More Info on '05 GT\'06 Cobra

QuicksilverC5

Established Member
Point is I could rip out my airbox, filter or whatever to make gains, but we'd never drive it like that. 'Stock' dyno's should be just that IMHO. Once you start fudging on what's stock you just end up with different levels of BS from everyone.

Wild Bill

Established Member
I've never dynoed mine stock,but I saw one dyno at 377rwhp totally stock.We were both getting the pulley put on.After he had 2.80 pulley,c&l maf,and diablo chip(not an agressive tune-to run safe on 91)he dynoed at over 450rwhp. A call to Silver State Motor sports in Lv can verify the dyno runs.A weak stock Cobra dynos at 360rwhp,the average from what I've been told by the tuners is about 375.Although they all usually even out with mods as it is usually just bad plugs or cats causing the low power on some cars. On the subject of the Lamborghini Murcielago I am wondering what the weight is as MT has it down for 3638,while R&T has it listed at 4020lbs. I hope the new Cobra stays in the 30s for coup and low 40s for vert.I know it is going to be worth more than that for what its going to offer,but they should really try to keep it affordable.Look what they did with the T bird.That thing is way over priced.If they would have put the T bird in the mid 20s people would buy them.Now they are going to stop making them.Did they really think people were going to pay 40k+ for a T bird?Very stupid! Ford should also do something about the greedy dealers,they are just hurting Ford and themselves.In Vegas every dealer wants 3-4k for any car thats limited production.Its not just Ford though I see the same with Dodge,Mitsubishi,and Chevy.They are basically telling you I will rip you off any way I can.I do have to give props to the Subaru dealership here.They are selling the STI at msrp. Sorry about the rant I just get angry at the short sighted companys willing to allienate their loyal customers for a quick buck.

cobra1

Established Member
QuicksilverC5, it's obvious that you think that the cobra is not as goood and will never be as good as a corvette. Actually the 03 cobra is faster than the regular C5 and will keep up with the Z06. I got my info about the 4000lb. lambo off Car and Driver magazine. The next cobra will be faster than the regular C6 because neither the Z06 or the regular C6 will weigh under 3000 pounds. I am involved in the forums at corvetteforum.com and those people think it will be a miracle if they can shave 100 pounds from the new vette. The cobra WILL be in competition with the Z06, viper, and Lambo. I'm not trying to start anything but your opinion sounds a little baised in favor of chevy. I know that you own a vette and that's cool! But please made your next comments a little less baised.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Cobra1,I do think you are on to something with Quicksilver.Its all in good fun though,so dont sweat it.Im glad that he likes the vettes as much as we like the cobras.They are really both great cars and a little rivalry makes you enjoy them even more.

QuicksilverC5

Established Member
cobra1: I'm just stating the clear facts on power/wt ratios. You can think what you want, but the numbers don't lie. Stock vs stock I've pulled all 03's I ran on the highway. Not wanting to go down that road, but they were planned races, not the random encounter that begs the "he wasn't racing" question. Yes, I do feel a Cobra is not as good, just being honest. I would have bought one if I felt otherwise. At purchase time I figured for $8000 I could slap on a magnuson from LPE, have a warranty, far more power, better handling, looks, etc. That's why I made the choice I did.

As for the speculative new cobra vs C6 info. Knowing Dave Hill's obsession with weight reduction, I'm sure the C6 will go on a diet. The Z06 is already at 3100lbs, and there are plenty of good ways they may pull pounds off on a car that will already be several inches shorter. If you're over at C6 forums you will also see plenty of places weight could still be dropped. Use of carbon fiber in the 2004 C5 is promising, new body materials, GM's admittedly still trying to get the hydroformed aluminum process down (but not for 2005 yet), more use of titanium has been mentioned. Besides, the rumors all point to C6 being VERY expensive...most likely due to materials. As for the next cobra, I think we're a bit far off to make any educated guesses. Of course I'll gladly read any credible info that's out there.

Not a flame at all. I'll admit I have my favorites, but I DO have reasons for those favorites since I'm not too brand loyal.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by QuicksilverC5
Air silencer removed certainly isn't stock. That's like these guys who claim "stock" quarter times on DR's. Either way, the hierarchy above should be pretty clear.

Well if it makes any difference I have seen upwards of 380+ bone factory stock.

Users who are viewing this thread