Motortrend: 2014 Corvette tested

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The Sting Ray can be had for $5X,XXX.

What car for that price or cheaper is so much "better engineered"? And explain how it's "better engineered" while you're at it so we can understand where you're coming from.

And remember this is just the base model vette. Don't act like this is all the new vette will have to offer. The Z and R1 (if made) will offer better styling and insane performance increase.

And you think people buy Corvettes for no other reason than that it "says corvette on it"? I think that's just you're baseless opinion because a lot of people buy Vettes for the fact they're just awesome performing cars. They're relatively lightweight when you look at other current performance cars, can make great power, handle pretty decent, and any number of reasons that anyone buys any car.

Then you mentio. Aston Martins, Jaguars and Porches. Did it cross your mind you can buy 3 or 4 Vettes for the price of some of those vehicles?!

If he is anything like one of my buddies he bases his "better engineering" on the price you pay and the prestige that goes along with some of the manufacturers.

Doesnt say much for "better engineering" when a car that costs 2-3x less is doing the same or better track times.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
That is a lot of tech to take in; crazy we live in interesting times! The vette looks like the next runner up in the car scene. The Viper is just a hair to much money, so we have to rely on GT500's or C7's in next couple years to battle the GTR's etc. lol

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Aston Martin, Jaguar, and a lot of the Porsches and M cars aren't even half the driver car for the money. I feel like you probably aren't basing your opinion on experience because those thoughts would go out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I've driven quite a few european cars. Mostly M3's and porsches. The pinnacle drivers car is a porsche though without a doubt.

It's not really a hate thing. I like chevy, considering I have two in the garage now. I just feel the majority of owners are out to own one just because it says vette on it. Obviously the great performance is there, I would never deny it's a performer. But if you drive an M3 it's clear they designed and determined every little detail. From the button feel on the window switches to the click the door the makes. No rattles or squeaks, No flappy body panels, and no poorly designed interior. It's just one of many that I think is better for the money. But to each their own, I still admire it for what it is as a performance car.

wma8706

Established Member
I really like it. GM keeps making the next generation better and better. That's good for us because the C4 sucked donkey balls. LOL. I'm glad to see them finally make a great car. The C6 has been great and now this C7 looks very promising. Good job GM.
How was the C4 that bad? During the 80's and early 90's it did quite well compared to its competition. Only cars of that era that might be quicker in the same price range were cars and trucks powered by turbo Buick power plants and MKIV supras. C4 also came with the LT5 ZR1 4v motor.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
How was the C4 that bad? During the 80's and early 90's it did quite well compared to its competition. Only cars of that era that might be quicker in the same price range were cars and trucks powered by turbo Buick power plants and MKIV supras. C4 also came with the LT5 ZR1 4v motor.

This is true, especially in later years as engine performance improved. I actually read an old C&D article comparing a 1990 C4 to a 300ZX turbo. They liked the way the Vette handled better and it was only 0.1s slower 0-60 despite being down 50 HP. And the ZR1 was like nothing else at the time (although it was retarded expensive). It did have a shittastic interior though.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

Performance numbers aren't everything. The build quality was shit. It rattled like a tin can. If you had spent any considerable time around one you would understand.

nordy racer

Established Member
i got to play with one today. its NICE, i didnt think i would like it due to the rear but its way better in person.. the inside and dash is amazing, i love the gauges..

Stang Lover

Established Member
Can't wait to see what people do with this car. The rear is growing on me but the front is too round for me.

mikerob

Established Member
I've driven quite a few european cars. Mostly M3's and porsches. The pinnacle drivers car is a porsche though without a doubt.

It's not really a hate thing. I like chevy, considering I have two in the garage now. I just feel the majority of owners are out to own one just because it says vette on it. Obviously the great performance is there, I would never deny it's a performer. But if you drive an M3 it's clear they designed and determined every little detail. From the button feel on the window switches to the click the door the makes. No rattles or squeaks, No flappy body panels, and no poorly designed interior. It's just one of many that I think is better for the money. But to each their own, I still admire it for what it is as a performance car.

The same can be said about people that buy M3's or Porsche's. Folks buy Corvettes because they want the top of the line American sports car. And far as build quality that's yet to be determined on this particular vette. That can't be the cop out every time for an American car when it matches or surpass the performance of a euro car. Don't get me wrong I love all makes and models, but when this platform is kicking ass I won't say....well it's doesn't feel as good or well my BMW fly's in outer space. Their all great cars in their own regard.

wma8706

Established Member
Performance numbers aren't everything. The build quality was shit. It rattled like a tin can. If you had spent any considerable time around one you would understand.

Have to agree with you on build quality. I use to own a 12 sec C4 on juice. It was a love and hate relationship. Fast for a 90's era but the reliability was :bash:! Stereo ....fail! headlight .... fail! ECM ....fail! fuel injector ...fail! Worst was the lowered leaf spring suspension and bushings that made the car sound like a loud creaking boat...:nonono: and to this day not one shop or dealership was able to fix it :kaboom:

rcknrol

Established Member

I've owned 7 Mustangs and every one of them rattled like a tin can.

earico

Established Member
I've owned 7 Mustangs and every one of them rattled like a tin can.

Vettes don't cost Mustang money either.

In the 90s the build quality of a C4 Vette compared to a Supra of the same price was a fck'n joke!

rcknrol

Established Member
Vettes don't cost Mustang money either.

In the 90s the build quality of a C4 Vette compared to a Supra of the same price was a fck'n joke!

Really? My C4 must be the exception. It is tight with no squeeks or rattles. In fact, every button, switch and light on it works perfectly.

Or, maybe you are going a little overboard and being overly dramatic?:-D

Last edited:

KzooMuscle

Established Member
I saw a blue one on the hwy last week, the front end definitely caught my eye but as soon as we passed it and I saw the rear I went :xpl:

I'm hoping with a nice set of wheels, drop, a wider rear fender and some alterations to the rear, it will look 100x better and change my mind, along with the rest of the rear end hater's opinion. But until then...:nono:

earico

Established Member
Really? My C4 must be the exception. It is tight with no squeeks or rattles. In fact, every button, switch and light on it works perfectly.

Every brand has their nut huggers. If you like it good for you. You couldn't give me a C4. Friend of mine even had a C4 ZR1 and it was a pile except the engine.

I'll take a C6 any day. That car GM finally got right.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Interesting. I had been following the Stingray when it was first reported as going into production. It is a nice car, however the back end just won't work for me..in my opinion it looks / reminds me of a Camaro.

Sick03Vert

Banned

:lol::lol::lol::bs::bs::bs::bs:

Come on man...just...come on. :lol1:

Go Down South

Established Member
I don't mind it, but the C6 Z06 and ZR1 look WAY better IMO. No doubt it will be a great car but in the looks department its a downgrade.

I agree. It does sound sick though. It looks like they finally made an interior worth the price.

Last edited:

rcknrol

Established Member
Every brand has their nut huggers. If you like it good for you. You couldn't give me a C4. Friend of mine even had a C4 ZR1 and it was a pile except the engine.

I'll take a C6 any day. That car GM finally got right.

I do like it, thanks. It's why I bought it.

And the C6 is a fantastic car.

Users who are viewing this thread