More info on 07 SVT Cobra

carstocks

Established Member
Autoweek-Feb 14th:

-SVT is alive and well (staff is bigger than ever before)
-Car will have a solid rear axle
-Will surpass 400 HP (probably 450)
-Will be about $40,000
-SVT will grow into about 5 products
-Next generation Cobra will be the best one EVER
-Will be a 2007 out in 06

jshen

Established Member
Sounds Good...but

If it doesn't make the 500 hp number, I don't think it will sell well. The 03/04 easily makes 400 with just a catback and CAI and 450 with a pulley. Also Ford needs to keep in mind the intentions of the competition.....

TheRod1976

Blue - The Fastest Color
Established Member
Remember that Ford has been under-rating the HP number on the Cobra. I've seen bone stock Terminators throw down over 370 horses at the rear wheels! Also remember that it's just speculation...at least until the New York show. I plan on being there! :rockon:

sjw985

Established Member
Solid rear + nominal power increase = I'll keep my '03.

Maybe the previous rumors about an IRS option will come true?

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
jshen said:
If it doesn't make the 500 hp number, I don't think it will sell well. The 03/04 easily makes 400 with just a catback and CAI and 450 with a pulley. Also Ford needs to keep in mind the intentions of the competition.....

Well, if it's 450 or > stock, I think I could pull well over 500 with a Twin screw blower. I would have no complaints. Then again, I do not currently own a Cobra, so I can't stick it out with my old one...

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
serpentnoir said:
That is unfortunate.

indeed... a step back in suspension technology to the stone ages... no thanks.
just because they screwed up the last IRS doesnt mean they should give up on it. "well, we cant design a proper IRS, so let just stick to solid axles from now on" WTF.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Serpentor said:
indeed... a step back in suspension technology to the stone ages... no thanks.
just because they screwed up the last IRS doesnt mean they should give up on it. "well, we cant design a proper IRS, so let just stick to solid axles from now on" WTF.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's a proven fact, that a well designed solid rear (i.e. Griggs, MM, etc.) is worlds better than your band aid 99-04 IRS.

SGL

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but it's a proven fact, that a well designed solid rear (i.e. Griggs, MM, etc.) is worlds better than your band aid 99-04 IRS.

...But not better than a properly designed IRS. In any case, better at what? Straight line acceleration? That is a very small spectrum of what I expect out of my car. That is why we want a redesigned IRS that works properly. If it does only come with a solid axle, I will take my money somewhere else. That is the only reason I bought my 99 (cheap performance + IRS).

Anyone who believes that a solid axle can deliver the same level of performance as an IRS and still maintain decent ride quality should pick-up a book on chassis engineering and study it (I'll be happy to email you some stuff). Unsprung weight and roll center height quickly becomes a limiting factor with a solid axle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
serpentnoir said:
...But not better than a properly designed IRS. In any case, better at what? Straight line acceleration? That is a very small spectrum of what I expect out of my car. That is why we want a redesigned IRS that works properly. If it does only come with a solid axle, I will take my money somewhere else. That is the only reason I bought my 99 (cheap performance + IRS).

Anyone who believes that a solid axle can deliver the same level of performance as an IRS and still maintain decent ride quality should pick-up a book on chassis engineering and study it (I'll be happy to email you some stuff). Unsprung weight and roll center height quickly becomes a limiting factor with a solid axle.

I dont think hes debating that a well engineered IRS can surpass a well built solid. He said a well built solid will be better then "A 99-04 IRS." Thats it, and hes right. Thing is that redesigning the IRS for the 07 Cobra will take lots of R&D and will drive the price of the vechicle up even more, which is the last thing Ford wants. Remember, a Mustang Cobra is suppose to be the best bang for the buck power and ride quality, not the best in all the land.

carstocks

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

Hey Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari engineers ... What are you doing wasting you time and money with IRS's! Fourcam330 says a solid rear is worlds better :rollseyes :rollseyes

First, after owning 4 mustangs, the 03-04 IRS made my my 03 Cobra the best street riding Mustang (or F-body for that matter) I ever had. That being said, There was supposed to be a newly designed IRS for the 05, not just "bend" the old one into shape to fit!

Sooo, a well designed IRS is "Worlds better" then a solid axle for all around driving!

Fourcam330

Established Member
serpentnoir said:

JMAN pretty much nailed it. Evidently your reading comprehension skills were slacking...
For the record, an '03 Cobra with Griggs live axle rear vs. the same '03 Cobra (no other changes) with a Griggs modified IRS, would wax the IRS cars ass on an open track, auto cross course, or drag strip. That my friend is a FACT, and if you don't believe me feel free to call Bruce Griggs to confirm.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
carstocks said:
Hey Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari engineers ... What are you doing wasting you time and money with IRS's! Fourcam330 says a solid rear is worlds better :rollseyes :rollseyes

First, after owning 4 mustangs, the 03-04 IRS made my my 03 Cobra the best street riding Mustang (or F-body for that matter) I ever had. That being said, There was supposed to be a newly designed IRS for the 05, not just "bend" the old one into shape to fit!

Sooo, a well designed IRS is "Worlds better" then a solid axle for all around driving!

Again genius, go over what I initially said. I never claimed that a well designed OEM IRS wasn't as good as a well designed OEM solid axle/3 link. All I stated was that the 99-04 IRS is/was in fact a band-aid, an afterthought design.
Also, ownership of four previous Mustangs doesn't make one a suspension expert. :nono:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Still mostly rumors. It's doubtfull the SVT will be factory rated over 450 for insurance reasons. What it actually IS, and what its potential IS is an entirely different matter. Even the GT supercar is underrated by 100hp.

Sith

Banned
carstocks said:
Autoweek-Feb 14th:

-SVT will grow into about 5 products

Dunno if I like that, I don't want them to stretch themselves thin...always though SVT was supposed to be "special" vehicles that people are enthusastic about, I can see people being enthusiastic about a Mustang but how many car "fans" want a special vehicle that isn't a sports car?

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Sith said:
Dunno if I like that, I don't want them to stretch themselves thin...always though SVT was supposed to be "special" vehicles that people are enthusastic about, I can see people being enthusiastic about a Mustang but how many car "fans" want a special vehicle that isn't a sports car?
Trucks (L)
Rally cars (Focus or whatever)
SUVs are hot (maybe a large and a small)
OF course, Mustangs

I think these would all sell well. I wouldn't buy anything but the Cobra or L. There are, however, a lot of custom SUV drivers and young kids that want Rally cars (WRX, EVO, etc.). It just may bring in a fair amount of new business and, therefore, resources into SVT.

Users who are viewing this thread