My 2012 5.0 vs new M3

bunk22

Established Member
I normally don't street race but in this case, I had to bring it. This individual has been seen a few times near my house driving like a punk in his M3, through a residential area by my wife actually. So today, on my way into work I see this blue M3 coming up the highway, passes me doing probably 110 to 120 by the speed at which he passed me. I was doing about 85 but no big deal. I recognize the car as he is a civilian maintainer on base. I stay behind but can increase speed a bit as the cops will probably get him first.

He slows as we both exit at same ramp, going to same place of course. He waits for me at the stop sign with a straightaway of about one-half mile. Nobody around, just 5.0 vs a 4.0. Long story short, my shifting sucked but by 4th, I have two car lengths and pulling a bit. I haven't drag raced in a few years since selling my C6. Anyway, I let him go by as the two lanes go into one. I smiled and waved. He did not look happy. It's just a race but the German speed demon of a car was owned.

No idea if his car is stock, it's a bit loud though. My car is a 3.31 geared mn6 with a C&L hot air intake, full exhaust (Kooks 1 3/4 " headers, x-pipe w/cats, cat-back) and Steeda tune.

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
lol good kill!

He had to be modded in some way

LOL @ hot air intake!

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
If you think his car was loud and you have full exhaust he had to be modded then. I've heard plenty of full exhaust coyotes and those things freakin roar lol

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

bunk22

Established Member
If you think his car was loud and you have full exhaust he had to be modded then. I've heard plenty of full exhaust coyotes and those things freakin roar lol

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

I've seen him drive before on the road and it's loud or seems loud. When he passed me on the freeway, I could hear it pretty good as he was on it. I will say my driving was not the best, I had my traction control on but not sure how much of an issue it is in the stang. I know in my C6 it could be as much as .2 and 1.5 mph in the 1/8th. I saw his car tonight when I left work, I'll find him and ask him one day as I'm curious.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Bud of mines had a M3 and most times those guys go with a ACtive Exhaust setup. They are not real loud factory, so he at least had a catback.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
I just don't understand the purpose of an M3. $62k-70k for a 3 series!! You can get a loaded '11+ 550i V8 TT for that price.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I just don't understand the purpose of an M3. $62k-70k for a 3 series!! You can get a loaded '11+ 550i V8 TT for that price.

Go drive one, then you'll understand. They are absolutely spectacular. My 2009 E92 M3 coupe was the finest "all-around" car I've ever owned. Definitely faster cars out there, but none that do so many things so well. The road feel is literally perfection.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member

Go drive one, then you'll understand. They are absolutely spectacular. My 2009 E92 M3 coupe was the finest "all-around" car I've ever owned. Definitely faster cars out there, but none that do so many things so well. The road feel is literally perfection.

THIS! You can't really compare a car to an M3. It's a special breed. It's an all around car. You can look like a respectable business man/woman on the weekdays and take clients out in luxury and go beat the hell out of it on the weekend and it won't skip a beat!

Maintenance is $$, but for what the car can do, it is well worth it if you can afford it.

ramstein

Established Member
THIS! You can't really compare a car to an M3. It's a special breed. It's an all around car. You can look like a respectable business man/woman on the weekdays and take clients out in luxury and go beat the hell out of it on the weekend and it won't skip a beat!

Maintenance is $$, but for what the car can do, it is well worth it if you can afford it.

No, all respectable business men drive 2011+ 5.o:D

Fuerza

Established Member

The M3 shares the 3 series chassis but very little else than the 328/335 platform. The drivetrain suspension transmission and engine are completely different on the M3. The E92 M3 dates back to 2008 and it has had a 5 year run without much change. Comparing it to current cars is a little one sided IMO. When the new F30 M3 arrives new life will be put back into the M3 sail.

Users who are viewing this thread