my adventure to the coyote shootout and beyond

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
So I decided to drive my car from St. Louis to MIR for the coyote shootout last monday hoping to do well in the power adder street class. Its around 900 miles or so to the track from my house so I threw the drag radials on and set out Sunday.
gassin up
2012-09-23_13-57-37_805.jpg

into Illinois on highway 270
2012-09-23_14-14-40_647.jpg

passin the stadium in Indy
2012-09-23_19-13-19_373.jpg

crossin into West Virginia, it was raining and the pic sucks
2012-09-23_23-50-08_195.jpg

I had to pull over and take 2 different naps in the mountains of West Virginia since I was a bit nervous having drag radials and 4 inch front tires, and I was tired. So I just slept in the stang at rest areas.

I actually arrived at MIR at 10:30am or so Monday just in time to wipe my car off ,let some air out of the tires and get in line for qualifying.

Did my burnout and pulled up to the line and let her go at about 5500 rpms and heard a loud clunk in the rear. Babied it down the track, off to the side of course, and when I turned off it clunked badly again. Shit! I knew I had broke something in the rear. So after talking to a few dudes I said the hell with it and pulled back up. Skipped doing a burnout figuring I'd leave easy then let it rip. Boom went the rear. We had a difficult time pushing it back since something was pretty ****ed.
car where it sat all day monday
2012-09-24_17-12-59_819.jpg

The dudes from JPC were right there willing to help me figure out the issue and get back together, unfortunately there was no saving her. So they were nice enough to leave one of their cars at the track and tow mine to their shop to see what happened.
2012-09-24_17-58-24_843.jpg

Turns out my eaton posi broke like mofo and all needed replaced
2012-09-27_10-30-42_731.jpg

2012-09-27_10-30-52_632.jpg

2012-09-27_10-33-22_791.jpg

So they got me all fixed up with a new Tru Trac , gears, and girdle and Thursday morning I picked up the car and headed over to Adam at Revolution since Shaun from AED wanted him to help dial in the timing of my car. Well, right away Adam noticed an issue. Apperently when I built this motor the week before I had put my timing chains in one tooth off. Holy shit! He , for good reason, didnt want to run the car until I fixed the issue. Crap! I was 900 miles from home. Luckily Adam and his employee Ronnie discussed it and agreed to let me pull it in so I could tear the damn thing apart and fix it. So Friday morning till about 5pm I tore it down and sure enough he was right. Friday night the dudes took me out with them to their local spot to check out some cars and i gotta say these dudes all have amazingly clean mustangs. Coyote swapped cars, 03 swapped drivetrains, 4valve swaps, restored foxes,etc. ****ing badass. We had some laughs and kicked some rocks all night and they dropped me off at a hotel. Came in Saturday and reassembled it all correctly and by 4pm she was on the dyno. Adam and his buddies are a bunch of awesome dudes and were all willing to help between customer cars and stuff. So the tune was done and I headed back towards St.Louis saturday evening. Well, I almost got out of Maryland when I got stopped by a sheriff while getting gas in a small town. He wasnt very nice and didnt believe me when I told him that in Missouri we dont have registration cards to keep in our wallet. So he decided to tow my car leaving me stranded to walk to a hotel. So sunday I spent the day walking back and forth in Hancock,Md getting paperwork faxed and borrowing cell phone chargers and bumming rides from locals, who were all so nice and apprently dislike this sheriff. Finally about 4pm my car gets released, costing me $160, and I get back on the road. Of course it was raing its ass off through Pennsylvania but after that it was on. The car got over 30mpgs cruising around 85mph the whole way back. I had to stop and sleep somewhere in Indiana and found that even though Im 6'1", if you fold the rear seat down and move the front seat up , I could lay fully stretched out into the trunk comfortably. So I finally got home around 5am here in St. Louis on monday morning.
WHEW!!!!!!
2012-09-29_21-10-13_825.jpg

thanks a million to all the JPC dudes, Justin, Tommy, Eric and the 2 other guys whos names I didnt get lol, they were awesome and took care of my shit real quick and professional. They even called me to see if I made it home ok, pretty much unheard of in this industry.

thanks a million to Adam, Ronnie, David and Leo up at Revolution for being cool and making my stay fun, and Adam working with Shaun getting my tune buttoned up. Adam is the real deal with the new 5.0. Hes low key but really understands the ins and outs of these cars.

thanks to Shaun at AED for doing the tune on my car the day before i made the trip pretty much lol

all in all the trip was stressful but I couldnt have asked to break the car around better dudes so really the trip was worth it all the way!!!!

Last edited:

FiveSpeed

Established Member
What a wild trip. Glad you made it home safely and with your Stang better then before!

You're getting 30 mpg at 85 mph with a Paxton/Vortech? 3.31 car? I can't get better then 25 mpg at 75 with Shaun's tune. I was getting 29-30 with Bama's tune at the same RPM. Impressive!

Last edited:

Bad Intention

Established Member
Now that is a adventure you had. It is good to hear that there are Shops in this ind. that are willing to help others when they are in need.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
What a wild trip. Glad you made it home safely and with your Stang better then before!

You're getting 30 mpg at 85 mph with a Paxton/Vortech? 3.31 car? I can't get better then 25 mpg at 75 with Shaun's tune. I was getting 29-30 with Bama's tune at the same RPM. Impressive!

built motor, vortech t-trim, 3.55s

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Damn, that sounds like an adventure!! Can't believe the Sheriff towed the car for not having registration with you.

Dave_6

Established Member
Wow what a trip that must have been! Props to JPC and Revolution for helping you out like that! Too bad I don't live anywhere close to them so they can do work for me.

Last edited:

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
I just did that to my rear end as well and now waiting on my tru trac. How do you like it if you don't mind me asking?

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
pretty stupid to try and make another pass on an already hurt car you could have limped back home.

it barely "limped" through the parking lot, what makes you think i couldve driven it 900 miles home. im glad it broke there where i had people to help me out then half way home in the middle of nowhere you douche

SicShelby09

Banned
it barely "limped" through the parking lot, what makes you think i couldve driven it 900 miles home. im glad it broke there where i had people to help me out then half way home in the middle of nowhere you douche

If you bearly limped back to the pits, then why the hell would you make another pass??????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
because i wanted to see if it could, and i drove all the way there so what the hell. i knew if it broke i was in a good spot

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Hey man im glad we could help you out! I saw you called today about that 02 sensor. Ill give you a call in a few we have been slammed today. If it doesnt work for you i can take it back and get u a refund or a different part just let me know.

Thanks

stang8psi

Established Member
glad it worked out for you! but like said above, you bearly made it to the pits but you wanted to see if it could make another pass? Not smart if you were 900 miles away from home with no tools, no ride, nothing! and if people like jpc werent local or too busy to help out a guy who shouldn't have done what they did you would be up shits creek! Also your car was tuned on a motor that the timing wasn't right? Balls brother balls.. your lucky you had a motor to even go to MD with let alone made a pass on!

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
Glad to hear that those folks squared you away when you were in a bind. There are still some decent human beings in this world. Sucks that you didnt really get to make any solid runs. But, as they say, its all about the adventure...

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
LOL who cares about the guys decisions this isnt a thread asking about if he made the right choices. Awesome story man, sounds like you had your hands full.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
glad it worked out for you! but like said above, you bearly made it to the pits but you wanted to see if it could make another pass? Not smart if you were 900 miles away from home with no tools, no ride, nothing! and if people like jpc werent local or too busy to help out a guy who shouldn't have done what they did you would be up shits creek! Also your car was tuned on a motor that the timing wasn't right? Balls brother balls.. your lucky you had a motor to even go to MD with let alone made a pass on!

i had a good backup plan and tools, just not able to fix it there. i have towing and stuff with a motorclub and was prepared to tow it to a shop if need be. im not scared to break my shit anywhere, its just a car and it can be fixed, no big deal. as for the motor, these engines can be off a tooth or so and run their asses off and youd never know it. when you go wot the timing resets to 0. so basically it wouldnt run commanded timing, but i drove it there with every intention of a low ten pass. anyway its all a learning experience for me, the more i break and fix the more i learn, rather than just read what others say i should do on the internet. i actually know what and why cuz i get out there and grip it and rip it. im a bmxer so im not a qualified mechanic by any means, this was the first motor i ever built and willing to learn the hard way

Users who are viewing this thread