More nGauge clarification

KenB

Established Member
I have all of the respect for Lund, but yes, this was a choice of words I was not a fan of and it has caused me a great deal of work in clarifying.
The nGauge is not exclusive to Lund. The LUND nGauge is exclusive to Lund.
See what they did there?
They are credible enough and have enough of a following that they didn't need that angle, but I don't think any real harm was done.
It's sparked all of this conversation....

Angle? What is your angle exactly? Since you seem to want to tell people what our angle is. You don't have to answer, I don't want this to turn into an advertising post so I don't plan on continuing to post here.

I'll clear this up as best I can. We have no angle, we aren't locking anyone out of anything. If you want an 'open' device, HP Tuners sells their version of the nGauge. See how I said 'their version'? The difference is more than just what tunes can be accepted by the device. Lund Racing wanted to actively develop this device with new features and datalogging tweaks. While HP Tuners is a great company, their main concern is their software and we didn't want to rely on anyone else to add features. By having our own device with our own firmware, we can custom tailor the features to our customers.

Hope that clears things up.

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Angle? What is your angle exactly? Since you seem to want to tell people what our angle is. You don't have to answer, I don't want this to turn into an advertising post so I don't plan on continuing to post here.

I'll clear this up as best I can. We have no angle, we aren't locking anyone out of anything. If you want an 'open' device, HP Tuners sells their version of the nGauge. See how I said 'their version'? The difference is more than just what tunes can be accepted by the device. Lund Racing wanted to actively develop this device with new features and datalogging tweaks. While HP Tuners is a great company, their main concern is their software and we didn't want to rely on anyone else to add features. By having our own device with our own firmware, we can custom tailor the features to our customers.

Hope that clears things up.

I'd like to apologize to Lund and Ken for the way this response came out.
I'm not going to edit it. I said it. I was attempting to diffuse the accusation and instead ended up validating it before downplaying it, which really didn't accomplish anything.
The "angle" I was speaking of was the marketing angle of "exclusive". IMO, it perpetuated *some* of the confusion between the two devices. I think many would agree with this.
It should be noted that, in the same breath, I also defended Lund.

Here is the bottom line: Lund is one of the tuners I respect the most. They are among those who I would allow to tune my own vehicles.
There has been a lot of confusion with the nGauge, which really is just the nature of what happens when one company makes a product for multiple other companies.

When I found out that Ken was upset over this post, I instantly felt ill about it. My apologies, Ken.
As small and inconsequential as it at may seem in the scheme of things, I will remember this.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
Any word yet on using the analog inputs on the back to connect a MAP sensor for boost? I'd like to get this to totally replace my sct tuner and aeroforce gauge

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Any word yet on using the analog inputs on the back to connect a MAP sensor for boost? I'd like to get this to totally replace my sct tuner and aeroforce gauge

This. ^^^

I hope whatever it is, that it has ability to measure in increments of .1 or .5 PSI. AEMs single digit readout doesn't cut it for me. :/

lshin037

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/2015/07/01/tech-touchscreen-tuner-gauge/

If you look at the bottom of this article, it mentions that it "supports data from sensor outside the OBD-II network" and it mentions "wideband oxygen sensor, an exhaust gas temperature sensor, an air-charge temperature sensor, a water temperature sensor, an oil pressure sensor, and more".

Doesn't mention MAP sensors though

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would like to see a crank relearn feature.

The HPtuners VCM suite is capable of the crank neutral profile relearn, sure it would be just a matter putting that procedure into the nGauge. Wonder if customer firmware would have written or if HPT file could just be uploaded to the device for that function.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
The HPtuners VCM suite is capable of the crank neutral profile relearn, sure it would be just a matter putting that procedure into the nGauge. Wonder if customer firmware would have written or if HPT file could just be uploaded to the device for that function.

I was told Lund is working on it for their nGauge along with a KAM reset.

AKDMB

Established Member
Currently, you can buy VCM Suite Professional for $649 (Standard for $499) and that comes with everything you need to tune with or without your nGauge.
You simply take your stock read (with either the nGauge or the MPVI), create your tuned file in VCM Editor, save it as an .HPT file (for future editing) and then "export to e-motion".

The export will create an encrypted file that you then install on the micro SD card on your HP Tuners nGauge.
You can fill it with as many files as you want, up to the capacity of the SD card (which is plenty).

I was talking about an Ngauge that simply came with VCM editor so I wouldn't have to buy an Ngauge and then buy VCM Suite to tune.

mjohns930

Established Member
I guess I am looking for a bit of clarification: If I buy the Lund specific nGauge today, and then in the future buy HP Tuners and want to use the Lund nGauge to load those tunes, can I do that? Or, is the Lund nGauge Lund only forever and that is it?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I would be interested if i could see all of the gauges it offers. if it had a wideband gauge that was analog and not under the rpm gauge that would be great. Someone needs to post all the gauge variations.

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
I guess I am looking for a bit of clarification: If I buy the Lund specific nGauge today, and then in the future buy HP Tuners and want to use the Lund nGauge to load those tunes, can I do that? Or, is the Lund nGauge Lund only forever and that is it?

From what I've been made to understand, a Lund gauge is a Lund gauge forever.
The HP Tuners nGauge can be tuned by anyone with HP Tuners VCM suite.
You can bring an HP Tuners nGauge to Lund and (for a fee) they will convert it to a Lund gauge.
That essentially locks it to Lund only from that day forward.

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
I was talking about an Ngauge that simply came with VCM editor so I wouldn't have to buy an Ngauge and then buy VCM Suite to tune.

Perhaps HP Tuners can come up with a package for this. I'll talk to them about it today. PM me with with an idea of what would work for you and I'll go over it with them.
Keep in mind, VCM Editor and the nGauge both have a certain value, so I doubt they are simply going to give one free with the other, but I could see the possibility of some type of package that nets you at least some level of savings. it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Perhaps HP Tuners can come up with a package for this. I'll talk to them about it today. PM me with with an idea of what would work for you and I'll go over it with them.
Keep in mind, VCM Editor and the nGauge both have a certain value, so I doubt they are simply going to give one free with the other, but I could see the possibility of some type of package that nets you at least some level of savings. it doesn't hurt to ask.

I agree with this. The HPtuners VCM suite is basically an equivalent to the SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software. That SCT pro software is used by professional tuners to write the tunes files for SCT Xcal 3|4 handhelds. The nGauge in my mind is that missing piece (flash programmer) HPtuners has needed for so long and for lack of a better word, a handheld like the XCAL3|4 that end users can easily use. I hope we see more Ford tuners adopting HPtuners and writing tunes, now that there is a simple device to upload tunes.

Last edited:

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I agree with this. The HPtuners VCM suite is basically an equivalent to the SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software. That SCT pro software is used by professional tuners to write the tunes files for SCT Xcal 3|4 handhelds. The nGauge in my mind is that missing piece (flash programmer) HPtuners has needed for so long and for lack of a better word, a handheld like the XCAL3|4 that end users can easily use. I hope we see more Ford tuners adopting HPtuners and writing tunes, now that there is a simple device to upload tunes.

This is the exact reason we chose to go this route.

Users who are viewing this thread