Mortgage free and looking to move

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I recently paid off my house, I'm looking to get the hell out of Dallas, Ga.

I work for a large chain with locations across the US and into Canada. I wouldn't want to change companies so I'm limited to where I can go based off those locations.
Right now I'm looking at Seattle, Phoenix or Wilmington, NC. More so Seattle than the rest just from research.

I want to relocate by the end of the year. I haven't been to Seattle or Phoenix but plan on visiting both before year end.

I've always had an itch to live in a downtown loft setting. I'm 30 years old and its just myself and my dog.

Not sure I want to tangle myself up with a mortgage again immediately.

I feel like the responsible thing would be to purchase another home. But part of me wants to just live for a year. I'll have about 40k set aside prior to the move. Which could set me up in a decent loft for the year plus whatever I make working would goto replenish that money and to have a good time with.

I'm not sure about Phoenix but I know the shop rate is 4$ more an hour in Seattle vs my location now, which being commission based would add a substantial bump to my income but I'm sure cost of living would offset it as well.

So what would svtp do?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id love to live straight downtown in a nice 1bdr place for a year. Just to do it.

The downside is parking and no room for doing stuff to cars, or any other hobby thats hands-on. If this is important to you, you will have to forgo it for that timeframe.

Of those, id say Seattle. It probably has the best downtown scene, not sure if phoenix even has a downtown scene like that. But that downtown scene is going to be filled with many hipsters......

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I would choose Wilmington, beautiful place. That is where my wife and I want to move to one of these years.

nxhappy

Established Member
Id love to live straight downtown in a nice 1bdr place for a year. Just to do it.

The downside is parking and no room for doing stuff to cars, or any other hobby thats hands-on. If this is important to you, you will have to forgo it for that timeframe.

Of those, id say Seattle. It probably has the best downtown scene, not sure if phoenix even has a downtown scene like that. But that downtown scene is going to be filled with many hipsters......

seattle is full of faggots, liberals, and rain LMFAO

Arizona for SURE

yelostang

Established Member
I'd rent the place out in Georgia and move to Arizona. Seattle makes me think of grunge (probably hipster now but whatever) chick's that don't shave their pits...no bueno

NinjaBum

Established Member
Phoenix is unbearable for several months out of the year. Like ridiculously unpleasant. I go to visit my folks sometimes and I can count on one hand how often we went outside the house period during the summer. I have never experienced heat like that since I lived in Iraq.

I have heard Seattle traffic is horrible. Phoenix drivers are the worst I have ever experienced.

Ever think about Oregon?

nxhappy

Established Member
I wouldn't move to phoenix either.maybe a smaller city off the grid ...

MFE

Established Member
If the "downtown loft" living experience is really important to you you'll be hard pressed to find it in Phoenix. Other than that, the place is great. Sure, it's hot from mid june to mid september, but that's what air conditioning, shaded pools, and trips up out of the valley are for. Cost of living is cheap and you don't have retarded politicians trying to deny your 2A rights every time they open their mouths. Instead, you get retarded politician Sheriff Arpaio and his money-printing DUI machine.

NinjaBum

Established Member
It's a dry heat. It's not bad.

Those people are California transplants.

An oven is dry heat as well. Only difference between wet and dry heat is like sub 90s. 106 is hot as ****.

Unless the entire state of AZ is CA transplants I don't believe it.

It is like clockwork crossing the state line all the retarded AZ drivers suddenly move over to the left lane and hang out over there. Passing on the right and chilling on the left. I have also never lived anywhere it is so prevalent to pass someone by flying into an exit only lane about to turn into an off ramp only to cut back into the left even though they could have passed on the left easier.

MG0h3

Established Member
If you want to live right downtown in Seattle, the traffic isnt bad in my opinion. As far as larger cities go, I found it very easy to get around in. I grew up about 45 min north; traffic getting in and out can be bad at times. The worst is up by Everett--holy crap. We called the freeway the parking lot.

My brother lived a block up from Lake Union for about 10 yrs. AWESOME. We could walk to all kinds of good night life stuff.

Ya there's plenty of hippies I suppose, but everyone is stoned so they wont get upset if you call them names.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
My 2 best friends live in Seattle.. I go there all the ****ing time to hang out.. We're pretty big into Mountaineering and there are a ton of beautiful places to go within an hour of Seattle. There are definitely lots of hipsters but they seem to be concentrated around Captiol Hill and the University District. Of all the larger cities in the US, Seattle has to be one of my favorites, only behind San Diego

Tempe is really nice, but I'd never want to live in Phoenix. I'd take hipsters over Mexicans any day.. Last time I was there was in January and it was still hot...

Branhammer

Established Member
Seattle is a great place to visit but I think if I lived there I'd commit a mass homicide or a suicide, or both. I would go with AZ, especially considering the all year Mustang weather. I'd be willing to bet that cost of living is better in AZ as well.

My brother-in-law has a friend who just moved up to Seattle from SLC and he makes something like $85k a year and lives in a small 2 bedroom apartment in down town Seattle. Pays more for rent than we do on our mortgage on a 3200 sq ft home.

Machdup1

Established Member
Phoenix is unbearable for several months out of the year. Like ridiculously unpleasant. I go to visit my folks sometimes and I can count on one hand how often we went outside the house period during the summer. I have never experienced heat like that since I lived in Iraq.

I lived in Phoenix and the summer heat is not a problem if you know how to deal with it. The desert was our playground in the middle of summer, wear sun screen, a hat and drink lots of water and you are good to go. If you don't have to piss, you are not drinking enough water in 100 degree plus temps.

If the outdoors and city life is your thing, AZ has a lot to offer. It is also close enough to california beaches and colorado skiing to keep life fun.

If city life, floats your boat, Seattle all the way.

If you like the beach and water sports, Wilmington is a nice community.

Ultimately, which ever you choose will be a good choice depending on how you adapt to your environment. Tune into what a place has to offer and just enjoy life. If you don't it is on you.

Users who are viewing this thread