Moving to texas

02StanGT

Established Member
My fiance, myself and our 3 month old are thinking of moving to Texas in the Fort Worth area. I know a lot of people on here live in Texas so I was posting this up to get some feedback about places to stay away from or to look for. Also anyone with kids please chime in on the school districts. One last question, is it expensive to live there?

Last edited:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
We visited some friends in Ft. Worth this weekend and it's a very nice area. They live off I-20W at Hulen St. in a very nice apartment complex. I'm not sure what they pay, but they didn't mention that it was overly expensive to live there as compared to the Houston area. Welcome aboard and let us kow if we may be of further assistance!!! :beer:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
+1, especially if you like live rock, blues, jazz or country, Austin is _the_ place to be.

Jim Snover

+1 for Austin. Great city, cheap housing and lots of culture and things to do. Traffic is rough, but will be bad in Dallas/Houston as well.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
One last question, is it expensive to live there?

Nope! And congrats on a great decision. I did two summers as an intern in Denton, and we lived in the Flower Mound/Lewisville (all suburbs of the DFW area). I loved the DFW area, and Flower Mound is a really nice area. Your best bet on info for school districts is to find a good realtor, it's their job to know that sort of thing! Any particular reason you picked Ft Worth?

bird_jenkins8

The Demon
Established Member
I live in Lewisville..........any of the suburbs around Dallas are really nice. Flower Mound has the lowest tax rate of any of them in the area......but Carrollton, McKinney, Plano, The Colony, Frisco, Grapevine, South Lake, etc. are all really nice places........HEB (Hurst Euless Bedford has always had one of the better school districts, but you can't really go wrong with any of the schools around Plano, Frisco either)

There's nothing wrong with Ft. Worth either........especially around the Hulen area. Aledo is a suburb right outside of Ft. Worth that has a really good school district. It's ten minutes from Ft. Worth and is a smaller community which would probably be safer for a small child

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
southlake is the richest city in the nation, so unless you are banking not your best bet. Stay away from the mid cities for the most part. Grapevine is nice, flowermound, frisco. I live in lewisville and its starting to get a little ghetto.

bird_jenkins8

The Demon
Established Member
southlake is the richest city in the nation, so unless you are banking not your best bet. Stay away from the mid cities for the most part. Grapevine is nice, flowermound, frisco. I live in lewisville and its starting to get a little ghetto.

How come we've never met up??? I live on the Vista Ridge side, so it's nicer over here right off of 121B.....Back towards the lake though I'll agree with you....

LSUstang05

Established Member
ft worth..gross

Surprise, surprise coming from a Dallas native.

My brother goes to TCU and I have a good friend in Ft Worth, also. It's awesome. IMO, better than Dallas. If you like laid back then Ft. Worth is a good place. The Stockyards are always fun and there is quite a bit of history in the town. It's a big city, but honestly, it doesn't feel like it (at least not when I've been there) other than the huge interstates. I don't have much advice, but I've always liked visiting it more than the Dallas area. Dallas seemed way to worried about how they look (the people) than anything whereas Ft. Worth was laid back, do what you want type of attitude.

Common

Established Member

This totally a false statement.

Out of the last 319 homes sold in Southlake, 237 were Sub 900k. That doesnt even put you in top 5 in the country, not even 10 maybe.

Look at this for example.
1614 Mockingbird Lane, Southlake TX 76092

359k:eek:

I would kill for that house here in that price range, or even under a million. My house was more than that and it's a barn compared to that. I might need to move, looking at homes in Texas while fully knowing I could afford more for my money makes me sad.:(

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
I live in Fort Worth near Saginaw. Really nice quiet area and all kinds of stuff downtown which is like 15 minutes away.

Keller is also really nice but has some pretty high property taxes from what my friends say.

bird_jenkins8

The Demon
Established Member
This totally a false statement.

Out of the last 319 homes sold in Southlake, 237 were Sub 900k. That doesnt even put you in top 5 in the country, not even 10 maybe.

Look at this for example.
1614 Mockingbird Lane, Southlake TX 76092

359k:eek:

I would kill for that house here in that price range, or even under a million. My house was more than that and it's a barn compared to that. I might need to move, looking at homes in Texas while fully knowing I could afford more for my money makes me sad.:(

Your comparing two totally different markets...........that's almost like comparing apples to oranges or the California market to the Mississippi market. Per capita income is higher where you are, the cost of living is hire, etc.........I'm not saying your wrong, but the markets are drastically different.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Texas the best state in the nation

Plus as an added bonus you get the best teams in sports

I.E the Dallas Cowboys

:dancenana:

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
Northwest ISD is one of th fastest growing in the nation and is ranked very high. Prices for housing are low especially in the Haslet area. I live off of 35 and Basswood and I know that there are houses over by Heritage Trace Pkwy that have about 3000sq ft and are going for 140k, and that is mostly brick. There is a lot to do as far as golf and recreation (Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars and the Cowboys), plenty of cool bars and resturaunts in downtown Ft. Worth, all types of select leagues for youth sports, traffic gets busy at times but not near as bad as Dallas, Houston or Austin. Plus, Austin costs an arm and a leg to live in a decnt neighborhood. Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.

Common

Established Member
Your comparing two totally different markets...........that's almost like comparing apples to oranges or the California market to the Mississippi market. Per capita income is higher where you are, the cost of living is hire, etc.........I'm not saying your wrong, but the markets are drastically different.

I understand but for all the great things Metro NYC comes with, it has it's drawbacks. ONE of the major ones being that a MANSION in Texas has the mortgage of my house which is far from a mansion.

The property taxes here are enough to make you kick rocks when the bill comes. 8-10k a year on an average home in this county.

Users who are viewing this thread