More Info on '05 GT\'06 Cobra

SVT Cobra

Established Member
Taken from 'cyclical's' post on mustangworld.com:

Oklahoma Deadhorse Mustangs was invited to a press conference with J. Mays (Vice President of design for FORD). The following is a quote taken from our message forum by one of our members.

--------------------------------------------
05what.jpg

05what2.jpg
boost1.jpg

seats1.jpg

wheel1.jpg

rear.jpg

press_release.jpg

The last pic is J. Mays signing my '05 GT press release booklet he gave me.

And here's the info that everyone wants to know, straight from the horses mouth:

There will NOT be an '05 Cobra. The Cobra will debut a '06, (start selling in mid '05,) and will not be a 4.6L. It is going to be a 5.4liter 3 Valve supercharged motor. The rated power output is 500BHP. Do the math on that and you'll soon figure that the '05 Cobra will be putting out about 470-490RWHP ('03 Cobra math.)

The GT will be offered in several models, but they'll all be the 4.6. They plan on offering the DOHC and the SOHC, but J. Mays said the SOHC won't be around much longer (good call!)

The V6 and GT will start selling mid next summer ('04,) and will have a base price of $18k.

The front end is different on each the V6, GT, and Cobra.

He said in 40 years there'll still be Mustangs. :up:

The prototype isn't a 2+2 like all other Mustangs. The release versions will have a back seat.

The body on the red prototype vert is all carbon fiber! He estimated ~2,800lbs.

The gauges and/or dash panel won't be the same either. These gauges in this car were all mechanical, and cool as hell!

The GT/V6 will be solid rear, and the Cobra will be an IRS. The prototype was an IRS rear end with an '03 Cobra motor and a 5-speed automatic transmission.

The GTs will have 18" wheels, Cobra will have 20" wheels.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Supercharged 24 valve 5.4 (3v) thats exactly what he meant.

I assume this would also means a C6 Z06 or whatever GM decides to call the next supervette, would have atleast 500hp or more then.

Also... If the Cobra will have a 3v supercharged 5.4... what does this leave for a future R model?

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT Cobra
........The Cobra will debut a '06, (start selling in mid '05,) and will not be a 4.6L. It is going to be a 5.4liter 3 Valve supercharged motor. The rated power output is 500BHP. Do the math on that and you'll soon figure that the '05 Cobra will be putting out about 470-490RWHP ('03 Cobra math......
ME WANTS!:uh oh:

03CobraBro

Established Member
I wouldnt count on 2800 lbs as a production number since the prototype was made out of carbon fiber, But! I wouldnt see why the Convertable should weigh too much more than that... Couldnt weigh anymore than 3200lbs at most and we havent covered the coupe yet.

Last edited:

SVT Cobra

Established Member
well its made especially for the vette :thumbsup: autoweek suggets the vette c5 is supposed to be around 3,100lbs with around 410-425hp
wait til the Cobra comes out ;-)

03blackvert

Established Member
Wait a minute.

The Lightning concept is a 500HP 4-valve 5.4, right? We know it won't fit in the current car (just look what they had to do to get the 5.4 in the -R, and
with the supercharger and all that it's bigger). I didn't think the new platform was getting a lot more engine room, if anything, less. Also, I think in ford's eyes the 'stang should have less power than the L, and so if that's as big as they go on the L, I doubt they'd make a stang that big.

So, I'm not buying the 5.4 thing. 5.0 3-valve, using the bored out 4.6 block, in the mid-400's is much more likely. Never trust a guy at a car show. :)

03CobraBro

Established Member
I personally am glad to see the new Cobra getting a 5.4 (even though Im more than content with what I have right now)... Nice thing about the 5.4 is that nobody can use that, untrue, over abused statment "no replace for displacement." for the mustang anyway, anymore.

Last edited:

TruBlu03

So other than a possible 04 Mystic, no more Cobra's till 06??

The new ride sure is sweet looking. Hmm, possible 05 GT daily driver in the making?? Might have to stop spending on the cobra and save for a bit :D

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
5.4 3v Supercharged

2005 Lightning would get the 3v 5.4 Supercharged.
The same as the 06 Cobra

The R had the 5.4 2v engine. Hard to fit in the CURRENT chassis.
The Ford GT has a 5.4 4v supercharged Engine.
if I'm not mistaken

I don't think Ford wants the lightning to be the highest rated.
In fact the Cobra was suppose to be...
but why not have the same "superstar" engine in your big guns.
Cobra AND Lightning have the same 5.4L 3v Supercharged.

The new Mustang has enough secrets that will make you crap your pants. Ford is slowly leaking the info, but theres enough to get us to go WOW in the end. ;) Exciting time.

The GT will "blow" your mind let alone a Cobra ;)

Start saving

Users who are viewing this thread