Motorweek Lincoln Mark VIII Review

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I know this is usually Sid's thing but I was thinking of a simpler time and remembered the 1994 Mark VIII my dad traded his 1992 SHO on. It was green like 50% of the Mark VIII's were back then. And it was pretty far ahead of its time. IMO it was Lincoln's last really good, uniquely Lincoln car. 280 hp 32 valve Intech V8, air suspension that lowered at speed, & wrap around console, something I would later enjoy in my 1994 Thunderbird Super Coupe (Another cool Ford)

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
And all alum DOHC and IRS. The LSC has 290 hp and 327 gear.

The gen 2 97/98 has factory HIDs, puddle lamps, LED turn mirror signals, neon rear light and no antenna, the antenna is built into the rear glass. I am going to build on someday.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
My old man owned a jet black 97 Mark VIII when they first hit the showroom. I loved that car so much. He did have issues with the air suspension failing multiple times though. They were way over-engineered for their time.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My old man owned a jet black 97 Mark VIII when they first hit the showroom. I loved that car so much. He did have issues with the air suspension failing multiple times though. They were way over-engineered for their time.

All air suspensions have problems. It's the nature of the systems.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for posting that video. Brings me back to a "simpler" automotive period. But the engineering that we enjoy in today's cars is something to applaud.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Thanks for posting that video. Brings me back to a "simpler" automotive period. But the engineering that we enjoy in today's cars is something to applaud.

I agree I do like the engineering of today better. I'd love to have a new Mark drop top based on the Mustangs chassis with a 5.0.

74SD455TA

Established Member
In addition to a 2013 GT500 DIB, glass roof car that I own, I also own, and have owned now for about the last 20 years now, a 1996 Mark VIII LSC. With the exception of the windshield I changed when I bought the car (scratch from the wiper) it is all original with the original air suspension as well which works perfectly. It is bright Toreador tint (candy apple red sort of), chrome directional wheels with black interior and is fully loaded with wood trim throughout. It has 51K miles on it and after I bought it I turned it into a garage queen. The 1996 LSC was the one that had true dual exhaust and after that, every Mark VIII was to become an LSC. My guess is that in the entire country, there may be 1 or 2 that still exist although probably not in the condition that mine is. I loved those cars when they were new. Trouble was, I couldn't afford one til a few years later. These cars sure were over engineered for the day and the Mark VIII for 1996 in the LSC form was the first with high intensity headlights. For me, the 1996 was the best year for the Mark VIII.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I can always appreciate a nice Mark viii. Over the years of going to Carlisle I've seen many nice examples. I also know someone with a Mark viii convertible(black one in photo).

DSC_5963-X2.jpg

DSC_7941-X3.jpg

DSC_9162-X3.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
And all alum DOHC and IRS. The LSC has 290 hp and 327 gear.

The gen 2 97/98 has factory HIDs, puddle lamps, LED turn mirror signals, neon rear light and no antenna, the antenna is built into the rear glass. I am going to build on someday.

Back when i had my 1993 Thunderbird 5.0, i really wanted to get the 98 Mark VIII LSC. For a big body it was a fast car and road great.

smitty2919

Established Member
I had a black 93. Such a comfortable car and the interior was really pleasing how they designed it. First thing I did was swap out the airbags for coils since the front was deflated and the back was jacked up LOL.

I would own another one but in a 97-98 as long as the parts price and availability are not $$$. Convert it to a 6 speed and maybe add a blower. I remember the 97-98 headlights being $$ to repair lol.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I had a black 93. Such a comfortable car and the interior was really pleasing how they designed it. First thing I did was swap out the airbags for coils since the front was deflated and the back was jacked up LOL.

I would own another one but in a 97-98 as long as the parts price and availability are not $$$. Convert it to a 6 speed and maybe add a blower. I remember the 97-98 headlights being $$ to repair lol.

It is because Ford would sell you an entire housing with HID set up, if you just wanted to replace the bulb. You don't have to do that.

Air ride, across multiple Ford platforms, the main issue is the compressor location. It is in a hole that gathers moisture and can rot out. There is also product in there that captures moisture in the air, if you dont replace that or bake the water out after years of use, it will start rotting out inside. Finally, the air springs get leaks on the folds over years of use(I always wonder if some kind of conditioner applied to this area would prevent that) and the compressor would over run. It is designed to time out, but with this over use, it would ruin it and one day it is stuck on the ground until you replace everything.

A youtuber guy recently had a new Aviator on a lift that had the air ride on it and at least on the rear, had these huge air springs, diameter wise. Never seen that before, interested to see ow they hold up over time. They look more robust and did not have the fold crease that would weaken over time, they look more like a slinky.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
I daily a 1995 Lincoln Mark Viii. Had it now for 10 years in August I believe.
Great car, way ahead of it's time. But honestly, I've been driving newer cars lately and everytime I get behind the wheel of the Mark I get a jurassic park feeling. It's a dinosaur.¨
But here in Sweden, it's a shitty car no doubt.
That car was never made for below freezing temperatures. It truly sucks in winter.

But I agree with you that it's the last real Lincoln. Mark Viii and Town Car (up to 1998) was the last real large and boat-like Lincoln that we're all used to.
Ever since it's just all mid-class garbage. It's a shame.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Buddy had one used to call it the "Sinkin' Lincoln" sweet ride but but always be cockeyed after an hour or two of sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread