Moving north and looking for a new DD....any recommendations?

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Moving back north and looking for something AWD/4WD and can't really decide what to get.

I prefer something AWD/4WD, decent mileage and at least a 4-seater since I've got kiddos.

I've looked at a few things but haven't really decided. Leaning towards a truck at this point unless someone recommends something else fun that I might like... :coolman:

2017 F150

Gen-2 ECOboost with 10-speed
2016-ford-f-150-lariat-appearance-package-front-left-quarter.jpg

2017 GOLF R

57c84f96cd939f6a3e60c15c.jpg

2017 FOCUS RS

IMG_2008_zpstusji5eu.jpg

2017 Silverado Z71

6.2 V8 w/8-speed
2016_chevrolet_silverado_1500-pic-5034269019386021054-1600x1200.jpeg

Leaning towards the F150 at this point followed by a GOLF R....

Attachments

• 2016-ford-f-150-lariat-appearance-package-front-left-quarter.jpg
    2016-ford-f-150-lariat-appearance-package-front-left-quarter.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 568

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you NEED a truck? If you have a need for extra interior space for family and occasional utility, take a look at the Ford Fiesta. Or a similar small SUV/Crossover. They're great family vehicles IMO. Mileage, though, won't be as good as with a smaller hatchback.

joshcarp81

Established Member
Subaru has been gaining traction (pun intended) around here for a few years now.
I would say anything they offer other than the biz would be a great DD for when the white stuff flies
my wife's cousin owned a forester and his only complaint was road noise. his parents have a legacy and it's been great for them.
my step brother and his wife both have foresters and love them too.
we have a loaded murano for my wife's daily and it's been great.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I'm also in the market soon for a fun awd car. Subarus are great daily drivers. If you can wait until the spring the 2018 STi's will be out. Big redesign coming. That's what I'll be ordering. I just need a good reliable daily, fun to drive, room for the kid, and great in the snow.

The Fusion Sport while looks really nice, it's just a little plain for my taste, and the the Focus RS is selling for too much (can get a way better deal on a STi)

Good luck with the decision.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
The only problem with an AWD sedan is ground clearance. Around here, VDOT lags behind tremendously in slow plowing/clearing. This past winter we had plow drifts up to 14" on the interstates, causing many a high-HP AWD car (2 Audi's in particular) become dead weight stuck in the roads. I prefer and AWD SUV or 4WD truck if I am in the know about winter driving conditions.

Just my .02

2007MustangGT

Established Member
I have a 2013 SHO as my DD. It has been a great car for 3 years and 50,000 miles. The car has a CAI & tune. It is a blast to drive all year long. Good luck with you search.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I would go with either truck and neither hatchback, the further north you go the more ground clearance you need. If you dont need a fullsize truck and want something smaller I have been pretty happy with my 15 Forester FXT turbo. As a bolton stage1 its plenty fast and I dont have Cobra withdrawl anymore like I did with my old Outback. Subaru AWD and 8.7 inches of ground clearance should keep you in pretty good shape regardless of the weather, add dedicated snow tires and you will have zero issues.

TERMN8U

Established Member
F150 ecoboosr with an SSI tune. I have a 2016 with their tune and it will spin all 4 wheels if you brake boost it off the line. Many people run mid to high 12's tune only. The 2017's will be even better! New more powerful, lighter and more mod friendly engines coupler to a 10 speed tranny. Hands down best choice.
Chevy's look really nice but they don't have as much to offer in my opinion.
Here is one of many vids of a 12.5x pass.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GkPgSSh3yk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread