Monster truck kills over 8

o2k

Noob
Established Member
I know what I'm not doing in Mexico.

[youtube_browser]jpYjMJlssCo[/youtube_browser]

CHIHUAHUA, Mexico (AP) — An out-of-control monster truck shot into a crowd of spectators at a Mexican air show, killing eight people and hurting 79, officials said. The driver was detained Sunday on suspicion of manslaughter and officials said they were investigating possible safety violations in the setup of the show.

Carlos Gonzalez, spokesman for the Chihuahua state prosecutors' office, said driver Francisco Velazquez appeared to lose control of the truck after leaping over cars it was crushing during a demonstration at the "Extreme Aeroshow" on Saturday.

Video taken from the stands by spectator Krizthall Martinez and provided to The Associated Press shows the truck making an initial pass over two cars. It then makes a second pass at higher speed, coming down sharply nose first and bouncing violently before piling straight into the crowd, which stood directly in the path of the monster truck unprotected by any wall or barrier.

The three-day show, which included performances by airplanes, the monster truck acts and other events, was canceled after the accident on its second day in a park on the outskirts of Chihuahua, the capital of Chihuahua state.

On Sunday, two armed men threw a firebomb at monster trucks and other vehicles parked at a hotel that were part of an unrelated monster truck production at the air show.

Chihuahua Gov. Cesar Duarte Juarez said his administration, which was listed as a sponsor of the air show, was investigating whether Civil Protection authorities had correctly enforced safety regulations. He and other officials didn't say if those regulations required any protective barrier for spectators.

Some witnesses said the driver appeared to have hit his head on the interior of the truck, which is nicknamed "Big Show," as he drove over the old cars. At least two reporting seeing the driver's helmet come off before the huge vehicle drove into the crowd of terrified spectators, who tried to flee.

"I fell over, and when I turned around I saw the tire very close. It hit me and threw me to the other side," Jesus Manuel Ibarra, 41, said as he was treated for injuries to his arm and hip.

Chihuahua Mayor Marco Quezada said 79 people had been hurt. Twelve remained in intensive care, with four in critical condition, he said.

The governor, who declared three days of mourning, said a test had detected alcohol in the driver's breath, but he didn't reveal the level found or say whether it violated any law.

Gonzalez, the prosecutors spokesman, said investigators were looking into the possibility of a mechanical failure that left Velazquez unable to release the gas pedal.

Several witnesses said, however, that the driver appeared to have become incapacitated after striking his head as he bounced over small cars at high speed, crushing their roofs.

Spectator Daniel Dominguez, 18, said he was happily watching the show with a group of relatives when the truck came down hard in the middle of the cars.

"The driver hit his head and his helmet flew off," Dominguez said. "The truck came directly at where we were."

His 11-year-old sister was in surgery for injuries to her legs, and his mother was treated for minor contusions.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/9Q...webfeeds/be5487d2b06d70213f0f6a70670057cb.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/34...webfeeds/dafb1defb05d70213f0f6a70670056a2.jpg

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/0...webfeeds/125b22ccb06070213f0f6a70670054cf.jpg

edit.. I made the pics into links for those that were uncomfortable.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
That is horribly sad. I can't imagine what those people are going through at this time.

Could you take those pictures down? It's too much.

u n v kenny

Established Member
These "type" of pictures don't personally bother me. But this is not the website/forum I want to find them in. Remove them please.

RIP

o2k

Noob
Established Member
just to clarify.. pics arent of those that died.. just injured. but Ill just link them if it will make it easier for some of you. Sorry guys, I didn't think it would affect you like that.

Last edited:

sdg97232

Established Member
Why were there no barriers? Doesn't monster trucks have remote kill switches? It looked like it was still under power when it went into the crowd?..........that's just horrible. R.I.P

o2k

Noob
Established Member
Why were there no barriers? Doesn't monster trucks have remote kill switches? It looked like it was still under power when it went into the crowd?..........that's just horrible. R.I.P

I don't think mexico has the same safety regulations.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Very unfortunate. Standing that close with no barriers is just insane. I feel bad for the people who are injured, but hopefully the clown who organized this event won't be able to hold another and will have some sort of accountability. It's in Mexico, so I doubt it.

sdg97232

Established Member
Very unfortunate. Standing that close with no barriers is just insane. I feel bad for the people who are injured, but hopefully the clown who organized this event won't be able to hold another and will have some sort of accountability. It's in Mexico, so I doubt it.

I agree....... but its not much different then the rally fans they like to get hit by the dirt and rocks when the cars slide by at 100 mph.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty damn horrible. Cant imagine being there with your family and have that happen.

I bet when the driver came down from the jump he must have hit his head and went unconscious, causing him to go into the crowd.

:nonono:

jblood37

Established Member
That is terrible! I for one, think that every parent allowing their child to stand that close should be prosecuted for negligence. That is just plain stupid.

slidai

Established Member

I was thinking the same thing. it almost looks like a backyard wrestling match in terms of its low budget look. I don't think you'll catch people sitting 15 away from a monster truck landing in the US.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just heard this news this morning. Absolutely horrible. So many unfortunately killed and injured. Reports seem to indicate the driver hit his head after which his helmet came off. Maybe he was unconscious. But the lack of protection for the spectators, and them being allowed so close to the monster trucks is inexcusable.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Back in the 90's when monster truck still used boxed frames they had issues with guys getting knocked out. This is why Bob Chandler came out with the RII or Remote Ignition Interrupter. It can cut the truck off at any sign of trouble from the sidelines. If the guy was drunk then that is just FOUL.

No barriers, an old style full frame truck and the guy jumping cars. Recipe for disaster. Add alcohol and a knockout from the interior of the truck = even worse.

Check out some videos on youtube, some good info on how they made USHRA and Monster Jam trucks safer.

MTBSully

Established Member
Has to have been mechanical failure or knocked out driver or both. You can hear the truck still at WOT long after it plows through the crowd.

So terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread