MT-82 Whine

alex3610

Established Member
I think I'm gonna try the dealer first for the hell of it and see what they say. Whether it comes back with a new trans or nothing at all I think the Amsoil and XL-18 are going in. The fluid change will have no impact on the warranty going ahead, right?

darreng505

Established Member
In most cases, I'd refrain from mixing any additive into Amsoil, however, in this case....it performs.

Other Mustang Forum members have raved about the quieting effects of XL-18, no matter what lubricant was in the transmission. Think in terms of how friction modifier reduces hypoid gear noise. This has a similar effect.

Here we go again with the pseudo-science and hearsay....

Readers beware!! Do your homework before 'fiddling' with oils and mixtures and following unverified advice.

Last edited:

alex3610

Established Member
Here we go again with the pseudo-science and hearsay....

Readers beware!! Do your homework before 'fiddling' with oils and mixtures and following unverified advice.

You do raise a good point here. I'm gonna assume there has been no laboratory testing of Amsoil + XL-18 nor do we have any anecdotal evidence that it is safe from guys that have put 300 passes & 100k miles on it yet.

That being said, I just stumbled across this: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf

I found it interesting that Ford recommends the DCT fluid for the MT-82 now. Is that how it has always been or is that a recent change? I'm starting to think maybe try DCT+XL-18 if that is what Ford is recommending. Thoughts?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Oh boy, here we go again. So it's OK to use XL-18 in DCT, but not in anything else? It's a shame that you don't know.....DCT is a light viscosity Synchromesh.

You may want to ignore Darren, he protests everything about lubricants in his car. If it's not Motorcraft, don't use it. That pretty much sums him up.

DCT is a good fluid, seems to perform well. However, Ford's price tag is a huge turn off. Overpriced! DCT + XL-18 is a great choice, but you'd never see me pay for it.

That being said, I just stumbled across this: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf

I found it interesting that Ford recommends the DCT fluid for the MT-82 now. Is that how it has always been or is that a recent change? I'm starting to think maybe try DCT+XL-18 if that is what Ford is recommending. Thoughts?

That change was in late 2011 to combat all shifting, grinding issues in the MT82.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Hey Darren, I'm swapping my Torque converter out Saturday, using all Amsoil ATFLV fluid. Is your OCD kicking in yet?

Not yet bro. But I'll look for the 'Burned my TC up. What next?' thread and then we can laugh about it over beers. Deal? :beer:

Last edited:

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
You guys and your granny autos. Makes a sports car sooo boring.

I wish I woulda bought an auto... I'll be swapping to one as soon as I have boost on my plate :dancenana:

alex3610

Established Member
Still no real consensus here on what to do. I think I'm still gonna try the dealer for the hell of it, maybe I can get the DCT and XL-18 out of them for free. Or maybe if I hit the lottery I can do the Magnum XL swap...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Not yet bro. But I'll look for the 'Burned my TC up. What next?' thread and then we can laugh about it over beers. Deal? :beer:

OEM Torque Converter is already whining. Guess what, with stock Motorcraft Mercon LV.

Circle D 2B billet converter is going in this weekend, assuming the weather is tolerable. We have a tropical storm heading our way.

Users who are viewing this thread