Motor Trend Mag. SRT8 Challenger vs. GT500

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Has anyone else read this pile of crap??!! Last time I checked, this was a perfomance car evaluation! In practically EVERY performance category, the GT500 totally outperformed the SRT8 (.5 sec faster 1/4 mile) and they still picked the Mopar. They even described the blower whine as 'toy-like.' I know in my L, every girl gets very, uh, excited with that blower whine. All my buddies are impressed too! What a bunch of jackalls. I wasn't aware, but I guess Motor Trend mag is edited by a bunch of grocery gettin, panty waste sissies. Kudos to the men with the real winner.....:beer:

mullens

Established Member
I think a true apples to apples comparison will be the Shelby against the new Camaro. I happen to like the Eaton whine on my 500hp "toy".

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Motor Trend in 1980 awarded the Chervorlet Citation as "car of the year"

That says it all right there.

While I'm not a big fan of the GT500 retro styling I would take it over either the Camaro :xpl: or Challenger. Anything over 4000 lbs. is automatically disqualified. There is a lot to like about the GT500 over the two boat anchors :nonono:

a 116" wheelbase on the Challenger is laughable

gritz45

Established Member
Motor Trend in 1980 awarded the Chervorlet Citation as "car of the year"

That says it all right there.

While I'm not a big fan of the GT500 retro styling I would take it over either the Camaro :xpl: or Challenger. Anything over 4000 lbs. is automatically disqualified. There is a lot to like about the GT500 over the two boat anchors :nonono:

a 116" wheelbase on the Challenger is laughable

Unfortunately our GT500's are also 2 ton behemoths. Ford lists my vert at 4040lbs, and the coupes are only about 150 lbs lighter.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Unfortunately our GT500's are also 2 ton behemoths. Ford lists my vert at 4040lbs, and the coupes are only about 150 lbs lighter.

Coupes without shaker 1000 check in under 3900lbs, which is a far cry from 4140+ for the SRT8 Challenger coupe. You think your vert is heavy wait until you see the weight on the Challenger Vert, LOL.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

With track wheels and 3/4 tank of gas. (Shaker 500 and harness bar added)

GT500onscales.JPG

GT500scalereadout.JPG

Dave07997S

Established Member
With track wheels and 3/4 tank of gas. (Shaker 500 and harness bar added)

GT500onscales.JPG

GT500scalereadout.JPG

Bruce do you think you can get a streetable GT500 down to the mid 3700lb range? I am thinking driveshaft, some light seats and such...not to mention light weight wheels and rotors.

Dave

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Guys. Motor Trend is the same mag that pitted the 03 Cobra against the Subaru sti, and claimed the sti was the faster car in the 1/4. :rollseyes

Fourcam330

Established Member
Bruce do you think you can get a streetable GT500 down to the mid 3700lb range? I am thinking driveshaft, some light seats and such...not to mention light weight wheels and rotors.

Dave

SLA front end + GR40 rear = 36XXlbs with iron block.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I was disappointed in the article. I mean the challenger is cool but its got nothing on the gt500.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Dave

Dave:

There is still a LOT of weight in this car. This weight was before I took off the two NVH weights from the rear axle. I think they were about 7-8# total? The panhard bar is still filled with steel shot. An after market adjustable unit will save maybe 10#. Driveshaft like you said will save a bunch. Especially if you go with the CF unit. Front seats will save weight. Rear seat delete, more still. '08 harmonic balancer will save 10#. Front rotors 14#. You'll be getting close.

Plus like Andy says front suspension can save a bunch as well.

If you really want to get serious, you remove the A/C and sound system. But where do you draw the line?

IMHO this car carries an additional 200# WAY better than any Terminator ever did. :read::idea:

I mean the challenger is cool

I also think the Challenger is a very cool car! I'm happy for the Mopar fans that they have a cool retro car now.

I mean the challenger is cool but its got nothing on the gt500.

Comparing the Challenger to the GT500 is similar to the GT500/C6-Z06 tests. No comparison, really! GT500 pwnz Challenger in every category!

SlowSVT

Established Member

Actually the weight of the GT500 isn't that bad when you consider all the stuff that is on the car. The iron block, blower components, DOHC heads come at a penalty. I don't know were all the weight on the Challenger and the Camaro is comming from?

Users who are viewing this thread