MTBSully's 04 TR Cobra On3 FF Turbo Build

MTBSully

Established Member
Update:

I need to just bite the bullet and pull the drivers side valve cover to reset the gasket. I must have pinched it installing the timing cover. Cannot get it to stop leaking at a 1 drip per second rate and i don't want to start a fire!:burn:

I started work this week so that will have to wait until the weekend. Anyways, got the correct 11psi large red wastegate springs in the wastegates. Compared to the small green springs that were in there

null_zpsf0b32449.jpg

Also, not sure if it is the turbo I am running or what but my downpipe didn't seem to "reach" down far enough to line up with the midpipe correctly. Here is as close as I could get it while touching the swaybar mount. Would have never sealed with the included band clamps
2013-07-08_20-01-13_528_zpsab033575.jpg

So, I had my buddy tig about 2.5" onto the straight section. Fits perfect now!
null_zpsf85b6ffb.jpg

null_zpscfd2b9d2.jpg

(didn't care that it wasn't stainless since it is covered by heat wrap anyways. I threw some paint on it just to prevent the welds from rusting)

Another short video of the car idling open downpipe
th_BC3D128A-D723-44E7-8B11-F426EA349E30-2919-0000042D148807C2_zps0861edeb.jpg

Ordered my AEM tru boost and a turbo blanket. Hopefully more videos to come this weekend!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
My passenger side valve cover has a leak in the rear, but I'm too lazy to fix it right now because it's such a PITA. It drips some oil, but I can't see a fire hazard there. Been driving it since June like that, will fix over the winter.

MTBSully

Established Member
My passenger side valve cover has a leak in the rear, but I'm too lazy to fix it right now because it's such a PITA. It drips some oil, but I can't see a fire hazard there. Been driving it since June like that, will fix over the winter.

Mine drips right onto the drivers side header, which also happens to be heat wrapped so I don't want to risk it.

I've heard the passengers side is a breeze!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Mine drips right onto the drivers side header, which also happens to be heat wrapped so I don't want to risk it.

I've heard the passengers side is a breeze!
Neither side is a breeze as I had to do a R&R with both sides while the motor was in the car. I can think of about 10,000 other things I'd rather do than repair that stupid gasket. I have forward facing headers so I guess it's less a concern for me. Good luck

MTBSully

Established Member
Neither side is a breeze as I had to do a R&R with both sides while the motor was in the car. I can think of about 10,000 other things I'd rather do than repair that stupid gasket. I have forward facing headers so I guess it's less a concern for me. Good luck

I do to, but my leak is at the front:bash:

dark-knight

Established Member
Passenger sdlide valvecover isn't to bad. The driver side is the pita cause I have to drop that side of the kmember a little bit to clear the hydrobooster.

MTBSully

Established Member
Got the valve cover off, what a pain in the ass. Anyways, turns out the gasket is ripped so i couldn't reuse it. All the parts stores were closed today so i guess i will have to wait till i head back home next weekend. Anyways, did install my tru boost and did some other wiring. Also finished hooking up the rest of the exhaust. Now I need to grab a gasket on my way up next weekend, throw it on and hopefully drive this bad charlie. Onto the pics

null_zps0a611dbb.jpg

Dremel was useful for this install
null_zps4536e26c.jpg

null_zpsd2e77594.jpg

Decided i liked the white face better (matches the factory gauges better)
null_zps812bc38c.jpg

null_zpsaa060cec.jpg

null_zps004a353a.jpg

Exhaust:
null_zpsb6f6cb85.jpg

null_zpsca254180.jpg

null_zpsd631193c.jpg

infidel0910

Established Member
Lookin good. That's a lot of work. Looking forward to the finished result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

itSSlow98

Established Member
Coming along great, you did put rtv where the timing cover and valve cover touch right. At that little crease where they meet.

MTBSully

Established Member
Lookin good. That's a lot of work. Looking forward to the finished result.
Yeah much bigger project then I had originally anticipated, but hopefully will be worth it once i get into boost:beer:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Coming along great, you did put rtv where the timing cover and valve cover touch right. At that little crease where they meet.

Yes I put RTV in those spots as well as down by the oil pan and where the aluminum heads meet the iron block. It was only leaking at the one spot where the gasket was ripped from when i put the TC on. Must have pinched it

MTBSully

Established Member
Got the valve cover back on this weekend and actually drove the car about a 1/4 of a mile! haha. Anyone know how much vacuum these things pull at idle? Im not at the car so I can't look at my boost gauge. I need to know because I think that I have too stiff of a BOV spring installed. Every time I let off the gas the turbo "fluttered" which I have heard is not good for it.

Getting ready to replace valve cover gasket:
null_zpsa49bca52.jpg

Also put on my SVT center caps!
null_zpsad24698e.jpg

Outside!:

null_zpse8a2d60d.jpg

Clutch ready to go in:
null_zps0d9400da.jpg

Another idle video. Exhaust is straight back to Borla stingers, and Im digging how it sounds so far. Might add a cutout in the near future as well

th_13C475EB-567C-4AC0-9DB7-A7CAFF85FE1B-287-0000001CBC3ABEC0_zps4e91daa2.jpg

It would appear I have a small exhaust leak where the DS header meets the merge pipe. I am going to buy an RPS V-band and a OBX gasket and hopefully that clears that up. Couldnt drive the car very much becuase it would appear I have another oil leak on the DS of the motor that is leaking onto the header and it was smoking a lot. No idea where it is coming from though I can't seem to see any leaks

And here is the reason why I don't get much done on the weekends anymore lol
null_zps5c7d2a2a.jpg

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
With stock cams, I pull 18" vacuum at idle. I have a Tial 50mm BOV, and I remember cutting the spring a little on it to get it right.

MTBSully

Established Member
Small update:

Ordered the correct BOV spring and also moved all of my toys to my apartment so now I can work on the car after work and stuff as opposed to driving 2hrs north to my parents house in NH. Also ordered RPS 2.5" V-band Clamps to fix the small leak I have. The leak could be due to install error/not enough copper rtv, but I figured if I am taking it apart, i might as well be sure I am using the best V-bands. So I will be doing that later this week.

My turbo blanket also came in so i will be installing that as well. Anyways, a few pics to keep you guys entertained.

null_zps734be9c2.jpg

All loaded up!
null_zps2721c82a.jpg

null_zps1b1a2ba7.jpg

null_zpsc8bfe3e8.jpg

1/2 unloaded:
null_zpse8059998.jpg

2/2 unloaded:
null_zps73c71db3.jpg

The car and the bike are both filthy so hopefully I will get to wash them this week as well.

MTBSully

Established Member
Small update, been working on the car an hour or two after work each day this week and got some stuff done.

Modified my bumper support (bought a 4.5" angle grinder and cut it up, neighbors love me). With the added room I was able to easily fit my 4" intercooler as well as found a much better and more hidden spot for the PS cooler. Will have more pictures of this later.
null_zps9aba11b8.jpg

Also rerouted my oil lines and changed the location for the remote filter to get it out of the way of the fender liner. Mounted it on the bumper support.
null_zpse8fff029.jpg

null_zps75e65bc3.jpg

null_zps7075f8a7.jpg

on3 V-band compared to RPS. Notice the difference in the clamping area. Looks like the on3 was just too wide. Maybe it stretched, who knows. The new RPS v-band is installed and i will be firing the car up tomorrow, checking for leaks and hopefully driving it some more!
null_zpsc5335e86.jpg

null_zps3e1658f8.jpg

Also installed the correct (longer/stiffer BOV spring)
null_zpsda9a98ea.jpg

More pictures to come soon

MTBSully

Established Member
Very nice build thread! When is it hitting the dyno?

Hopefully in the next two weeks. Once I can drive it around and all the bugs are taken care of i need to toss in the RXT clutch and get some break in miles on it.

Sealed up the hotside last night. Waiting for the RTV to dry today and hopefully take it for a drive and let all the shit burn off of the header wrap.

SiCKS1D3R

.:HOLLYW666D:.
Established Member
VERY nice build/write up man :beer: , I'll be doing an On3 kit with a Precision 7675, hopefully all goes as planned.

Users who are viewing this thread