MSRP......possible?

mrGT

Established Member
Just to finish up my early Shelby findings, here are the 69-70 production numbers

Shelby GT350 Convertible…………………..194
Shelby GT500 Convertible…………………..335
Shelby GT350 Fastback………………………935
Shelby GT500 Fastback……………………1,536
Shelby GT500 Fastback Hertz Car………152
Shelby Special Models……………………………3

Total 1969-70 Shelbys
(includes 789 updated 1970 models)…..3,155

It's easy to see why they are worth so much today. Ford is planning on making a hell of lot more than 3,155 of the new Shelby's.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
For those who don't remember, here's how it all went down with the Terminator...

May 2002: Terminator sales begin!

This was the best Mustang ever. Everybody wanted one. People were on dealer lists and hoped for one at MSRP. Full sticker was the best deal you could hope for. No test drives without a deposit! :nonono:

FLASH BACK TO JUNE 2002
FLASH BACK TO JULY 2002

November 2002: Deals are starting to get better.

6 months have passed and people are now getting deals between invoice and sticker. Full MSRP sales are becoming a thing of the past.

FLASH BACK TO NOVEMBER 2002

April 2003: The market begins to soften.

One year after it hit the streets, the Terminator market is starting to show signs of weakness. X-Plan and A-Plan deals are becoming fairly common.

FLASH BACK TO APRIL 2003

September 2003: Prices collapse.

Terminators are sitting on dealer lots collecting dust. The supply of buyers for a $30K+ Mustang has dried up...yet the 2004s will be rolling into showrooms in a couple of months. SVT comes out of nowhere with the first rebates ($2,500) ever offered on a Cobra over Labor Day weekend.

The "$29,000" Terminator coupe was born!!! :eek: :bowdown:

FLASH BACK TO SEPTEMBER 2003

The real question is.... will history repeat itself?????? :shrug: :poke: :-D

mrGT

Established Member
And the answer without a doubt is "YES IT WILL!".....the real question is "How long before the demand for this car dies?" That will determine the length of wait to get it at a price that one can come back on this board and brag about getting one at or below invoice.....and believe me they will.

broeli

Established Member
If the coupe does turn out to be "mid" 40's I think Ford will have a tough time selling them once the initial hit is over...after 6 months to a year. The 03/04's turned out to be a tough sale after a year and were selling for $5000 under msrp. I can't imagine Ford would bring out the Shelby with a sticker $10k over the 04's. :( The thing needs to be under $40k..

mrGT

Established Member
The only ones that will be happy about a $45 grand Shelby will be those that were willing to pay the price. Ford will not flood the lots with Shelby's they can't sell and this will make the Shelby a rare breed in the years to come. I know if I could buy one, I would want Ford to stop production as soon as possible.....

I honestly think that the "bare" Shelby coupe will be under $40 as Ford has been promising that from day one. Now the options may will push it into the low $40s. The 'bert will probably be mid-$40s.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
mrGT said:
And the answer without a doubt is "YES IT WILL!".....
:thumbsup: :beer:

...the real question is "How long before the demand for this car dies?"
My guess is it will be between 6-12 months before that happens...just like the Terminators (unless Ford ends up producing 5,000 instead of 10,000).

...one can come back on this board and brag about getting one at or below invoice.....and believe me they will.
Yes...and the guys who paid MSRP will then be bitching that GT500 resale stinks. :lol1:

mrGT

Established Member
(unless Ford ends up producing 5,000 instead of 10,000).
As soon as I get one, I will want Ford to stop production as soon as possible. Don't think for one minute that Ford will produce these things to sell at a loss.....if they've learned anything at all from the last 5 years.

Yes...and the guys who paid MSRP will then be bitching that GT500 resale stinks.

They might, but my guess is that they know that already, so they will have nothing to complain about. I still contend that those that are paying MSRP Plus are not worried about resale at all. Those will be the ones that really don't have any money worries.

drmustang

Banned
This thread has some of the most sensible, informative material that I've seen.

This is a "must read" for anyone who is considering a GT500. This scenario always plays out. It is a matter of when it will happen and not the possibility of it happening. The same market price collapse was seen with every hot car that hit the market, previous generation Cobras, ZO6s, Thunderbirds, Miatas, 05 GTs, PT Cruisers, Mach1s, and on. There are too many to list. The prices crashed on every one of these. It allways works this way.

This car is unfortunately going to be too costly for the majority of 20 somethingers. Don't expect to see the boomers to make the market tight either. Most of them allready have 2 or 3 car payments, mortgage payments, obscene high interest credit card debts, and kids near college age, in college, or just out. Most of the guys I know in that age group are in far worse financial shape than the average 20 year old and wouldn't have a chance of getting a loan on one of these.

Use your head, learn from previous mistakes that others have made. Anyone who feels that they can't wait for the market to fall down simply needs to grow up.

Krazy4u2

Established Member
My family bought a 57 t-bird ( the value went down, of course ) and now the car has been appraised for 74k. we bought a shelby in 68 ( we saw this car go down in value also) and it is appraised over 125k. now as I mentioned before( previous post) I went and spent way over msrp on the new shelby. Yea i hope they don't produce too many, but they more than likley will. But I will never sell the car and after the value drops for a quarter century, my kids might actually have another great car in thier future, as for me, I get to tear up the road with my new shelby and have some fun.........I aready own homes & stocks, now I'm just an idiot that wants a new shelby and getting it. :xpl:

mrGT

Established Member
Krazy4u5,

I feel the same as you. I wished I would have kept my Boss, but marriages and divorces took it's toll. I never cared for the any Mustang until the 05s hit the road and I jumped in one. I love the retro look.....I should, I grew up in the 60's. I really want a Shelby....and my heirs will have to decide what to do with it.....but they won't have to worry about taking a loss.....they'll get the car for free.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
mrGT said:
I still contend that those that are paying MSRP Plus are not worried about resale at all. Those will be the ones that really don't have any money worries.
You'd think that would be the case. There has been a LOT of complaining about "poor resale" value in the Terminator forums (like THIS thread).

Many early Terminator owners gladly paid MSRP assuming that everyone would buy their cars for roughly the same price. Some Terminator owners ended up selling their cars within the first 18-24 months of ownership (for financial or whatever reasons). More than a few people paid $35K, only to turn around and sell the car 18 months later (when a new one could be bought for $29K). There were people upside-down on Cobras they had been making payments on for almost 2 years! :uh oh:

Bottom line for GT500 buyers:This isn't the car to buy on emotion or impulse. If the GT-500 is your dream car, make darn sure you can afford it... especially if you're paying MSRP. If history is any indicator, there's a good chance you'll be taking a big depreciation bath if you have to liquidate the car within the first 2 years of ownership.

Krazy4u2

Established Member
Bottom line for GT500 buyers:This isn't the car to buy on emotion or impulse. If the GT-500 is your dream car, make darn sure you can afford it... especially if you're paying MSRP. If history is any indicator, there's a good chance you'll be taking a big depreciation bath if you have to liquidate the car within the first 2 years of ownership.[/QUOTE]

well said...... :read:

mrGT

Established Member
Top Fuel,

Those Terminators buyers that are complaining were probably young guns who's money supply was somewhat limited. What I'm saying is that those that are paying MSRP Plus are the well healed and a loss of $10 grand isn't going to make or break them. They just want the car. It's only those that are stretching their pocket books tha will feel the pinch if, indeed, Ford over produces the Shelby. And I think that's what went wrong with Terminator....Ford over estimated it's purchasing base. They thought there were more people out there wanting them then there were, so they had to sell them at a loss just to get rid of them.....Ford made little to no profit on those sells. My guess is there are a lot of Terminator owners that wouldn't be owning one if they had to pay at or near MSRP. I'm hoping that Ford learned a lesson from that fiasco.....I'm a stockholder. Like I said, in today's economy, I can't see Ford making the same mistake again....if they do, they need to change out their upper management pronto.

I will agree that there will be some that will get to buy Shelbys at reduced price, but I wouldn't be counting on thousands of them out there at invoice. Unless Ford just plain screws up in forecasting their market. Shame on them if they do.

But then what do I know....I'm just an old fart trying to make it to the end of the race.....standing up.

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
:thumbsup: :beer:

My guess is it will be between 6-12 months before that happens...just like the Terminators (unless Ford ends up producing 5,000 instead of 10,000).

Yes...and the guys who paid MSRP will then be bitching that GT500 resale stinks. :lol1:
My guess is a little longer than terminators. This car will bring in some new buyers. The guys that never could afford to buy a Shelby in the 60s. But, it will normalize.

mrGT

Established Member
The guys that never could afford to buy a Shelby in the 60s
Never under estimate how many Baby Boomers fall into that role. I know a lot of guys that wanted my Boss, but just couldn't.....now they are lawyers, doctors, engineers, and the like....in other words, rich.

blksn8k

Established Member
drmustang said:
This car is unfortunately going to be too costly for the majority of 20 somethingers. Don't expect to see the boomers to make the market tight either. Most of them allready have 2 or 3 car payments, mortgage payments, obscene high interest credit card debts, and kids near college age, in college, or just out. Most of the guys I know in that age group are in far worse financial shape than the average 20 year old and wouldn't have a chance of getting a loan on one of these.

I'm not so sure I agree with all your assumptions about us Boomers. Many in this age bracket are beginning to have extra cash that they can use for their second childhoods. As you stated, the kids are out of the house and out of school in some cases. We are at or near our highest earning potential. We have learned a few things about investments and car buying. If you disagree just go to the next Corvette club meeting in your area and check out the average age of the members.
For me personally I have not even had a car payment in over a year, I pay my CC bill off every month and the house will be paid off in a couple more years. Unfortunately, even though I could easily afford the GT500 it just hasn't tripped my trigger yet. I must be getting old... :D

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
mrGT said:
...there are a lot of Terminator owners that wouldn't be owning one if they had to pay at or near MSRP...
Absolutely! I am living proof. :-D

I never considered a Terminator when they first came out. $35,000 for a Mustang? :uh oh: That's was too rich for me...and I fit Ford's buyer demographic perfectly. It wasn't until the car dropped below $30K that I decided to even look at one.

There's almost no chance I'll buy a GT500. Not because it's a bad car, but because the price will be above what I would be comfortable paying. When the price point approaches $40K, I start thinking C6.

that's what went wrong with Terminator....Ford over estimated it's purchasing base.
I agree. I would guess that no more than half of the 13,476 '03 Cobras produced sold for anywhere near MSRP.

The rumors put first year GT500 production in the 10,000 range. That's what Ford projected for 2003 Terminator production. My opinion is that there aren't 10,000 buyers willing to pay at/near MSRP for a GT500. But what do I know... :shrug: :)

badlx

msrp

I am in San Diego and put my name in at two local dealerships in March of 05.

I am # 1 at one dealereship, but they wouldn't agree to MSRP, so frankly the # 1 slot doesn't mean that much. There's so much money in this town I am sure someone will offer 50K over sticker and drive it off.

The other dealership is Drew Ford. I am near the top of their waiting list, and have it in writing form their SVT / Fleet manager that I get the car at MSRP. Mind you they already had a list in March of 05. I will more than likely end up waiting for this car to arrive. I can't say enough about this dealership, and the man I am dealing with. I believe his name is Joel. He even helped me sell my 03 SVT eventhough there was nothing in it for himself. Rare to find a person and company like this today.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
mrGT said:
As soon as I get one, I will want Ford to stop production as soon as possible. Don't think for one minute that Ford will produce these things to sell at a loss.....if they've learned anything at all from the last 5 years.

They might, but my guess is that they know that already, so they will have nothing to complain about. I still contend that those that are paying MSRP Plus are not worried about resale at all. Those will be the ones that really don't have any money worries.

MR GT, thats not how it works..
Ford is only concenred with how many units they move.. They dont care as much about what the Dealers are selling them for.. After 6-8 months, when the dealers start selling them at Sticker, Ford will be making just as much money off of them, as when the dealers were marking them up 5-10 thousand..

And in the end, when Ford actually gives MFGR incentives, Ford still makes money off of them as well.. They very rearely sell them at a loss...

Anyone who pays over retail for these cars is a fool, and a vicitim of the hype.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread