MT82 Internals

dbrford2003

Established Member
Cheapest I found was $2500 plus shipping with possible core. $1900 doesn't sound terrible if they are out there for that.

turd burglar

Established Member
Liberty never got back to me when I emailed them awhile ago about reinforcing the mt82 so they lost any potential business with me there. Also, I've heard of a few xl magnum horror stories where the trans let go and tremec and the distributor told the guys to pound salt. My trans is still my one hold back from getting a damn tune on this thing

dbrford2003

Established Member
I dropped the fluid out today and it was very clean, no metal flakes or anything. The fluid was BG Syncro Shift II with 8000 miles on it. I refilled with Amsoil MTG, Slight change in the whine but still very noticeable.

Going out of town next week so will drop transmission out and tear it down or send it off for rebuild the following week. Still leaning towards ripping it apart and seeing what is up with it. Never really messed with one before so actually would be a good learning experience or an expensive learning experience...either way I need a transmission, I can't drive it sounding like it does.

dbrford2003

Established Member
Interested in what you find and any part numbers you'd like to post. Hope it's a simple fix!

I will definitely post part numbers and pics etc... Every part is available for the transmission. I am hoping it is simple as well but I never have that kind of luck.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I dropped the fluid out today and it was very clean, no metal flakes or anything. The fluid was BG Syncro Shift II with 8000 miles on it. I refilled with Amsoil MTG, Slight change in the whine but still very noticeable.

Going out of town next week so will drop transmission out and tear it down or send it off for rebuild the following week. Still leaning towards ripping it apart and seeing what is up with it. Never really messed with one before so actually would be a good learning experience or an expensive learning experience...either way I need a transmission, I can't drive it sounding like it does.

Rebuilding transmissions is scary on paper but it's really not that bad. I broke my TR6060's output shaft in my vette and instead paying $2000 for a rebuild, I opted to buy the parts and do it myself. I had a buddy assist but overall, it wasn't that bad. You'll likely need some specialty tools and a press, but that should be about it. Everything you should need can be purchased at Harbor Freight and Ace Hardware.

Take lots of pictures.

Good luck!

D.T.R

Established Member
So you're planning and rebuilding your transmission with the same OEM parts ?
Don't you think the same issue will most likely reappear again ?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
So you're planning and rebuilding your transmission with the same OEM parts ?
Don't you think the same issue will most likely reappear again ?

Not necessarily. He'll need to check preload and stuff with the way the transmission sits now and check what the book calls for. It's possible it's a little loose and failed prematurely as a result.

Does ford offer the service manual for the MT82?

dbrford2003

Established Member
Not necessarily. He'll need to check preload and stuff with the way the transmission sits now and check what the book calls for. It's possible it's a little loose and failed prematurely as a result.

Does ford offer the service manual for the MT82?

I am trying to get my hands on a manual now, I have a friend that is a shop foreman at a dealership. Really can't do anything without a manual.

turd burglar

Established Member
Instructions? We don't need no stinking instructions. Not like the little bastards who put these trannies together follow the instructions usually it seems like lol

dbrford2003

Established Member
Alright, decided to pick up a recently rebuilt MT-82 to throw in the car from a member here. Planning on either sending my current transmission off for upgrades or tearing into and rebuilding myself as backup.

Users who are viewing this thread