Motor trend-Viper vs GT vs Z06

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
GT did 535RWHP, not bad. 11.5 vs. 11.6 1/4th against the vette, Z06 barely lost!

Suycks the driver couldn't push the Gt hard on the track..I want some real times. :mj:

fordification

Established Member
is it true that a pro driver can usually produce better number without the aid of tc? guess the tester didn't feel confident without it on the vette then.

mustangbee

Established Member
the GTs junk for the money..yeah i said it..junk.. a $70k car keeping up with it...WTF?!?
havent seen one go for under $200,000 yet

Hye

Established Member
amazing how the Z's numbers are just as good as the GT in my opinion (in some areas actually better) and its a fraction of the cost..hah

and the Z doesn't have a giant piece of heat resting on top of the engine...

i'll stop being bitter, I just want the Z, then again I want everything.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
The Z uses a high compression 427 with a hot ass cam in it. The GT uses a Supercharged 331. Seems about even to me.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
BuckChoklit said:
The Z uses a high compression 427 with a hot ass cam in it. The GT uses a Supercharged 331. Seems about even to me.

Actually the cam is pretty weak. Check out some of the cams that the C5 guys were using in their 427 conversion kits. The motor needs to pass emissions, so it can't eb that hot.

Current LS7 cam spec:

211/230 and .593/.588 & 120 LSA Weak :(

A cam spec for the C5 427 and will be available for the LS7:

244/248 .608/.612 & 112LSA :eek:

Now thats a cam to go with those sweet heads :thumbsup:

The exhaust valves could definatetly use some work though.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
fordification said:
is it true that a pro driver can usually produce better number without the aid of tc? guess the tester didn't feel confident without it on the vette then.

Depends,

In F1, driver aids help a bunch. Without them, they couldn't go as fast. They actually cut them out this year to equalize the field, because ferrari had the best electronic nannies.

COBRA32

Established Member
Gt's are not going for 200,000 they are going for MSRP now. If they gave me a choice of which one, I would take the GT over the Z06 in a heart beat and you would be a fool to not take it also. A Ferrari is slower than the Z06 so I guess a ferrari must really be a junk hep too. Just like the guys in the magizine said its in another league compared to the ZO6. I will let the Guys at Motor Trend sum up the GT. How does the Ford GT stack up? Personality-wise it's the Ivy-League old-money fraternity president and rugby-team captain, a product of impeccable breeding. While the Viper and Vette are busy defending America's honor against the upper-middle-class competition, the GT packs the power, poise, and panache to parry and thrust with the blue-blooded Ferrari and Porsche flagships. Is it better than the other cars put together? The raw numbers may not make the case, but its emotional appeal is extraordinary Sure, it's hard to wriggle into, it's tight fitting, there's no place to put anything, and the ventilation is so-so. The same can be said about Superman's Lycra costume, but if it could make you fly, what would you pay to own it?

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
COBRA32 said:
Gt's are not going for 200,000 they are going for MSRP now. If they gave me a choice of which one, I would take the GT over the Z06 in a heart beat and you would be a fool to not take it also. A Ferrari is slower than the Z06 so I guess a ferrari must really be a junk hep too. Just like the guys in the magizine said its in another league compared to the ZO6. I will let the Guys at Motor Trend sum up the GT. How does the Ford GT stack up? Personality-wise it's the Ivy-League old-money fraternity president and rugby-team captain, a product of impeccable breeding. While the Viper and Vette are busy defending America's honor against the upper-middle-class competition, the GT packs the power, poise, and panache to parry and thrust with the blue-blooded Ferrari and Porsche flagships. Is it better than the other cars put together? The raw numbers may not make the case, but its emotional appeal is extraordinary Sure, it's hard to wriggle into, it's tight fitting, there's no place to put anything, and the ventilation is so-so. The same can be said about Superman's Lycra costume, but if it could make you fly, what would you pay to own it?

Ok,

The GT will be gone next year and the other two will march on. It's easy to build a one-hit-wonder, but it's hard to do it for years and still keep it fresh and exciting. :beer:

Can you even imagine trying to redesign the GT? Wait.......they will probably do it in another 30yrs.

Not being critical, just having a little fun :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Paul Vincent

Established Member
GTSpartan, If Chevy had kept the Vette "fresh and exciting" throughout its run, would people be so excited over the C6 Z06? Face it, for far too many years the Vette was treated as an afterthought by GM and was a vehicle kept in limbo for decades. The good that dynamic development of the Vette could have done for all of GM did not matter. It was a philosophy of "give the consumer just enough to keep the Vette selling" that ruled.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
mustangbee said:
the GTs junk for the money..yeah i said it..junk.. a $70k car keeping up with it...WTF?!?
havent seen one go for under $200,000 yet

supply and demand maybe? :rollseyes The Z06 is run-of-the-mill, regardless if it's fast...

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Paul Vincent said:
GTSpartan, If Chevy had kept the Vette "fresh and exciting" throughout its run, would people be so excited over the C6 Z06? Face it, for far too many years the Vette was treated as an afterthought by GM and was a vehicle kept in limbo for decades. The good that dynamic development of the Vette could have done for all of GM did not matter. It was a philosophy of "give the consumer just enough to keep the Vette selling" that ruled.

I was just joking.

Basically it's imposible for the vette, and to some extent the viper to have the buzz that the GT got. The are not one-offs that will be gone in a few years.

It's really hard to redesign a car over and over and keep everyone happy.

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
LS1's were going from like 280-300rwhp stock to close to 440rwhp with heads, cam - headers and a tune. My 98 SS is 400+ with a mild tune. That Z06 with some bolt ons (headers, bigger cam, better intake etc), and a good tune should easily go over 600+. Then add a nice shot of N2O and watch out.....
The GT is cooler looking, but dollar for dollar, the ZO6 is a sweet ride.

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
COBRA32 said:
.......The raw numbers may not make the case, but its emotional appeal is extraordinary Sure, it's hard to wriggle into, it's tight fitting, there's no place to put anything, and the ventilation is so-so. The same can be said about Superman's Lycra costume, but if it could make you fly, what would you pay to own it?
"The raw numbers may not make the case"
What does?

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Wow, good numbers for both the z06 and the GT; very close in everything. Slight edge to the GT in speed, and z06 for braking and G's. I wont mention the viper as it was dissapointing.

Users who are viewing this thread