More on3 performance results

syclone50

Established Member
Ok so the install was a major pain in the ass! I have the same bitches and complaints and everyone else. The kit itself has some issues but nothing tooooo bad. I just cant believe someone would CHOOSE to run a company like they do. RETURN AN EMAIL! That is all I ask.

Ok to the results. I will post the dyno sheet later.

2012 GT Boss short block
Boss intake
Leathal OR H pipe
Stock over the axle pipes....I am firing those as we speak
2011 GT500 mufflers
Vortec BAP
ID1000s
Stock pumps, lines, rails

I ended up with 695 rwhp and 620 TQ at 10psi on a mustang dyno
Max timing is 14 degrees

Boost comes on hard and fast and held at 10psi all the way to 7500 rpm

Interesting note the same tuner installed a hellion TT kit on a 2013 boss a couple of weeks ago. His run and my run at 7psi were with in 5 hp of each other. The on3 kit seemed to build boost a bit quicker. They did not take the Boss past 7psi during that session but he is returning later to turn it up a bit. When I learn what his numbers are at 10psi I will post it.

I am happy with these numbers as they are on 91 octane.

It made 65 more hp and a ton more tq than my vortec setup at the same boost level!

Last edited:

syclone50

Established Member
Heath at premier performance

Lol I forgot to mention it was 650 with the gt500 mufflers. We yanked them off and it jump to 695 at the same boost. It isn't too loud with no mufflers. I am going to go with 3" over the axle pipes and muffler deletes. I would hope the stock over the axles are worth 30ish

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
damn ... that's crazy about the gt500s... interesting.

Congrats on the results... on3 does not disappoint once its all said and done.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Any chambered setup will hold turbos back and sometimes by 100+ rwhp, all depends on how much power your making.

cjd223

Established Member
So will a chambered muffler also hold back a supercharged car? If so who makes a non-chambered muffler that won't run you out of the car? I always thought the GT500 mufflers were pretty efficient.

Nuar

Established Member
So what about the instal was a pain in the ass And what were the no toooo bad issues?
We know the kit performs, its the instal that needs more reviews and details :)
Grats on getting it all working great!

syclone50

Established Member
I seen the boss shortblock, but was it a boss intake as well?

Well now this is a difficult question to answer....where do I begin?
I am convinced the drivers side turbo flange is in the wrong spot or wrong angle.

I had to grind my drivers side hot side of the turbo so it would not interfere with the clasp on wastegate.
If I did not do this the turbo would not have sat flat on the flange and I would have had a huge exhaust leak
This also kept me from installing the turbo blanket without cutting the shit out of it to go over the area that had to be ground down.

I had to remove my ABS module and "re-design" the bracket so the brake lines were not in the way of the filter on that side. Again an issue that arose due to the flange not being where it should be. I tired to explain this to Chad at On3 and was told there was nothing wrong with the header and it must be my installation error.

The brake fittings they sent me leaked. I had to buy new ones from a local vendor. I explained this to Chad and again was told they are the correct fittings and I must not be tightening them down all the way LOL!

On the drivers side downpipe there is a spot where it has been "clearance". And when I use the word clearance I mean some hillbilly employee of theirs with a hammer beat the shit our of the piping after it was welded. The best part about this clearance area is in the wrong spot lol.....no kidding! It was done so the downpipe would not rub against the steering shaft. Well the idiot with the hammer was hitting the wrong spot. It is nearly 2 inches away from where it comes close to the steering shaft! This is obviously an issue with their manufacturing and they don't want to spend the money to redesign the pipe so it is made correctly the first time.

3 of the 4 wastegate clamps leak.

I latterly have a full bag of hardware that came with the kit that I didn't use. I have no idea what half of it is for and the other half that I was supposed to use was either the wrong thread or not long enough.

Chad is well aware of the issues with his kit and told me he knows his reputation on the forums. I find this strange he knows all this but chooses to run his company the way he does. I know it would cost money to fix these issues but I cannot figure out why he doesn't. He must lie in bed at night planning his next company meeting with his employees. All right you guys start practicing saying the words "I don't see anything wrong with our kit" or "It must be an error in the install, cause this is what we tell EVERYONE who calls in or emails us with a question. His mentality is simply to let the customer worry about it.

I did have the chance to communicate with several other members who bought the same kit. We helped each other through numerous problems and that was very valuable. Yes I got more assistance with my install from other customers who were having the same issue then I did from the company who is producing and selling the kit. It was interesting to find we were all having the same problems!

Oh and the instructions....lol...I mean bullshit "install recommendation guide". Seriously what a joke, horrible explanations, blurry pictures, pictures that don't show what they are claiming to show. Good hell Chad take 5 ****ing hours and put together a decent set of instructions.....of WAIT THAT WONT WORK, because if he did and actually followed them he would easily see his kit has many issues!

It takes days and sometimes weeks to get a return email from them. I got a bit fired up in one email to Chad and his response was "We are VERY busy and don't have time to respond to every email. If you have a question just call us. WHAT!?!?!? you would rather me call you and interrupt what ever you are doing rather than sit down for an hour during lunch and respond to emails?!?!?! That doesn't make much sense. He should have plenty of time to respond back, cause I sure as hell know he isn't fixing the ****ing issues that fill his inbox up daily. Most of the time it would take so long for him to respond I had already bought new parts or modified his shit to make it work.

I was very surprised to learn that Team Beefcake is now selling On3 kits. Beefcake better hire two more people to answer phones and email cause they are going to need it. I am sure he will learn the hard way and will soon drop them from their product list.

I am sure there this is just half of the issues I had but cant think of anything else right now. My plan when I received the kit was to do a full write up and review to help other customers and to hopefully prove the feedback on the forums was wrong. Well I cant honestly do that after going through the install.

All an all it turned out fine and I am happy with the numbers it produced but I would not want to do it again!

On a plus side I was able to buy the kit, ID1000s, build my shortblock, clutch, intake and a couple other things for less than the price of the next kit currently for sale.

Last edited:

JTS_7

Established Member
I went through the same thing. Actually far worse experience since Greg at on3 was shouting at me to just "send the kit back" , I also had to pay overnight shipping for pieces they left out. Granted I was in a time crunch, but he still ended up sending the incorrect parts lmfao......$50 extra dollars down the toilet, then I had to source the parts locally because he stopped answering my calls/emails.

These quotes speak volumes to me:

" His company leaves it up to the customer to figure it out, knowing issues persist"

"User error" lmfao give me a effing break, I guess user error also drilled my manifold flange bolt holes 1/4" off of the correct spot (when referenced via stock gasket). I've installed plenty of turbo kits even made a few from scratch. Your pictures, or should I say the ones you say that you attached (Chad) in the instructions but didn't, suck. Not to mention your kit fits horrible. I actually had on3 and someone else tell me I think your installing the downpipe wrong, the damn thing only goes on one way. I've seen a few and they are fine is what they said.........Lmfao how about NO, I've seen a few from various members and they are ALL beat in the incorrect spot causing a pointless restriction, and the "cut out" spot was also done in the incorrect spot as witnessed by the 10+ people who have sent me pictures.

I could go on for literally days regarding my experience with the kit and the company, in the end the kit performs. The customer service sucks (almost filed a CC claim against them). The parts fit like shite.

If parts start breaking, I am ditching the kit for a CPR kit or having a custom one made. On3 will never see another dollar of mine.

Stout results Syclone! The power sure is fun! I rarely drive mine, but when I do it puts a shitty grin in my face!

Last edited:

syclone50

Established Member
^^^^^Yet another horrible experience with On3.

I would like to say I did know there would be problems with the "kit" going into and I had no problem dealing with the issues it presented. What I wasn't ready for was the horrible customer service. No excuse for that....at all!

If it wouldn't have put down the numbers it did I was 100% ready to rip it off my car and go another route.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Its been said many times.... If you are not a fabricator or don't know your way around a welder or various other metal fab tools then its probably best you stay away from this kit or pay to have a shop install it.

I seriously considered it because im capable enough to get it done but definitely did not enjoy thinking about what I knew I would be getting myself in to.

Good news is, the kit puts up the numbers!

Nuar

Established Member
Damn... that was a rough read for sure. I bet the experience was even worse to go through though.
I did consider the kit for a while, but reading this and having no "fabricating experience" of my own... the kit is definitely not for me. THANK YOU for the brutal honesty on the instal! I was hoping for positive-ish experience, but this review confirmed my worries. So thank you.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Syclone50 can you post up some pics of where you had to modify the kit?? Reason I ask is I just got done installing a on3 yesterday and I didn't have to do any grinding even with the 67mm turbos (Bigger exhaust housing). Im just trying to figure out where all of these issues are coming from? This is my 2nd kit I've installed and both kits didn't need any wastage grinding. For the brake fittings you just cut a 1/4in of threads off and tighten the fitting against the crush washer. For the brake lines interfering with he air filter causing you to re mount the abs box, I feel you did this the hard way, go out and buy some KN 2510 air filters it will solve the problem. You can find the filters for 15 a piece just so you know. Here some random pics of the kit I just did the install on.

FE067381-3603-480B-B160-0FCC6FA0DCA5_zpsddbxj93n.jpg

2BA87B5B-EBA2-4345-9B0E-A0C50A1C487F_zpszkestqpc.jpg

1C3B79E2-349A-4BA4-ABB4-DF24111C81DA_zps3u8pheym.jpg

syclone50

Established Member
Fabbed a lot of my issues were minor but they are still issues. I don't think I did thinks the hard way, I worked with what was delivered in the kit I purchased. Just the fact that us as customers have to identify the problem, locate a solution, and then purchase new parts is absurd. You should have to grind a fitting or the housing, was it a big deal no but I still had to do it. You shouldn't have to buy new filters. That is my exact complaint.

When I mentioned the fitting chad told me our cars don't require the copper washer and should seal on the interior of the fitting......WELL THEN WHY SEND THE WASHERS IN YOUR KIT!

Now onto the grinding. Here are a couple of pics. You can clearly see in a couple of them where the turbo rubbed off my black coating. You can also see the spot where chad again did his hillbilly clearance is nearly 1 inch away from where the turbo actually hits the piping.

The other pictures that show the clamp is not my finished product. I had to grind much more as the down pipe was hitting the strut tower. I had to enlarge the holes on the flange so I could move the turbo over to towards the passenger side. This put the turbo within 1/8" of the valve cover. This was necessary or the turbo would not sit flat on the flange, again due to the interference with it hitting the wastegate area.

The best part of this is that wastegate clamp leaks and I cant remove it to close it up without taking off the turbo and we both know that cant get to one of the bolts without taking off the downpipe.

All of this adds up to I believe my drivers side flange was not mounted in the correct angle or position.

Sorry if I sounded angry towards you, Im not. Just frustrated with a kit that can work perfectly for you and not for me. I think the kits are hit and miss as several other people had the same issues I did.

By the way your install looks killer! I wish I could have gotten my fuse box to sit where yours is and look that clean!

20141031_200248.jpg

20141031_200117.jpg

20141031_195940.jpg

20141125_170118_resized_1.jpg

20141125_170259_resized_1.gif

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Yea I see what your talking about, did you use a gasket in between the turbo? reason I ask is in that one pic a gasket doesn't look present which will cause it to sit lower to the flange. Honestly with a kit as cheap as these idk how you cannot expect to have little issues, its not like you spent 7k for a hellion kit (which have their own set of little issues mind you). Im not sure why chad told you that the fitting seal internally because they do not and He told me they seal on the copper washers which is why they are provided, I wonder if he thought you were talking about the actual part of the flare which does seal internally.

You can move your fuse box how mine is, there is nothing special needed.

Users who are viewing this thread