MSRP......possible?

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Now that we basically know what we are getting for about what its gonna cost, does anyone think we'll be able to find any for MSRP? This car is growing on me hourly, I think I need to swap the Black 03 for a solid Black 07.

The_Wretched

Established Member
i doubt it will be MSRP for a while... thats what stopped me from getting the 05 GT when it came out. months in a waiting list and 5-7k over the msrp. when i went to the dealer that sold me both of my stangs... they said 34k for a premium GT... i laughed... the sticker says 28k!!!! they called me a few months later with a similar GT and said 27k... i still laughed and sent them to hell. "i'll wait for the shelby and buy it at brandon ford".... im guessing close to 45k for the 38k coupe and who would buy the 4200lb convertible????

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
There are dealers not out to screw anyone. Im dealing with one now. Unfortunatly, due to other life circumstance, it looks like i wont be able to get one. There will be an opening if i decide against it, but its already likely to be taken by a friend :)

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
03snake said:
...does anyone think we'll be able to find any for MSRP?
It will be possible...IF you don't have to absolutely have to own one of the first ones built.

First year production numbers of the GT500 will (supposedly) be similar to the first year production of '03 Cobras. Road & Track says Ford is projecting 10,000 units for the first model year. If you go back in time, that's the same number Ford projected for '03 Cobra production.

There will be a demand for the GT500, but I don't think there will be 10,000 buyers willing to pay full sticker on a car approaching $40K. I would exect thse cars to be selling for MSRP for at least 6 months. So if you're willing to wait, your patience will be rewarded.

One thing's for sure... even though MSRP was considered a "fair" deal for a Terminator at one time, not all 2003 Cobras sold for anywhere near MSRP...

Sale1.jpg

crazyhorse06

Established Member
the hype is kicking into high gear. Keep in mind it is just that - hype. The first cars will go over sticker. Eventually MSRP - I think 6-9 months. I think deals will start to show up middle of second year. All guesses of course, but, by then the hype will die down.

blksn8k

Established Member
I'm not about to suggest this will work today but when I bought my 99 Cobra there was a similar problem. It was an all-new body style, the first with IRS, etc., etc. Some SVT dealers, including the one closest to me, were asking $2000 over invoice. So, I went to the Autobytel website and asked for a quote. None of the dealers in my area were in that program but a couple in the Columbus area were. One of them quoted me $1200 under invoice. I went back to my local dealer and said "Hey, I want to buy a Cobra from you but I will go to Columbus if you cannot match their price." Guess what? He matched their price. I placed my order the same day and took delivery on March 31st 1999.

broeli

Established Member
Do you mean under/over MSRP? Invoice is significantly lower than the msrp/sticker price

Intruder

Established Member
The problem with waiting that I have yet to hear is the small, however important fact, that the car is depreciating even while sitting on the lot as it ages. The lucky ones will be driving a O7' Shelby at MSRP in June of 06'. That will be the best deal one will ever be able to get on this car, at any time, unless you know someone who knows someone who can get you this car below MSRP in June. They will be in the minority. The worst deal is saving a couple of grand on a car that is near the end of the model year. It may be new to you, but everyone else considers it old and its suffered the deprectiation hit, eliminating any saving you may have thought you had. It's these people, that lose the most in the end.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
:shrug:
Intruder said:
The problem with waiting that I have yet to hear is the small, however important fact, that the car is depreciating even while sitting on the lot as it ages. The lucky ones will be driving a O7' Shelby at MSRP in June of 06'. That will be the best deal one will ever be able to get on this car, at any time, unless you know someone who knows someone who can get you this car below MSRP in June. They will be in the minority. The worst deal is saving a couple of grand on a car that is near the end of the model year. It may be new to you, but everyone else considers it old and its suffered the deprectiation hit, eliminating any saving you may have thought you had. It's these people, that lose the most in the end.

:read:
Can anyone explain what he meant? :shrug:

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I think he said that waiting to buy the car late in the model year is not as good of a deal because the car has depreciated by that time as it gets closer to the next model year. That would only be an issue if you needed to sell it right after you buy it. Signing the papers to buy the car causes more depreciation than time. Once it is used, it drops significantly

crazyhorse06

Established Member
03snake said:
Now that we basically know what we are getting for about what its gonna cost, does anyone think we'll be able to find any for MSRP? This car is growing on me hourly, I think I need to swap the Black 03 for a solid Black 07.
SVT themselves say they are planning to make 7000-9000 cars this year and up to 13,000 is possible (it is over a year run - June 06 to Aug '07).

If you can be patient, then you should be able to walk in and order one or buy it right off the lot eventually. There will not be 13,000 people willing to pay over sticker for this car.

mrGT

Established Member
crazyhorse06,

You are absolutely right.....only those wanting one NOW will pay over MSRP......and you can rest assured, those that are willing aren't worried about money at all.

mrGT

Established Member
On another note, a gracious poster on this board who is buying his Shelby at MSRP from a dealer that doesn't believe in "MSRP Plus", gave me the name and number of that dealer. I called and found that the poster was indeed in line to get one this year, but if I wanted to put my name on the list, I would be waiting from 8-10 years for the list to get to me. I'm sure there are other such dealers in the land, but no one has offered up any names....I guess these posters fear losing their place in line....but I have run across a lot more dealers willing to go MSRP Plus than not.

This same phenomenon applies to most luxury and specialty cars as well. If you buy when they first come out, you pay MSRP (or more in some cases, some cases less)....if you wait 6 months, you can save some money. So in the case of cars, waiting will always save you money.

Last edited:

mrGT

Established Member
Here's some interesting data on the cost of Mustangs in 1970 that I found amusing......

Convertible, std $3,025
Coupe, standard $2,721
Coupe, Grandé, std $2,926
Fastback, standard $2,771
Fastback, Mach 1, std $3,271
Special, Boss 302 $3,720
Special, Boss 429 $4,928
GT350 Convertible $4,753
GT500 Convertible $5,027
GT350 Fastback $4,434
GT500 Fastback $4,709

I found it rather interesting that the GT500 cost 44% more than the Mach 1.

Strangely enuff, using an 06 Mustang GT at $28,000 and adding 44% would make the 06 GT500 right at $40,320.....verily interesting!

Last edited:

91svtbird

Established Member
mrGT said:
Here's some interesting data on the cost of Mustangs in 1970 that I found amusing......

Convertible, std $3,025
Coupe, standard $2,721
Coupe, Grandé, std $2,926
Fastback, standard $2,771
Fastback, Mach 1, std $3,271
Special, Boss 302 $3,720
Special, Boss 429 $4,928
GT350 Convertible $4,753
GT500 Convertible $5,027
GT350 Fastback $4,434
GT500 Fastback $4,709

I found it rather interesting that the GT500 cost 44% more than the Mach 1.

Strangely enuff, using an 06 Mustang GT at $28,000 and adding 44% would make the 06 GT500 right at $40,320.....verily interesting!

.[/QUOTE

Great post ! VERY INTERESTING INDEED!

Krazy4u2

Established Member
I've enjoyed everyone's quick wit on this forum for awhile now and have read almost all the posts. Soo I thought I might regester -up . HERE GO'S---> ok, so I got sucked in by a dealer, I put a 10k non-ref. deposit on a Shelby in september, msrp, production numbers, final concept unknown ( looking at the car in pic's , It's beautifullll) AND I have to lay out 15k on top of msrp AND I still want the stereo & Leather upgrade...............OK call me ignorant,or money just burning a hole in my head, but I love this car , Lightning could strike me at any moment ( or run over-me) . AHHH what the He!!, I 've just got to have one...... The dealer said they would get a hold of me in late Jan. to chose color and if any upgrades that might be avalible. So in the meantime you all can take swipes at my bad financial planning. :burn:

Last edited:

mrGT

Established Member
Krazy4u2,

I wouldn't call you foolish....I would do the same, if I could. But get out your "thick skin" suit, because there will more than likely be some that just can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread