the awg. Bigger is always better lol. As far as HDMI cables I guarantee you will see a difference. Especially when you start dealing with better televisions the right cables make all the difference. If your lcd or plasma only has 720p or 1080i then dont bother with expensive cables because they wont do didly squat because your tv is too cheap. Never compare 1080i to 1080p as I have seen more people get confused between the two than anything else. $230 cables matter-would never pay that though. The simple fact is before when there was no high def expensive cables made no matter but when your trying to see every wrinkle on Harrison fords face in the new Indiana Jones it will be just that much better.

Lightningfr

Banned
http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables

he is the one for audio cables

ill find the one for video cables when i get some more free time at work

1080i and 1080p have alot of similarities both are the same resolution what makes you think a special cable is going to mak the difference on a digital signal? its not.... unless there is like 30db of attenuation witch would be like having a broken wire its impossible

i have cheap dvi cables for my computer i built it displays 2600* 1900 on my friends 26" monitor if i had a fancy cable it will make it better :lol: explain that please

Last edited:

Lightningfr

Banned
All I know is I could generate noise when I had my APC surge protector that would make it to my stereo speakers, with he Monster I cannot. I say get a decent one.

thats because you had a busted shield on the wire you where using or a lose ground inside the unit

its just a 60hz hum from your ac

vjay88

Too little to late
Established Member
http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables

he is the one for audio cables

ill find the one for video cables when i get some more free time at work

1080i and 1080p have alot of similarities both are the same resolution what makes you think a special cable is going to mak the difference on a digital signal? its not.... unless there is like 30db of attenuation witch would be like having a broken wire its impossible

i have cheap dvi cables for my computer i built it displays 2600* 1900 on my friends 26" monitor if i had a fancy cable it will make it better :lol: explain that please

No right there you even comparing 1080i to 1080p shows your incompetence in home theater. Having 1080 lines of resolution progressively scanned onto the screen creates picture quality up to 6 times better than 1080i or 720p. As far as audio goes as i already said cheapest wire you can find use it. But when you have to use a cable transferring audio and video, I'm not gonna argue, everyone needs to create their own opinion and see for themselves. No It probably wouldn't make a difference on your friends 26" monitor because unless he just recently bought the monitor It cant even really support that many lines of resolution(It says it can but it cant). So how would a better cable help that? Not to mention I have never mentioned DVI because that technology became obsolete over a year ago in home theater and no components being made even have it now. Some tvs do but that is just to help people who bought into a subpar technology happy. Its great for computers though because unless your watching high definition video on your computer you cant notice a difference. Computers with monitors is whole different monster. Tons of lines of resolution doesn't mean always better picture. Thats how I explain that :lol:

I have been very explicit on what you need to invest money on for a home theater but to be exact: Good surge protector with Power filtration, Good HDMI cables, good Digital audio cables(Optical or digital coax, you can go cheaper with digital coax), Really with today's technology though all you need is three boxes. A good A/V receiver, an upconverting dvd/blu ray/HD-dvd player, and a good power unit to protect your thousands of dollars. Anything else is up to you, gaming platforms (360 is kicking PS3s arse) and Your HD-DVR boxes. Best Hd dvr comes from Dish network but most programming comes from Direct tv. Forget about cable for HD they take to long to update and add channels too slowly. Rant Off

Lightningfr

Banned
ya i really dont feel like proving you wrong

picture quality is not resolution. is the makeup of contrast ratio+ color ect.. with give you a better picture progressive can handle alot more info then interlaced resolution is irrelevant to an extent
just a waste of bandwith

dvi and hdmi are very close hdmi is the standard now because you only need 1 cable to carry audio with video vs running 2 cables with dvi

and the monitor support 2600 line alot more then 1900 by 1080P looks better then our sony xbr smart guy

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I would not run a $10 power surge on high end equipment, so I would not use just 'any' power surge.

I run Panamax on my home theater gear.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Well I did a lot of research and ended up getting the HTS 2600 MKII. I didn't get it because it "cleans up the noise" I got it for the surge protecting ability. You you can see from this thread that a lot of people are either for it or say go with something cheaper. For me it came down to a piece of mind, here in Fl there are a lot of lighting storms. So for that reason I went with the one I did.....

vjay88

Too little to late
Established Member
ya i really dont feel like proving you wrong

picture quality is not resolution. is the makeup of contrast ratio+ color ect.. with give you a better picture progressive can handle alot more info then interlaced resolution is irrelevant to an extent
just a waste of bandwith

dvi and hdmi are very close hdmi is the standard now because you only need 1 cable to carry audio with video vs running 2 cables with dvi

and the monitor support 2600 line alot more then 1900 by 1080P looks better then our sony xbr smart guy

Contrast ratio doesn't even affect picture quality if you have a 500:1 ratio to a 10,000:1 ratio there is now way any human eye could tell the difference. Thats basic home theater knowledge. Progressive scan technology is not a waste of bandwith and no its not irrelevant. I can't believe someone who shows like he knows a lot would even say something like that.:poke:

No HDMI is superior to dvi because it can handle audio and can handle more information. Thats why its better to have a better cable because it isn't just copper wire.

Oh and this smart guy will also tell you try getting a better source to your xbr. Of course its going to look worse when watching a dvd on your tv compared to your computer unless oh I don't know your watching a true 1080p source and yes p. Also I don't know how old your tv is but a lot don't support 1080p not to mention size makes a difference the smaller the screen the less resolution you need to make videos look good. I bet the videos on my iphone look better than the image on your xbr. Oh and I hope the clouds don't come out on your xbr. If you dont know what I'm talking about then you really didn't research your tv.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
^^^you're correct about contrast ratio.

Well I did a lot of research and ended up getting the HTS 2600 MKII. I didn't get it because it "cleans up the noise" I got it for the surge protecting ability. You you can see from this thread that a lot of people are either for it or say go with something cheaper. For me it came down to a piece of mind, here in Fl there are a lot of lighting storms. So for that reason I went with the one I did.....

yet another victim of marketing. oh well, you can't save 'em all i guess.

Last edited:

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
That's how companies like Monster and Bose make a living. I mean, if you're paying $250 for a surge protector it MUST be better than the competition, right....RIGHT?

Honestly guys, think about it. Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it does the job better. It's all a marketing ploy. Don't believe me if you don't want to.

And to the guy bragging that he only paid $60 for HDMI cables, I laugh in your face.

All HDMI cables are required to support, at minimum, a standard HDTV video signal (i.e. 720p or 1080i) by virtue of being tested to verify that they meet the HDMI spec requirements. This is referred to as a Category 1 test. More recently, the HDMI Authorized Testing Centers (ATCs) have added equipment to be able to test the cable’s ability to support 1080p (which is 2x the 720p/1080i video rates) and higher rates up to the maximum HDMI speeds. These higher speeds are called Category 2. Since 1080p and deep color are becoming more common market requirements, we are seeing cable manufacturers wanting to have their cables verified with this Category 2 high speed test instead of the Category 1 test so that they can market their cables as being 1080p verified. Simplay Labs is another HDMI testing service that has been performing this high speed cable test for over a year, and some cable makers are putting the Simplay HD logo on their HDMI cables as a way to convey this level of quality.

When purchasing HDMI cables, all you need to verify is that they are either Category 1 or 2 certified. Any other marketing schemes are pure bull. Bluejeanscable.com is one of the best, and most inexpensive sources on the web to buy cables. Folks, HDMI is a digital signal, either it works, or it doesn't.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
I am not saying that I disagree with what you are saying. But after all the research I have done, I have found just as many people that say these things work better, as the other people say they are a scam. With all the threads I have seen I have yet to see any proof. I have owned the $10-$30 surge's down here in FL and I have had a couple let me down. This is the first time I have ever bought one of these, so I guess I will find out how well it works.

hunterp

Established Member
I am not saying that I disagree with what you are saying. But after all the research I have done, I have found just as many people that say these things work better, as the other people say they are a scam. With all the threads I have seen I have yet to see any proof. I have owned the $10-$30 surge's down here in FL and I have had a couple let me down. This is the first time I have ever bought one of these, so I guess I will find out how well it works.

While I wouldn't necessarily buy a $10 protector, I wouldn't have bought the Monster one either. When I want something that works every single time, I go with APC. After working in data centers for years, APC held up long after other power systems bit the dust. They have a whole section of power protection for theatre systems. It would be well worth checking out the next time you're in the market.

vjay88

Too little to late
Established Member
That's how companies like Monster and Bose make a living. I mean, if you're paying $250 for a surge protector it MUST be better than the competition, right....RIGHT?

Honestly guys, think about it. Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it does the job better. It's all a marketing ploy. Don't believe me if you don't want to.

And to the guy bragging that he only paid $60 for HDMI cables, I laugh in your face.

All HDMI cables are required to support, at minimum, a standard HDTV video signal (i.e. 720p or 1080i) by virtue of being tested to verify that they meet the HDMI spec requirements. This is referred to as a Category 1 test. More recently, the HDMI Authorized Testing Centers (ATCs) have added equipment to be able to test the cable’s ability to support 1080p (which is 2x the 720p/1080i video rates) and higher rates up to the maximum HDMI speeds. These higher speeds are called Category 2. Since 1080p and deep color are becoming more common market requirements, we are seeing cable manufacturers wanting to have their cables verified with this Category 2 high speed test instead of the Category 1 test so that they can market their cables as being 1080p verified. Simplay Labs is another HDMI testing service that has been performing this high speed cable test for over a year, and some cable makers are putting the Simplay HD logo on their HDMI cables as a way to convey this level of quality.

When purchasing HDMI cables, all you need to verify is that they are either Category 1 or 2 certified. Any other marketing schemes are pure bull. Bluejeanscable.com is one of the best, and most inexpensive sources on the web to buy cables. Folks, HDMI is a digital signal, either it works, or it doesn't.

Funny to see another person who is too cheap to purchase better quality products. And in order for them to sleep at night they just go on and on how this is a ripoff or how this is way overpriced. It is all just so annoying. Its like saying you know what I like the Chinese ebay intake and screw edelbrock. HA HA LOL LOL:shrug::bash::xpl:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member

It's a good unit, the question is did you get a good price. Yes they are overpriced at retail and somewhat overpriced at a discounter. Are they better than a $10 unit, Hell yes. I paid $130 for that unit and I am happy with it. I also overpaid for my Goodyears, but I like them and feel the quality is better, and for my Oppo DVD player and I feel the quality is better and my Panasonic Plasma and I feel the quality is better and my Nikon Camera and I feel the quality is better and my Jockey underwear and I feel the quality is better and my Energizer of Duracell batteries and I feel the quality is better and on and on and on. Go ahead and buy cheap crap if you want and see how many times your getting a new one. Oh, the GT500 is overpriced still, but some feel is worth it and MSRP and I think Billetflow is a bit more expensive for pullies, but that's what I'd buy if I ordered some.

Last edited:

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
Panamax user since 1992. To the OP, I'm sure your purchase will be fine, but Monster has a bad rap. "All sizzle and no steak" FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread