MSRP......possible?

91svtbird

Established Member
Purvis said:
MR GT, thats not how it works..
Ford is only concenred with how many units they move.. They dont care as much about what the Dealers are selling them for.. After 6-8 months, when the dealers start selling them at Sticker, Ford will be making just as much money off of them, as when the dealers were marking them up 5-10 thousand..

And in the end, when Ford actually gives MFGR incentives, Ford still makes money off of them as well.. They very rearely sell them at a loss...

Anyone who pays over retail for these cars is a fool, and a vicitim of the hype.
I agree! It is to Fords benifit if the dealers sell these cars at sticker because they will sell a whole lot more that way.To me everyone wins in the long run, Ford,the dealer and the customer is happier.Greed is always bad and affects more people than you think. :fm:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
91svtbird said:
I agree! It is to Fords benifit if the dealers sell these cars at sticker because they will sell a whole lot more that way.To me everyone wins in the long run, Ford,the dealer and the customer is happier.Greed is always bad and affects more people than you think. :fm:
i also agree. i would think the last thing that ford wants is to have a reputation for having greedy dealers, gouging the public, everytime there is a special stang coming out, a la cobra R, 03 cobra(first runs) too bad they can't step in and prevent that from happening. but that's free enterprise. :shrug:

mrGT

Established Member
Okay guys, you win. Wait for your Shelby till you can get it for $15 grand under invoice.....I really don't care. I have the money to spend, so I don't mind paying over MSRP. I will never take a loss on it, because I will never sell it.....my heirs will and they won't lose either, as they will be getting the car for free. But as a Ford Stockholder, I want Ford to do the right things to make my stock go up so that I can actually pay for my Shelby with the profits off of the stock. If that means making 50,000 Shelby's and selling them below invoice....so be it, AS LONG AS they drive the stock prices up.

Last edited:

venams03

Established Member
The rumors put first year GT500 production in the 10,000 range. That's what Ford projected for 2003 Terminator production. My opinion is that there aren't 10,000 buyers willing to pay at/near MSRP for a GT500. But what do I know... :shrug: :)[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been saying all along..

Sandgnat

Established Member
Low 40K would not be a surprise; BUT with the mark-up. Three new C6 Z06s just rolled onto a local lot. How does MSRP +30K sound for setting the pricing stage. If a C6 will bring that sort of spending craze, I'd bet many dealers holding GT500s will try to cash in as well. At least until they get tired of seeing it not move.

cobraracer46

Banned
:bowdown:
Top_Fuel said:
For those who don't remember, here's how it all went down with the Terminator...

May 2002: Terminator sales begin!

This was the best Mustang ever. Everybody wanted one. People were on dealer lists and hoped for one at MSRP. Full sticker was the best deal you could hope for. No test drives without a deposit! :nonono:

FLASH BACK TO JUNE 2002
FLASH BACK TO JULY 2002

November 2002: Deals are starting to get better.

6 months have passed and people are now getting deals between invoice and sticker. Full MSRP sales are becoming a thing of the past.

FLASH BACK TO NOVEMBER 2002

April 2003: The market begins to soften.

One year after it hit the streets, the Terminator market is starting to show signs of weakness. X-Plan and A-Plan deals are becoming fairly common.

FLASH BACK TO APRIL 2003

September 2003: Prices collapse.

Terminators are sitting on dealer lots collecting dust. The supply of buyers for a $30K+ Mustang has dried up...yet the 2004s will be rolling into showrooms in a couple of months. SVT comes out of nowhere with the first rebates ($2,500) ever offered on a Cobra over Labor Day weekend.

The "$29,000" Terminator coupe was born!!! :eek: :bowdown:

FLASH BACK TO SEPTEMBER 2003

The real question is.... will history repeat itself?????? :shrug: :poke: :-D
:bowdown: :bowdown:
Hell yea! history will repeat itself! who could forget the 03-04 Cobras? or better yet, what about the 2002 T-birds? :lol1: The T bird was a classic example of a very hyped up feeding feeding frenzy that eventually nose dived real hard. Yep, the Cobras and t-birds were commanding a substantial mark up and there were plenty of stupid mother f u c k e r s paying outlandish mark ups and then a year later, the same cars were collecting dust in dealer lots. The same scenario will play it's self out with the Shelby as with any car, always has, always will. You guys that put down deposits on the shelby are f u c k i n nuts! You deposit guys are going to cry when your hot shelby goes down the toilet in value. The guys who are smart with their money will wait at least 2 years for things to cool down before making a purchase.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
But if theres truth in the 638rwhp thread, how will this change the overall desire of the car. Figure the first units hit the street June/July. First one to have the basic bolt-ons comes a month later. If the HP is there (638rwhp), I could see sales go through the roof. But the argument is still the same as it was for the 03. I don't think we thought with basic bolt-ons we were going to see the increase we saw back in Sep 02. We were promised 390BHP. What we got was around 425BHP. The we added exhuast/pulley/CAI/and tune, BAM, over 525BHP. Of course, sales didn't take off, they fissled out, hence the down pricing. Just throwing some thoughts out there.

cobraracer46

Banned
03snake said:
But if theres truth in the 638rwhp thread, how will this change the overall desire of the car.
It wont do shit to jack up the value of the car because it will tank in value once it leavs the lot. More than anything, swapping the blower pully will degrade the value of the car even more because the warranty will get
f u c k ed.

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
mrGT said:
Never under estimate how many Baby Boomers fall into that role. I know a lot of guys that wanted my Boss, but just couldn't.....now they are lawyers, doctors, engineers, and the like....in other words, rich.
I would have NEVER purchased the previous model Mustang or Cobra. "To Me" it was kinda rice looking, like all the foriegn cars comming out at the time, same mold.
Now this new model - I gotta have one! It is a Mustang.
(Of course I remember my mom driving a 1966 mustang fastback when it was new. So you have to understand where my head is at.)
And I understand guys that are 20 years younger than me, that have no reference as to what I am saying.
So long story short - You will see more people purchasing this model. I agree.

chuckstang

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
:bowdown:
:bowdown: :bowdown:
Hell yea! history will repeat itself! who could forget the 03-04 Cobras? or better yet, what about the 2002 T-birds? :lol1: The T bird was a classic example of a very hyped up feeding feeding frenzy that eventually nose dived real hard. Yep, the Cobras and t-birds were commanding a substantial mark up and there were plenty of stupid mother f u c k e r s paying outlandish mark ups and then a year later, the same cars were collecting dust in dealer lots. The same scenario will play it's self out with the Shelby as with any car, always has, always will. You guys that put down deposits on the shelby are f u c k i n nuts! You deposit guys are going to cry when your hot shelby goes down the toilet in value. The guys who are smart with their money will wait at least 2 years for things to cool down before making a purchase.

Well if you wait that long it will no longer be a new car. I for one would want it new but that doesnt mean Im going to be out there this June paying over msrp either

mrGT

Established Member
I gotta keep asking...I just gotta......are any of you that keep calling those that pay more than MSRP "stupid, crazy, dumb mf'r, etc".....millionaires?

Users who are viewing this thread