- Installed DSS 3.25” Carbon Fiber driveshaft with direct fit CV
- Installed GiroDisc 2-piece front and rear brake rotors with Hawk HPS pads
- Installed custom Moser M88 rearend with the following options:
33 Spline bolt-in axles with ABS
Sealed axle ball bearing
Eaton Truetrac differential
Richmond Gear 3.55 ring and pinion set
Lucas Oil 85W-140 Plus HD gear oil
7/16" x 20 x 1 3/4" (.480" Knurl/ Disc Brake Stud)
Adjustable Lower Control Arm Mounts
Semi-gloss black powder coat
- Installed OEM 2013-14 rear upper control arm bushing part# DR3Z-5A638-A

The transmission output flange damper removal required use of a hydraulic press. This is NOT something you can do in your garage with a vice, hammer, and punch. The removal had no negative effects; the drivetrain feels lighter and is rotationally smoother when paired with a carbon fiber driveshaft.

2_1.jpg

I did have to clearance the mounting brackets of the Bob’s Auto Sports remote axle reservoir to fit around my BMR UCA mount welds. The axle vent to reservoir inlet hose routing took some thought to make it long enough to support full axle droop to full compression with clearance around moving parts and hot exhaust pipes.

2_2.jpg

The carbon fiber driveshaft was mostly purchased as “bling” to go with my other suspension mods since I already had a DSS 1-piece aluminum driveshaft, but it was also planned insurance to dampen a potential increase in NVH due to removal of the transmission output flange damper and OEM rear axle dampers. Minor drivetrain vibrations that I previously had around 70mph are now nonexistent.

2_3.jpg

The GiroDisc rotors with Hawk HPS pads feel like they have track glue on them after initial bed in and seem to only get better as more material is transferred onto the rotors from the pads.

2_4.jpg

2_5.jpg

The Moser M88 rear axle upgrade is a quality piece! My differential came with a spherical upper control arm bearing pre-installed, and I already have spherical bearing rod end lower control arms, so I replaced the upper bushing with a new 2013-14 GT500 OEM rubber bushing since I didn’t know what additional NVH from the new components I would be subjected to. I previously had a poly bushing in this location that performed well, and I would consider using it again in the future. As somewhat expected, the 3.55 gears are singing (like a turbine) between 50-55mph, but it seems to be diminishing as I put more miles on the fresh components, or I am getting used to it; but nothing stereo volume won’t squelch. Additionally, I elected to replace all the OEM hardware as recommended by Ford. The rearend is mostly a bolt-on installation, but the following items were noteworthy during my installation:
- I ordered the Moser Performance aluminum cover/girdle support, but it contacted the panhard bar in the stock location on my car. I had to re-install my Ford Racing low-profile aluminum cover/girdle support which has adequate clearance.
- New M88 rear axle does not have jounce bumper (bump stop) mounts.
- Passenger side brake anti-moan bracket was a very tight fit, but I didn’t have to grind anything.
- Rear brake rotor shields had to be trimmed with tin snips to fit around the axle retainers.
- Panhard bar mount on new rear axle is different than OEM location and requires an adjustable panhard bar, which I already had.
- The Bob’s Auto Sports axle reservoir has enough clearance, but you need to get creative with hose routing around moving parts and exhaust.
- Pinion angle did not change. I do still need to check thrust angle, but it looks unchanged and the car tracks straight.

2_6.jpg

2_7.jpg

2_8.jpg

Years in the making, I am glad to finally rid my car of “rusty butt”. In my opinion, 3.55 gears with a 27” diameter rear tire is the perfect combination for a 2007-10 GT500 street/sport touring car. I have not fully tested the Truetrac’s torque biasing capabilities, but I will once warmer temps promote better traction. I am very pleased with my winter mods and the way they complement other extensive modifications on my car, ultimately making it more fun to drive!

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Curious why you went with " Richmond Gear 3.55 ring and pinion set " instead of a Ford gear set ??

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I really like how you have customized your car over the years, getting it exactly how you want it. It is a very formidable car!

Thank you Sir! It was really difficult to justify the expense of a new rear axle or updating the old one according to my specs when there was nothing obviously wrong with the old part other than it was an eye sore. With general support for our platform phasing out, rising costs due to inflation, and political agendas starting to limit consumer choice and availability, I decided to pull the trigger and just get it done. I am very particular about what I install on my car, always threading the needle on performance enhancement vs. driveability, trying to avoid going too far that driving isn't enjoyable anymore.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Curious why you went with " Richmond Gear 3.55 ring and pinion set " instead of a Ford gear set ??

Great question and good point to bring up. I just checked the block for 3.55 gear set on the online order form, not generally concerned with potential whine from that ratio. Moser has a disclaimer that states that they have multiple vendors that supply their build components, and their priority is strength, performance, and durability. I knew that there was a risk that the gear set would whine, and with the differential break-in complete it is acceptable to me in my application. The new rear axle has tighter tolerances than what I removed, and overall I have LESS drivetrain noise and clunking.

After more research and hindsight being 20/20, Moser does also install Ford Performance parts, so it would not be unreasonable to contact them directly to specifically request their gear set, subject to availability of course.

PC03GT

Established Member
Nice setup. After building my 8.8, with all the time and expenses I would of definitely just went this route.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice setup. After building my 8.8, with all the time and expenses I would of definitely just went this route.

Thanks! Unless you can do all of the work yourself, the cost of parts and labor to restore, modify, and rebuild easily put you in the ballpark of the cost of a new M88. I had less down time, and I still have a used rearend that I can sell to offset the expense.

PC03GT

Established Member
Thanks! Unless you can do all of the work yourself, the cost of parts and labor to restore, modify, and rebuild easily put you in the ballpark of the cost of a new M88. I had less down time, and I still have a used rearend that I can sell to offset the expense.
Yeah, I was about 3500 or so when it was all said and done.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I have put 500 miles on this new setup and have been able to do some WOT testing with my car. I did re-install the OEM rear axle dampers to see if that would tone down the gear whine a little; even though it didn't affect the whine, it did deaden random axle noise, so they are staying on. Performance wise, I lightened the drivetrain and added a little more gear, so my car accelerates quicker as expected. The TrueTrac differential is working because 2nd gear will dead hook on a good asphalt surface in 60-70*F outside air temps, where previously my car would spin or at least haze the tires with the same amount of anti-squat dialed in via rear upper and lower control arms. Overall, the performance improvement is definitely noticeable, not night and day different, but the new mods met my expectations.

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

Rear axle reservoir hose routing:

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread